This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• racist product names

I got a fax today from one of our clients about his product names and labels, in the fax it says.

"I would like to change the name of the products to gook 1 and gook 2 , and also I would like to use new labels for these products.

Now some people might think this guy might have not known what that means, but let me tell you, this guy is a big racist and this is intentional because his chinese partners terminated a big contract with his company due to communication issues.

Also the label has and old chinese man cartoon on it and it's all in yellow. Our HRM saw the labels and marched up stairs to talk to our boss and they are still talking up there.
    http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?i...hinamenoe8.gif this is kinda what the label looks like

(I'll update when I know what happens)
    Last edited by Think Blue; 08-23-2006, 08:54 PM.
    KAHN: I thought being smart person in Texas set her apart.

KAHN: If my girl doesn't wrestle, I'll show you who put the sue in Souphanousinphone!

You might want to add that your link has naked women in it. Just in case someone is at work.
    "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
    "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Yeesh. That guy has some issues.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

There's a cleaning liquid at the dollar store near me called "spic'n'span"

Comment

Quoth tonydanza View Post
          There's a cleaning liquid at the dollar store near me called "spic'n'span"
          That product has been around for over 70 years.

It's an expression that has nothing to do with racism. It's actually a shortened form for "spick-and-span"

"This term combines two nouns that are now obsolete, spick, "a nail" or "spike," and span, "a wooden chip." In the 1500s a sailing ship was considered spick and span when every spike and chip was brand-new. The transfer to the current sense took place in the mid-1800s."

Quoth ZumZum View Post
          You might want to add that your link has naked women in it. Just in case someone is at work.
          No nudity in the link I went to.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
            That product has been around for over 70 years.

It's an expression that has nothing to do with racism. It's actually a shortened form for "spick-and-span"

"This term combines two nouns that are now obsolete, spick, "a nail" or "spike," and span, "a wooden chip." In the 1500s a sailing ship was considered spick and span when every spike and chip was brand-new. The transfer to the current sense took place in the mid-1800s."
            We'll that's very interesting...

I've heard of the product before as well, never used it though.

Quoth Ree View Post
            No nudity in the link I went to.
            Right, I didn't see anything either, just the image and a frog, I even got a popup, but it was something for recipes - maybe that's where the nudity could've possibly come from?
            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

definate lack of nudity there.

the cartoon doesn't seem overly racist to me though, it's just a sterotypical chinese man which would suit chinese orienteered products

Comment

The original link posted had nudity on the left hand side. It is not there anymore. All is well. ThinkBlue edited the post after I mentioned it. Thanks for removing it.
                "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Well, no, it's not really racist, but I think that might change if one were to emblazon the word "gook" across it.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    ...that might change if one were to emblazon the word "gook" across it.
                    Definitely, the use of that word would change things quite a bit.
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

If you can tell us, what kind of product IS this? I'm just curious as to what the hell he thinks will sell better with a name like THAT...
                      Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

Comment

Quoth BlakeMP View Post
                        If you can tell us, what kind of product IS this? I'm just curious as to what the hell he thinks will sell better with a name like THAT...
                        It's just a vitamin to keep up your immune system. He is really really mad at his ex partners, but the best will be when he comes into the office, where our HRM will tear him a new one.
                        KAHN: I thought being smart person in Texas set her apart.

KAHN: If my girl doesn't wrestle, I'll show you who put the sue in Souphanousinphone!

Comment

I must be out of it.... I don't understand what "gook" is..... that's an offensive name for a Chinese person? I don't get it.......

Even if you're mad at someone, do you want to alienate a whole race of customers from purchasing your product? It's prob. a crap product anyway -what does a chinese person on the label have to do with keeping up your immune system anyway??

Comment

Quoth air914
                            I must be out of it.... I don't understand what "gook" is..... that's an offensive name for a Chinese person? I don't get it.......
                            Here's the story on the word "gook," as explained to me by my father-in-law who spent a very long year in Korea, and married a Korean woman. Please excuse spellings and possible error here, he was there in the late sixties, and I heard this all a year or so ago. Apparently, "han-guk" or "han-gook," is a Korean word meaning Korean. When American soldiers came over, they didn't understand Korean, didn't like being in Korea, and began referring to Koreans as 'gooks.' For some reason, the term morphed over the years to include all Asian people, and is obviously not a nice thing to say to anyone. I have never heard it used seriously by anyone whose opinion I particularly respect.

Think Blue, let us know what your HRM says to this jack-arse! I can't imagine anyone thinking it was ok to use a word like that in a business conversation.
                            Last edited by Ree; 08-24-2006, 10:44 PM. Reason: Correcting name of OP
                            Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

It's been a few months, now... what happened?

Comment

Working...
                              X