X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When sales tax goes up...

...people get dumber.

I give this "lady' her check and she waves me back over and takes her daughter's crayon from her kid's menu and adds up the prices on the menu versus the prices that are on the check; since apparently it's different than the last time she was there. She says: "So 3.99 plus 3.99 is....?" and I say "Well, you wrote it down, you know better than me. Besides, I'm a student of social science."

Yes, I did say this to her. I don't have time to write down a cutesy script like y'all usually do; but the point I'm trying to make is that she thinks that in the middle of a dinner rush on a Friday night I'm going to sit down and do math with her. I said my manager would be more than happy to. (He came to the same conclusion and she wouldn't leave until our very pissed-off owner came out to explain to her that she had to pay a few cents more because sales tax went from 5-6%).

PS: It's a lot higher in DC so stop whining.
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

What would have been even better would be if she paid the bill, but gave you a crappy tip. You could catch her before she leaves, grab a crayon, show her the bill, and say, "Now your bill is $xx.xx, so 15% of that is...." and just stare at her like she's a two year-old.

Comment

In the years that I worked in Convenience Store Hell, I saw the sales tax go up from 4% to 5%, then back down to 4%, and up to 5% again. (Vermont's sales tax now stands at 6%.) I'd get plenty of crap from people who had to pay a little more for things bike wine and cigarettes.

Since that store's specialty is beverages (primarily of the alcoholic variety), I can only imagine the crap that started flying when Vermont applied its sales tax to beer for the first time in 2006.
      "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

In my county/state, our sales tax is 8%. It's lower now, since it used to be 8.5%. Sheesh. People and their pennies.

During the new school year, we have a week of no sales tax on clothing purchases (up to $100.00 I think). People come out in droves to buy clothes for their families. Way to boost business, though.

Oh and I forgot to mention. 200th post! Yay!
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          In my county/state, our sales tax is 8%. It's lower now, since it used to be 8.5%. Sheesh. People and their pennies.

During the new school year, we have a week of no sales tax on clothing purchases (up to $100.00 I think). People come out in droves to buy clothes for their families. Way to boost business, though.

Oh and I forgot to mention. 200th post! Yay!
          The Missouri tax rate is just 4% but we also do the tax free week before school. It is crazy to see all the people who come out to save 5 bucks.

Comment

Quoth pyxee View Post
            The Missouri tax rate is just 4% but we also do the tax free week before school. It is crazy to see all the people who come out to save 5 bucks.
            They don't do that in Ohio where I live now, but when I lived in Florida, they did the same thing. I, too, was completely floored at the lengths people would go to to save 6.00 or so. I accidentally wandered into a Wally-world during one of these special times, and I swear it was nearly as bad as Black Friday.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth pyxee View Post

I would rather go out the week before, pay a little sales tax to help pay for the schools, roads, fire protection, etc. from which I benefit, AND skip the lines.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Here in Canada our GST has went down twice in three years, from 7 to 5%.

To offset the tax cut the federal government gave us on GST two weeks ago, the Ontario Government was seriously considering raising the PST to 9%.

Fortunately they didn't do that. But imagine the customers who get the same thing every time would get it at the same price they would get at 7% GST even though in the rest of the country it was 6%.

I really haven't noticed much difference myself.

I just realize I had. I would have saved $18 on my PS3 with Madden NFL 08, if I had waited the extra week for the GST to come down
                Last edited by deafcat24; 01-13-2008, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                  They don't do that in Ohio where I live now, but when I lived in Florida, they did the same thing. I, too, was completely floored at the lengths people would go to to save 6.00 or so. I accidentally wandered into a Wally-world during one of these special times, and I swear it was nearly as bad as Black Friday.
                  If you live by PA though, it's nice to go shopping there. We don't often, but my mom and I might make a trip to an outlet mall in PA and the experience is nice, the no-tax is bonus.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    I would rather go out the week before, pay a little sales tax to help pay for the schools, roads, fire protection, etc. from which I benefit, AND skip the lines.
                    Don't forget Military and Law Enforcement!

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                    If you live by PA though, it's nice to go shopping there. We don't often, but my mom and I might make a trip to an outlet mall in PA and the experience is nice, the no-tax is bonus.
                    Why, thank you. I would like to take this opportunity to accept your praise for my state. We do try to make any visits to our little slice of North America pleasant for those who bother to show up.
                    "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Around here, our sales tax is 8%. Sometimes, I if I have a line to wait in, I will try add it to the penny of what I am paying. Other times, I will just do 19 cents on the dollar
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

you guys should all be glad... here it is 25%

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                          Around here, our sales tax is 8%. Sometimes, I if I have a line to wait in, I will try add it to the penny of what I am paying. Other times, I will just do 19 cents on the dollar
                          I sure hope that is a typo...8% is 8 cents on the dollar, not 19. That would be 19%
                          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth ImadeYouACookie View Post
                            you guys should all be glad... here it is 25%
                            Holy jumpin'! I'd emigrate if it were that high here in Canada.
                            Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

I remember a year and a half ago when the NJ sales tax went from 6% to 7%. Everyone was screaming bloody murder, except me.

I have no idea why...In WI before I moved out here it was 5.6%.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X