This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Idiots

I got called into work tonight. I was supposed to have a couple of days off after burning myself, but my hand doesn't hurt anymore, so I decided to cure my boredom and help my bank balance by going in.

It is really busy, we have a 25 minute wait on food. There is a group of four people sitting near the kitchen door. Every time I walk out, one of them pipes up.

SC: IS THAT OURS??

SC: WHERE IS OUR FOOD!

SC: SURELY THIS TIME!

I finally take out their food. The SC is in the middle of walking back to his table.

SC: Thank god! I'm just back from complaining about you! We've been waiting for an hour!

Liar liar. His check had been waiting 20 minutes, his reciept said 20 minutes and even his wife said 20 minutes. Yet he kept insisting it was an hour.

I went back for twom more of their meals. He pipes up again.

SC: I ORDERED ONION RINGS! WHERE ARE MY ONION RINGS??

I could have sworn there were onion rings on his plate when I took it out. So could the kitchen staff, but they weren't there. I got them to cook some more. As I take them out, and the SC is sat munching on some onion rings!

Me: Wait, are those your onion rings?
    SC: Yes, HE hid them from me!

He points at his very smug looking friend, who told me he hid them under the table as a joke.

Me: So you won't be needing these new ones then.
    SC: Oh no, we're going to have them.
    Me: Are you going to pay for them?
    SC: No! Why would we? They're only going to go to waste now! So come on!
    Me: I'm sorry but you have to pay for them.
    SC: No, we're not paying, but we're still going to have them!
    Me: Oh you are, are you?
    SC: Yes!
    Me: You're bloody well not!

I walked away. He called me back but I ignored him. Amazingly he didn't do anything else about it, but I have a feeling he his the "letter writing" sort.

SC comes to the bar.

SC: Can I have a bottle of <brand name> champagne?
    Me: Sure.

I look, and there are no more bottles that are refridgerated. Just some slightly chilled ones from a cupboard out the back.

Me: I'm sorry, but we don't have any cold ones left. They're...warm.
    SC: It's OK, I'm not bothered.
    Me: I could put it in a cooler for you.
    SC: No, we're drinking it right away, we don't want to have to wait for it to chill.
    Me: So, you're CERTAIN you want this champagne?
    SC: Yes.

I open it and hand it to him. He rubs his hand down the bottle.

SC: Oh, you know what, it is a bit too warm.
    Me: I warned you!
    SC: Yes, and I am paying good money for this, I don't want a warm bottle.
    Me: But I told you it was going to be warm.
    SC: But this is too warm.
    Me: Well, if you don't pay for this, I will bar you.
    SC: What??
    Me: I told you it was going to warm! You said you weren't bothered! Don't think I can't see what you're trying to do.
    SC: Fine!

He hands me the money.

SC: I can see that you don't care, after all, it's not you that has to drink it!

After dealing with you sir, I wish I could.

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
    I got called into work tonight. I was supposed to have a couple of days off after burning myself, but my hand doesn't hurt anymore, so I decided to cure my boredom and help my bank balance by going in.
    You DID go see a Dr, right?

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
    IMe: So you won't be needing these new ones then.
    SC: Oh no, we're going to have them.
    Me: Are you going to pay for them?
    SC: No! Why would we? They're only going to go to waste now! So come on!
    Me: I'm sorry but you have to pay for them.
    SC: No, we're not paying, but we're still going to have them!
    Me: Oh you are, are you?
    SC: Yes!
    Me: You're bloody well not!
    I would have set them down on the table, and said "Well, here's your second order." They were the reason they were cooked after all, and unless someone else wants them right away, they'll go to waste.

Eric the Grey
    Last edited by Broomjockey; 01-14-2008, 01:29 AM. Reason: editing quotes
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
      You DID go see a Dr, right?

I would have set them down on the table, and said "Well, here's your second order." They were the reason they were cooked after all, and unless someone else wants them right away, they'll go to waste.

Eric the Grey
      Hehe yeah I saw someone. Hands all fine and dandy, just have to keep it clean and bandaged. You can't tell it's burned unless you see between my fingers.

We sell a lot of onion rings, so it wasn't a problem, they went to someone else. But I would have gladly eaten them myself if it meant wiping that smug grin off this face, even if it was wastage.

Comment

why do so many peoplpe on here seem to be able to get away with telling customers off when you know they're trying to get free stuff. If I did I'd be fired on the spot...
        We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

Quoth d962831 View Post
          why do so many peoplpe on here seem to be able to get away with telling customers off when you know they're trying to get free stuff. If I did I'd be fired on the spot...
          I second that remark.
          I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Under what moronic system does he get the free rings? Geez, some people are such tards.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

It all depends on who their boss is or if they are a chain or corporate type of restaurant. The truck stop I worked at was a chain, and management was insistent on pleasing the customer at whatever expense to the employees. I had a monkey dish thrown at me by a manager. I was told to keep waiting on a table of frat guys who wouldn't stop trying to pinch my ass and give them my number.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I really wish I had the balls to answer back to customers like that. Assholes the lot of them. I've only just got the hang of saying to people "It says Buy One Get One Half Price not Buy One Get One Free", before showing them the ticket, and I've ben in this game 8 years.

"Well, that's not very clear is it? It's a bit confusing.."

HOW IS IT CONFUSING?! I scream inside my head IT'S CLEAR AS CRYSTAL BELL!

"Mmmm, yes... it is rather isn't it?"

"Can I have a refund, please?"

"Yes, of course"

GRR!!!

WHY CARNT PEOPLE READ?!
                Last edited by autumn_soul; 01-13-2008, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Quoth d962831 View Post
                  As Blas said, it all depends on the boss. I've had some jobs where I'd be fired on the spot, and I've had some jobs where the boss allowed whatever it took to keep the shop running efficiently--that meant keeping the employees happy! And I've been the boss that allowed, nay encouraged, the employees to stand up for themselves!

My position now pretty much allows me to ream the "customers" (students) out, in private of course, if I feel it's necessary to keep the classroom running smoothly.
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

The OP is in the UK, and the UK and Canada employers are usually cooler about their employees responding in kind to SCs. None of that "the customer is always right" BS.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

One good thing about my retail hell days is that my manager did not have a 'the customer is always right' attitude. So, if a customer crossed the line with us, she had no problem with us putting them in their places, as long as we did not go too far overboard. She did it herself more than once. If it got too out of hand, we were to call a manager & let them deal with it. Not all retail workers are lucky enough to have a boss like that, unfortunately.
                      "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                      ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

You should have thrown them in the dumpster and then sat back and watched him dumpster dive lol
                        Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

I would have taken the onion rings and ate them meself! In view of that customer, haha. I had onion rings yesterday incidentally and they were quite tasty.

My manager now is quite the rolling over type. We had a larger man hunt down our little 5 foot waitress because of something and he was sitting there screaming "I want to track her down! I'm going to fucking tell her off." All while the little girl is in the back cowering. The manager does not throw this 300 plus 6 foot tall man out, oh no..he buys him some drinks.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                            The OP is in the UK, and the UK and Canada employers are usually cooler about their employees responding in kind to SCs. None of that "the customer is always right" BS.
                            It's true (to an extent). Even though no one outright says it, it's generally understood at my work that the customer is always wrong until proven otherwise.

Comment

At the place I work we're told to be nice, however, If a customer is extremely rude we are allowed to kick them off our lot. The greatest example of this is when a carhop of ours (I work at a Sonic) was doing the morning shift at 7 a.m. We generally don't have a manager at that time and you only have the amount of money that is left for you the night before so usually nothing more than twenty dollar bills for the first couple hours. That particular morning though, a SC orders a drink that was 1.75 and tried to pay with an 100 dollar bill.

Our girl told her that we can't accept that and the SC threw...I mean threw that drink at her and told her to go eff herself. That women is forever banned from our lot and If I see her again...anywhere I'd really like to give her what she deserves.

Comment

Working...
                              X