Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I caught that...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry, I'm not sure I caught that...

Not really sucky, just... odd, I guess.
    Kid comes up to my till, has a model car and a paint tray in hand. I ring both, the system prompts for birthdate for the paint tray ("WTH?" says I...). I ask kid for his birthdate. He tells me XX/XX/1992.
    RJ: "*ker-BLINK* I'm sorry, did you say 1992?"
    "Yes."
    RJ: "I'm afraid I can't sell you this tray, as Texas law states you must be 18 to legally purchase this."
    "Oh."

The lady in line behind him, after he pays for his model, asks me what was in the paint that I couldn't sell it to him.
    RJ: "The fumes can be used to get high. At least, that's the story I've been told. It's Texas law, either way."
    "I call murder on that!"

There are the same laws in California. You get carded for puffy paint now. It really sucks for the kids who have a legit hobby and don't have parents/guardians who can purchase for them. (Some parents don't support hobbies, some don't want to get off their couches to go to the store)

Comment

Last week at Wally World, the register prompted for DOB when I purchased a gallon of windshield washer fluid. Anybody who wants to try huffing that stuff deserves the blinding headache they're likely to get! This is the first time I've seen this happen, but then carding for Sharpie markers surprised me the first time, too.
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Chuckles, "I suspect the wash fluid was a mistake, at Wallyworld there's a flag you set for what type of age restriction on the product, and seeing as how wash fluid is little more than seriously diluted Windex usually, I don't think you can get high off of that. Now markers and paints I can understand, you can definitely do that, ifn you don't value your brain. Wait, if they're doing stuff like this, its already too late."
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

The country has finally gone down the rabbit hole. I thought you had to be high to think like that. I think the ruling class is high.

Comment

I got carded at wal-mart when I bought my 2 year old neice a Clifford video.... yeah..you must be 18 to buy a rated G movie....she said their GM decided to card for all videos.
            "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
              The country has finally gone down the rabbit hole. I thought you had to be high to think like that. I think the ruling class is high.
              Won't somebody please think of the children, you know.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Well, I've only been carded for spray paint so far (in Tennessee), but I don't do a lot of hobby stuff. Although I know that kids get high off of it, you might as well card glue, hairspray, and cough medicine. Anything can be a poison, and any poison can be a drug. I say don't card them and let natural selection weed them out.

Quoth king4aday View Post
                I got carded at wal-mart when I bought my 2 year old neice a Clifford video.... yeah..you must be 18 to buy a rated G movie....she said their GM decided to card for all videos.
                At Wal-Mart, a place notorious for sucky customers, I can actually see this. If enough parents came in irate that their kid bought a rated-for-their-age-group movie that had one thing in it the parent didn't approve of but didn't feel like actually discussing with their kid... Well, the GM might eventually decide that it's less of a PITA just to disallow kids from buying videos.
                Last edited by napoleana; 01-16-2008, 01:53 AM.
                The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

I've been carded for fuel additives, windshield washer fluid, Sharpies, super glue, and now they even look at you funny when you buy Niquil and Dayquil.

As if people over 18 don't still get desperate enough to get high off of spray paint.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Don'tcha know? Kids can get high off of any chemical that smells bad!
                    "Reverse racism" lol

Comment

I worked at a hardware store for a few years. The thing that I didn't understand the most was that some cans of spray paint were to be carded for and some weren't. Every time I got a can of spray paint through my line I never knew the difference between the carded and non carded--and I worked there, imagine if some teen had figured out which ones weren't carded.

Comment

Quoth napoleana View Post
                        Well, I've only been carded for spray paint so far (in Tennessee), but I don't do a lot of hobby stuff.
                        As far as I understand with the spray paint, they're carding for it to decrease tagging, I think.
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                          As far as I understand with the spray paint, they're carding for it to decrease tagging, I think.
                          It would depend on the location. Massachusetts doesn't require carding for spray paint, but Methuen MA city ordnance does. In this case it is to deter vandalism (of course, that doesn't prevent anyone from going one town over and getting spray paint THERE )

Thankfully, they don't card at my store (where I used to work) and I am 25 so it doesn't matter anyway

(Though come to think of it, I believe they won't sell model rocket engines to anyone under 18 without a parent or guardian present. I think it's more on general principle than any legal reason, though).
                          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Marnier View Post
                            I worked at a hardware store for a few years. The thing that I didn't understand the most was that some cans of spray paint were to be carded for and some weren't. Every time I got a can of spray paint through my line I never knew the difference between the carded and non carded--and I worked there, imagine if some teen had figured out which ones weren't carded.

I think that it could be due to some spray cans not containing the necessary chemicals to get high off. But if you couldn't tell the difference between cans then I've no idea. as the ones you can't get high off tend to be labelled quite clearly "solvent free" or such like.

I used to do so much modelling as a kid (and still do some) and had never had problems getting paints or glues, but modelling knives and scalpels, those were impossible to get! (though its understandable why)
                            "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                            Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Here the only items "controlled" by age are alcohol, tobacco and lottery tickets. Both are 19 except lotto which is 18.

Here's the problem: Some stores have taken it upon themselves to stop youth smoking and to stop youth drinking. 2 years ago I went into a store ("The Wine Rack") to buy my mom a corkscrew (We were camping and she wanted one) and they wouldn't sell it to me without ID. So I bought it at the grocery store which this store was located in. Last summer I went into a store ("Dollarama") to buy one of those large barbeque lighters (we were camping and ours ran out of fluid and can't be refilled) and they wouldn't sell it to me unless I could prove I was 18. (stupid, smoking age is 19)
                              Otaku

Comment

Working...
                              X