Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really that hard to say "hi" and "thanks"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it really that hard to say "hi" and "thanks"?

Something I've really noticed lately on the registers is every day you'll get some people that will say nothing when I greet them. They'll either just stand there and scowl or continue yacking away with their companions. Then they'll say, you guessed it, nothing when I hand them their bags and tell them to have a great day. I mean, seriously, WTF? No "Hi" or "thanks". Not even a smile or a nod. Nothing. I know I shouldn't take it personally, but it makes me feel like you think you're looking down on me, like I'm scum because I make minimum wage. I know people have bad days and shit going on in their lives, but still, it doesn't take much to say, "Thanks" or 'You too" when I say have a great day after scanning your crap which you more than likely made me dig out from your basket that you couldn't be bothered to unload, which is another huge pet peeve....

I've noticed this too. I make a point when I go out, especially when the drive-thru person asks me politely how I am, to be polite in return, and ask how they are, all that. Any little bit that might help make someone else's day better.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Some people are not social able. Some people are shy. I, myself am shy. But with me, I at least try to say something.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Hee!

This reminds me of yesterday when I greeted this lady with her daughter:

Me: (sunnily) Oh, hi! Did you ladies need any assistance over here?
        Lady:

Yep, damned if the woman didn't give me a death glare as though I'd tacked on '...you dried up old cows, you" at the end.
        Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

Back in the 70's I used to always say Hi! to customers all the time but after one too many people saying things like, "Not right now but probably later," or "No, this town is so dry, you have any," or "All the time," I just started saying Hello.

There is no reason to not greet someone in some way. It's just good business and good manners.
          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

I'm terminally shy, well into the social phobia range, but I still say 'Hi', 'Thank you' and 'Have a nice day' to the cashiers at my supermarket.
            Okay, so I say it quietly but it's there with a smile.

There's no need to work out your foul mood on people who are just trying to help you.

Comment

I greet any employee that comes my way when I shop. I just don't understand how it's so hard for some to just say "hi", "please" or thanks".
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I'm supposed to greet every customer that comes in the door, so I do. Even the shy kids (it's a gaming store, lots of shy kids) will at least nod or something. When people don't respond, I usually say, loudly, in an overly cheerful voice, "Fantastic!"

That usually confuses/shocks people into responding.
                Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

I'm not a very sociable person. If someone says 'Hi' to me, I'm as likely to nod in reaction as I am to say 'Hi' back. I will say 'Thanks' or 'Thank you' at the end, though, with one exception.

Some people seem to take a silent person as some sort of affront, and will push and push to get something vocal from me. Those people get nothing.
                  The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

My mom's one of those people. She seems like a total b*tch ignoring greeters and associates, but it's just that she's really shy and gets a bit panicy in crowds due to being shut in all her life. Personally, if someone doesn't respond to me I don't care. It's not going to hurt my feelings.
                    Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

If I see someone I say Hi, unless they say hi first. Then I'll say hi back, of course, but sometimes I talk quietly so maybe they don't hear me.

Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Sometime if I am shopping when it is busy and I say something in response to the cashier/employees greeting they almost look shocked that people listen to them.

Comment

Yeah, I'm really quiet, and painfully shy but it was required of me growing up -when mind you I was even more introverted- to always say "hi", "thank you" to cashiers and such. And since I started working, I ALWAYS at least say "thank you", and sometimes, I'll even make small talk.
                          People should at least acknowledge the employee in someway. I don't believe people should be aloud to like leave Kindergarten- or no later than 1st grade, with out being able to say 'Please' 'Thank You' and at least NOD in the direction of someone who is helping them/ringing up their stuff/ what-have-you
                          Yes- I'm the supervisor today
                          Yes I'm young
                          Get Over It.....and have a nice day

Comment

I hate it too when I greet someone and they look at me like I just insulted their parentage. My other peeve is when I greet someone and they respond with 'not now, just looking.' I've so had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "The proper response to 'How are you?' is 'Fine, thanks.' " Heck, even 'horrible' would be better than 'just looking.' It would at least be honest.
                            Last edited by Teysa; 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM. Reason: thought of something else
                            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Oh I remember those days! Many a times, I'd greet a customer at the check out, and they would just ignore me. Then I'd ask if they had any coupons and they would just shake their head no. You'd think they were mute or something! But they always found their voice to tell you they wanted paper bags or if something rang up wrong!

But here's one of my favorites from the dept store days:

Me: (cheerful) Hello, how are you today?

SC: JUST BROWSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

thinking "did is ASK you if you needed help, geeze, all I said was hello"

I always make it a point to say hello to a salesperson or cashier and to thank them and wish them a nice day.

I truly believe that if eveyone were required to work in retail or some sort of service type job dealing with the public that they would not be as rude to others.

Comment

Working...
                              X