This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia day moron

I have to mention race because it's relevant to the story.

I'm cashiering on Australia day, i'm serving a customer and behind him there was a lovely japanese couple.
    I finish serving this guy and wish him a nice day,this si how it went.

SC "Happy Australia day, wait a minute, it is Australia day isn't it?"
    Me "Yep it sure is"
    SC " it feels like it's only HALF Australia day these days doesn't it?"

He directed that question at the Japanese couple, he was giving them foul looks.

I'm sorry, we live in a multicultural society and what he said was so rude, thank god the couple didn't understand what he said, but i was ready to knock his block off

I hate racist arseholes

Was he Aborigine? If not, then where does he get off?

(What's Australia day, anyway?)
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

No he wasn't aboriginal, he was redneck type of guy, smelled bad, missing a few teeth.

26th of January is Australia day, it was the day captain cook founded Australia back in 1776.

Comment

Quoth Chained to the counter View Post
        No he wasn't aboriginal, he was redneck type of guy, smelled bad, missing a few teeth.

26th of January is Australia day, it was the day captain cook founded Australia back in 1776.
        Ah, so it's celebrating people who were born somewhere else entirely going off to live in a new country? (please note the irony inherent in the question)
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Someone needs to remind him that race has nothing to do with how Australian/Canadian/American/whatever you are.
          I'm white but if I was born in Africa I'd be African because of where I was born, though racially Caucasian.
          Your race is only the colour of your skin, not how Australian (or whatever) you are.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
            Ah, so it's celebrating people who were born somewhere else entirely going off to live in a new country? (please note the irony inherent in the question)
            hehe, good point...

I wonder if his ancestors were part of Britain's criminal element....
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I think i had a couple of ancestors who come over on that boat

One was a guy whole stole a loaf of bread.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Was he Aborigine? If not, then where does he get off?

he might've been a british prisoner.

Comment

Australia Day actually commemorates Captain Phillip's landing at Port Jackson in 1788 and the subsequent establishement of the first white colony on this continent. Captain Cook claimed Terra Nullis Australianus for the Crown in 1770 but this is not as widely commemorated.

It is somewhat odd that we celebrate criminals travelleling around the world to steal another country, yes.

In fact, during the 1988 Bicentenary celebrations in Sydney a large group of Aboriginals held an 'Invasion Day' commemoration, and the matter is still rather a sore point - especially considering our rather poor history of co-existance with Aboriginal people and the huge social disparity that still troubles us today.

Suggestions have been made in the past the our national day instead be April 25, which is currently ANZAC Day, or Janurary 1, whichwould commemorate Federation.

Still, it is unfortunate that even today, closed-minded bigots like in the OP spoil it for us.
                  I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Gosh, I hate that. My biggest pet peeve is when someone starts complaining about immigrants.

...I live in the US. 99% of the population were immigrants at some point in their family history/blood line. Natives are rare nowadays in parts.

I want to hit rude people.
                    "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

I hate bigots. I wish we could just throw them in the ocean and make the world a better place.
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
                        Gosh, I hate that. My biggest pet peeve is when someone starts complaining about immigrants.
                        According to the latest scientific theories I've heard, everyone who isn't African is an immigrant. You just have to go back to before recorded history to find the 'immigration records'.

As for the main topic:

“I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!” - Tom Lehrer

National Brotherhood Week is a song Lehrer wrote about the whole bigotry thing, and it's as true for Australia as it is for the USA (where Lehrer worked and lived).
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
                          ...I live in the US. 99% of the population were immigrants at some point in their family history/blood line. Natives are rare nowadays in parts.
                          Technically...if you want to go back far enough...Native Americans probably came here across the land bridge during the last ice age. So by that theory, none of us are really native to the Americas.

Then...if you go back EVEN MORE...we all came from Africa to begin with. So, therefore, we are all Africans.

There, I have just ended racism once and for all (Ah, I wish it was really that easy).

Comment

Thanks, JustZu. We're all ultimately immigrants, just some got here first. Unfortunately, the next wave of immigrants never seems to be able to just settle in and live with the first group, at least, not for long.

I'm planning, when I have the spare cash, to send in my DNA to the National Geographic Genographic Project, just to find out how much of a mutt I am.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                              Australia day is Australia's national day similar to America's July 4th (I think it is).

I don't know about America, but Australia is a multicultural country and just cause someone is japanese, doesn't mean their not Australian. And doesn't mean they cna't visit our country if they weren't... the guy in the Ops post... I just want to pound him to dust...

MMO Addicts group

Comment

Working...
                              X