This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that make you go hmmmm....

We've had a major change at my store in the last couple of weeks. We've been operating on a skeleton crew for several months, but the last few weeks have been even worse. The manager quit for legitimate reasons in the wake of a major dispute with the area supervisor. I honestly don't blame her as the situation was handled poorly, but that's all I care to say about it. Since her departure, most of the staff we'd had has quit, too. Basically, I'm the only employee in our store who has been with the company for any measureable length of time. I completed my first year in early October.

The area supervisor decided to move me from second shift to day shift because I have the most seniority and have prior management experience. He then appointed a manager from a sister store to be our interim manager. The interim manager had to fill in on graveyard shift because the new trainee who hired in for graveyard called in and quit at the last minute earlier this week. So, Wednesday was a day of hell for me because I worked alone. I was slammed with customers and vendors all day long, as well as several maintenance issues which popped up unexpectedly.

Drive-offs had been a hot-button issue lately because the area supervisor issued a decree to all managers that employees are to be written up for drive-offs due to a large number of occurrences over the holidays. The catch, though, is that we've been told that we're not allowed to make customers prepay lest we lose their business. Whatever, I basically operate as I see fit when I'm running a shift, especially if I'm working alone.

So, I was watching several regulars pump gas without incident. Another car called for authorization, and it had a front vanity plate for one of the major local auto dealerships. I was somewhat on auto pilot because it was early afternoon, and I hadn't had a chance to eat because I was slammed. I authorized this car without giving it much thought, but I kept watching it for some reason. I couldn't see the driver very well. Something told me to make a note of the vehicle's description, so I did. It was a slate blue Aurora with a dealership vanity plate.

One of the dealerships had sent several vehicles to fill up on their charge account with us, and one of the reps told me they'd be sending several more throughout the afternoon. Okay, that's business as usual. The customer at the pump next to the Aurora came in to pay for his gas on the dealership's charge account. As he finished, I happened to notice the Aurora was gone. I asked him if he knew anything about it. He said he'd seen it go around the side of the building. So, he looked as he walked back toward his vehicle. He came in to tell me he saw no signs of the vehicle.

I called it in as a drive-off, gave the dispatcher the description, and obtained the case number per procedure. I figured it was yet another loss that I'd be written up for, and yet again find myself writing another protest which would fall on deaf ears. These write ups aren't considered grounds for termination or anything like that, just a pointless "wake-up call to be more aware of who is at the gas pumps," as the area manager calls it. So, I was feeling particularly disgusted with the lowlife dregs of humanity, and getting bitchier by the moment as I thought about it. At least I'd be going home as soon as my relief arrived for shift change. My day was almost done.

About half an hour later, the dispatcher called me back to inform me that police had stopped the vehicle I described. The driver admitted that he drove away without paying, but that he knew me and the former manager. What? I thought to myself as she said that. She then asked me if we wanted to prosecute. So, I told her that I'd need to talk to the area supervisor about that, so asked to have the officer who made the stop pay me a visit when possible before the end of my shift so I could discuss it with him.

The officer arrived within another half an hour. I had already called the area supervisor by that time, and he said he'd come by the store to talk to the officer himself. Come to find out, the driver who stole the gas was the former manager's brother, and I was quick to jump on his case as soon as he showed up to pay for his gas. I told him that it didn't matter who he knew, no one with an ounce of common sense pulls a stunt like that and expects to be let off the hook. Oh, I can't even begin to describe how mad I was at that point. The vice president of the company then shows up to see what's going on. So, there stand the driver, the officer, the area supervisor, and the vice president of the company.

The driver makes a comment about not being mad at anyone. My jaw just drops at this point Are you kidding me? You pull a stunt like this, and then have the nerve to say something like that!

The VP responds, "We're the ones who should be mad."

The area supervisor then conveys to the officer and the driver that he is banned from all company facilities, and any future appearances will be considered trespassing. The driver then pays and leaves.

The officer leaves. The VP then shakes my hand and thanks me for keeping a watch on the store. He then hands me a $10 gift card. The VP and the area supervisor chat amongst themselves as they walk around the store. The VP then leaves shortly afterward. The area supervisor hangs around to do a few things before he leaves.

The next day, the interim manager holds up the note I left her on my paperwork about the receipts concerning the drive-off incident, and asks what happened. So, I tell her the story, and she just shakes her head in disbelief.

Events like these are why I always say it's another day in paradise when I'm at work.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

The driver makes a comment about not being mad at anyone.
    Welcome to Entitlement Society. Where people who witness two adults giving each other a hug can claim sexual harrassment.

Sounds like your VP is pretty good. He did what I myself have done. Back up my employee when they're in the right and reward the employee when they stop a theft.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
      The VP then shakes my hand and thanks me for keeping a watch on the store. He then hands me a $10 gift card.
      Damn...Well I guess it's better than nothing. A gift card to where if I might ask?
      Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

So he got away with it?

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          So he got away with it?
          Nope, he had to pay and barely got away without a criminal charge. If he shows up at any company station ever again, he's charged with trespassing at the least.

aurelemsrealm is the one that got the gift card.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

No, he didn't get away with it. He was banned for good. What's sad is that he knew full well what he was trying to pull, but he still thought he'd get by with it by saying that he knew me. I don't give a crap who it is, right is right and wrong is wrong. Theft is wrong. Any family or friend of mine will tell you that I'd hunt them down for trying that kind of stunt on me. In any case, he's not even family or friend of mine, just an acquaintance.

His sister was the previous manager at our store, but she'd have never tolerated him pulling a stunt like that on her. I've seen her jump his case a couple of times over not paying for things. Essentially, the guy is a mooch, and thief when he can get by with it. He lives at his sister's house, and constantly freeloads off her. I can understand not turning your back on family or friends, but even that only goes so far before enough is enough.

Sorry, it just makes me mad to think there are people like that in the world.

Someone asked about the gift card. It was a Shell gift card. Our company operates Shell and BP franchises. I work in one of the BP stations, but there are several Shell stations within a reasonable distance, too. I've already used it toward gas, but it's sad that $10 barely moves the needle on the gas guage.
            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
            X