This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers say the Darnedst things.

I'm not sure if this is a true story, or a joke. I'm inclined to think it's true, given the man that told it to me and the circumstances of it. Yet, it makes a great joke as well.

Gene was a man I worked with for some time while at my first job. (CNC saw operatoer). I remember listening to him talk about his first few jobs, one of which was on a road crew for the county. Gene once told me that early in the morning, or on cold days, they (the crew he ran) would head to this old electronics store. They'd all camp out on this bench behind the counter, sitting near the gas space heater. Now, I know this place, having camped on that bench myself, and I can honestly say that you could sit there watching people in the store, and never have them know you were there. Gene's story is as follows:

One day, he and his crew were sitting there talking with the owner. As they sat there, the door opened, and a very businesslike woman came in. She had a small part in her hand, something that may have been used with a door. Whatever it was, the t hing was tiny, but sold in several bits.

Walking up to the owner (never once seeing the guys on the bench) she offered over the thing. "I need a replacement." she said. Looking at the object, the owner retreated to the back leaving the lady to wander.

She poked about the store, looking at this and that, before coming to this huge television. You know the type, set in those wood cases. High tech for the seventies. Looking up and down at the thing, she smiled some. Obviously, she liked what she saw.

The owner returned, carrying the part, but not knowing what the woman was doing. Putting the thing down, he looked at it and asked. "Want the screw for it?" but due to his accent, it came out more as "Wanna screw for it?"

Looking at the thing, the woman hummed, shook her head and said "No, but I will for that TV."

Gene and his crew broke out laughing, Gene himself falling off his stool.

------------------------

hell hath no dismay like a woman caught putting her foot in her mouth.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.
Working...
X