Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, I AM capable of independent thought (longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I AM capable of independent thought (longish)

Hey all, this is my first SC post, so please be gentle.

I used to work at a chemist (a drugstore) on weekends. For reasons that were usually very little to do with the customers themselves, I hated every moment, but that's a "Morons in Management" post

Anyway, this is a story about the single customer that annoyed me more than any of them. This happened about a year ago, and I still remember it verbatim, so it must have annoyed me more than I thought.

SW - Sucky Old Woman
    Me - Yours Truly

SW1: Excuse me, are these on special offer?

She holds out a two tea tree oil bottles that are stuck together.

Me: Erm, I don't think so, no.
    SW1: Only they've been stuck together, you see.
    Me: *takes a look* Hm, I don't think -
    SW1: See, that looks like somebody's done it on purpose. So they must be buy one get one free.
    Me: *Alarm bells ringing* Can I look at it?

I took a look, and sure enough, a wadge of packing gum is stuck between the bottles. You know, that stuff that sticks free CDs to the front of magazines. However, it's off-center, and barely clinging on. It looks like someone's glue-gun leaked and they just missed it. But here's the problem - there are two barcodes. If two things are meant to be sold as one unit, they have cellophane or something on them, with one barcode on them, so as not to confuse merchants. This is as opposed to a store promotion, in which both units have to be put through the till.

Me: I don't think there's an offer. It looks a bit accidental-
    SW1: Well would you just go and check, girl! *glare*
    Me: All right, (keep your pants on...)

I then wandered off to the Pharmacy and healthcare section, where I talked to J, the guru of all things health related and head pharmacist. I trusted her implictly, as she had saved my arse multiple times when I was a n00b. J hadn't heard anything involving an offer on this brand of tea tree oil. Nevertheless, I also went to check with E, the girl who works the healthcare, and can also be generally counted on. She knew nothing either. I checked the shelf, and the stockroom. Nada. Safe to say there was no offer. I return to the customer.

Me: I've asked around, and it doesn't look like there's an offer.
    SW1: But they're stuck together, it MUST be.
    Me: I think it's just a mistake, and there are no store offers, so -
    SW1: But they're stuck together!
    *Wash, rinse, repeat, for what felt like an entire morning*

Me: *Losing patience* Look, if you look at the join, you'll see that it looks completely accidental -

With the intention of showing her the join, I pull the bottles apart a bit. The packing goo gives up the ghost and the bottles spring apart. Oops.

SW1: WELL. You've got what YOU wanted now.

WTF? What I wanted? Why am I supposed to give a flying ferret?

Me: I'm sorry, Madam, but I didn't intend that. Besides which, there. Was. No. Offer.
    SW1: How can you say that! You just decided there wasn't without consulting anyone!

What? So J and E aren't people now? And besides which, I ran over half the bloody store for you, and found no evidence of the offer. I have been able to put two and two together since I was five, and guess what? I can still do it!

SW1: You've lost my business. I'm going to spend my money elsewhere.
    Me: *Snap!* Fine! There's a (rival store) at the other end of the centre, I'm sure they'll be perfectly happy to take your money. Have a nice day, now!

I probably shouldn't have said the last bit, but it was that or beat her to death with a bottle of vitamin-c supplements...
    "If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?" - Gerard Way

Old bat just wanted something for free. And, she deserved your comments.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

What ever happened to looking at the other ones & if they were seperate, then ta da, accident! & even after asking you, as if you would lie... then having to barrade you. lame
      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I'm sure she didn't even needed it, just wanted it for the supposed BOGO offer.. this particular type of SC is rather common and they'll be ticked off if they can't get something for "free" thats supposedly bought in bulk.
        This actually can work in the opposite direction in my store with many things that we have packaged together for reasons.. when they're properly packaged together they expect it to be a "special" even if its an active line that we only get in a 2 pack.. and whenever someone asks about the product (in this example, air duster) they have a bit of a fit when its regular price in a specially packed twin pack.

The main problem with this kind of customer is that they dont care about the obvious condition of the join, no matter how flimsy they will fight for a lower price. The same people are the ones who make their best attempt to get something for a very low price because another customer has placed a high priced item in the wrong spot (we get this for instance, with computer mice all the time when we have the cheapy out of stock, someone picks up one 5 times the price and puts it back down in the area where the cheap ticket is), next customer expects to get it for that price and blame you for putting it there/trying to mislead them, etc.

Anything for a discount..
        - Boochan

Comment

First of all, welcome!

Second of all, I love it when SCs say "I'm taking my money elsewhere!" Right, lady, because we're going to close the store over not selling you a couple of bottles of tea tree oil.
          "Thank God for the idiots: but for them, the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Dude, I'm so going to take my glue gun with me the next time I go to the store. "But look, these four Snickers bars are stuck together so it must be buy one get three free!" Fun for all!
            Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Comment

Quoth shenzee View Post
              Dude, I'm so going to take my glue gun with me the next time I go to the store. "But look, these four Snickers bars are stuck together so it must be buy one get three free!" Fun for all!
              lol I was thinking along the same lines. 5 bucks says she had a mini glue gun on her!

Comment

First off, welcome! Secondly, allow me to adjust one of your sentences for you.

Quoth JessEm View Post
                I probably shouldn't have said the last bit. Indeed, I should have said it MUCH EARLIER IN THE CONVERSATION, but it was that or beat her to death with a bottle of vitamin-c supplements...

I commend you on your patience, my friend.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth JessEm View Post
                  I probably shouldn't have said the last bit, but it was that or beat her to death with a bottle of vitamin-c supplements...
                  Use the iron supplements. They're heavier, right?

<ducks and runs away>
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

SW1: But they're stuck together!
                    "Oh, thank you for pointing out for us!" [take bottles apart] "All fixed now! Thanks again and have a nice day!"
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Boochan View Post
                      The same people are the ones who make their best attempt to get something for a very low price because another customer has placed a high priced item in the wrong spot (we get this for instance, with computer mice all the time when we have the cheapy out of stock, someone picks up one 5 times the price and puts it back down in the area where the cheap ticket is), next customer expects to get it for that price and blame you for putting it there/trying to mislead them, etc.

Anything for a discount..

Hey, once I got something for the lower price. I was at the hardware store and they have the shelve tags that has just the name and the price. So I picked up what I needed and it rang up a different price. I asked about it and had to show her. Sure enough a worker put it in the wrong spot. How do we know it was a worker? Well He was right there stocking shelves, when I was looking
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post

<ducks and runs away>
                        you just made me break rule number one lol

Comment

Quoth shenzee View Post
                          Be my guest. But be advised, if you do it to me, I may have to hurt you!

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                          I commend you on your patience, my friend.
                          Thanks! I think anyway!

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          Thank you, there is now Arizona raspberry iced tea all over my jeans. Dude, twice in one CS session...
                          "If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?" - Gerard Way

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                            Hey, once I got something for the lower price. I was at the hardware store and they have the shelve tags that has just the name and the price. So I picked up what I needed and it rang up a different price. I asked about it and had to show her. Sure enough a worker put it in the wrong spot. How do we know it was a worker? Well He was right there stocking shelves, when I was looking
                            True. We had contractors out for our renovations last month, and we have suffered a lot of giving in to reducing the price due to them not placing the price tickets in the correct spots.. but a lot of the time (i.e when something is on a shelf or hook and out of stock, and a customer puts it back in the empty) its not our fault :P - if its under $5, sure.. but if its something dead obvious (i.e my example of a cheapo $10 mouse vs a premium $100 mouse) then people kick up a stink about it, then yeah.. not going to happen. :P
                            - Boochan

Comment

Working...
                            X