This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not quite sucky; just very weird

There's this older couple that comes into my workplace all the time. As a waitress, I have to be wary of those regulars that are very sweet but will talk your ear off.

Anyway, I asked the man what he wanted to drink tonight and he told me. "Water, no ice. Just right outta the spiggot, darlin'. Cause I gotta take my pills. And if I don't take my pills I'll get pregnant and you have to support the baby." I was kinda horrified at first, but he told me he has a "soft spot for waitresses that work their way through school." I don't know what I'd do without my eccentric customers. Just the thought of a 70-ish y/o man getting pregant was hysterical.
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Do you think he was serious, or just joking?

I had an eccentric old guy kind of like that. If you said so much as hello to him he'd launch into a rambling but amazingly eloquent and spirited speech, and he never paused in between sentences or left room for a response. I still wonder to this day if he rehearsed it or if it just poured out of him like that, because it was as beautiful as it was spontaneous. His favorite subject also involved young women going through college and facing adversity. The second day I checked him out, he purchased a bottle of multivitamins and then gave them to me, voicing concern over my pale complexion and cautioning me about the importance of women getting the right vitamins.

Despite all the talk about college girls, I never got that creepy vibe from him. He was full of sweetness and good will and he said he had two granddaughters in college, so I wonder if he was projecting his feelings for them onto me and was happy to have someone to listen.

I miss that guy.

Comment

I LOVE customers like that! I had one that when I checked his fifty with the conterfet pen thingy he tells me
      "Did it pass I just printed it before I came it should be good."
      Or my little old lady! I dont know why I do it but I tell them to keep out of trouble. Mostly they look at me weird look but this little old lady tells me
      "Honey trouble is all I got! I would be dead with out it. Got to get my fun in somehow. Just make sure to read the papers and bail me out if I need it ok."
      Those are the customers that make going to work a pleasure. Its the creeps that hit on me or my 19 year old csr that freak me out!

Comment

I absolutely LOVE people like the guy in the OP's post! They really do brighten your day, though sometimes I do wonder how they would come up with stuff off the cuff like that.

I had an older couple bickering in my line once, and at one point, the husband loudly declared to his wife "I can't hear you! I can't hear you anymore! I am TURNING OFF my hearing aids!"
        The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
          I had an older couple bickering in my line once, and at one point, the husband loudly declared to his wife "I can't hear you! I can't hear you anymore! I am TURNING OFF my hearing aids!"
          (Wishes he had hearing aids )

That is just awesome.
          I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
          In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

II had an older couple bickering in my line once, and at one point, the husband loudly declared to his wife "I can't hear you! I can't hear you anymore! I am TURNING OFF my hearing aids!"
            I could do that. I have the hearing aids, all I need is a wife.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE people like the guy in the OP's post! They really do brighten your day, though sometimes I do wonder how they would come up with stuff off the cuff like that.

I almost, almost broke rule 1. I thought I'd be safe, but nooooo. I'm just glad that it was water & not soda.
              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Well, I suppose I also could have/should have mentioned that he was saying it all in a whiny, sing-songy voice like a little kid would
                The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Working...
                X