Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrible (someone else's) customer service!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible (someone else's) customer service!

I'm an car audio installer at a large electronics store. During the winter months, most of my time is spent installing vehicle remote start systems.

Our remote start systems are all sold with installation included (not to be confused with "free" installation). In fact, when you buy a remote start from us, the bulk of the price is the labor for the installation. We don't sell them without installation. Because of this, the price of our remote starts is much higher than the ones you see hanging on pegs at auto parts stores or discount stores.

Remote starters are a big Christmas item, and big during the cold months, so the combination of the two means that there's often a two week wait to have one installed during the time after the holidays. In my mind, the customers who have purchased a remote start from us have already paid for their installation, so we have a responsibility to serve them before we take in a remote start we didn't sell. In fact, during the very busy period, I will only install units that were purchased from us. Remote starters purchased elsewhere have to wait until February.

We had a lady who checked out the price of our remote starters and decided they were priced too high. So she crossed the street to Walmart and bought a $50 one hanging from a peg. She then came back to us to make an appointment to have it installed. This was in early January. We explained that she'd have to wait until after the busy season.

That, she told us, is HORRIBLE customer service.

Well, yes, it is. Specifically, we're providing horrible service to Walmart's customers. We're doing this so that we can provide better service to OUR customers. If you had chosen to become OUR customer, instead of Walmart's customer, then perhaps we'd be more willing to listen to your complaints about our service.

I don't think we ever got to the point of explaining that she'd need to pay us 3 times what she paid for the remote start, in order to have it installed.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

sort of
    at the risk of sounding like a dumb girl... i recently aquired a remote start vehicle. if i started my car with said remote start, but then went back inside which is out of range for the clicker button, would it shut back off? (i really don't know anything about remote start, it's a new thing to me)
    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
      sort of
      at the risk of sounding like a dumb girl... i recently aquired a remote start vehicle. if i started my car with said remote start, but then went back inside which is out of range for the clicker button, would it shut back off? (i really don't know anything about remote start, it's a new thing to me)
      Not that I am an expert on remote starters...but I do believe once you start the vehicle - it stays running. The purpose of a remote starter - if I understand correctly - is to start your vehicle and be able to walk away and say, go back inside where it's warm and wait for your car to warm up.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Nice for rural areas ... probably not-so-advisable in the urban jungle.

"Oh, look, someone has started my new car for me. Thanks!"
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

sort of

My friend has a remote start on her car, and it has some sort of timer on it. After so long with no key going into the ignition it shuts itself off.

Comment

sort of

Once you activate the remote start, the car will keep running for the programmed length of time, even if you take the transmitter out of range. It just needs the transmitter for the activation signal. You can also use the transmitter to shut it off again if you decide not to drive it.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
              Nice for rural areas ... probably not-so-advisable in the urban jungle.

"Oh, look, someone has started my new car for me. Thanks!"
              The remote start doesn't make it any easier to steal the car. They get wired to the brake switch, so the remote start will shut off as soon as the brake is pressed. Most modern cars require that you press the brake pedal before shifting into gear (not to mention that they also require a key in the ignition, to unlock the steering wheel).

Better remote starters also monitor the engine RPM, and they'll shut down if it's revved beyond idle speed.

Comment

sort of

My car came with a remote start. It shuts off after about 5 minutes. The car is nice and toasty by then, and more important - the windshield is clear. If I start it then get distracted or something it doesn't waste gas.
                Women can do anything men can.
                But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                Maxine

Comment

sort of
                  Nope. It's just like a remote control, but for your car instead of your tv.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Wow, I want one of those things now!

Yes, that woman is a very very sucky person.

OKay, off topic again! I wonder how difficult that would be to get installed in my car? It doesn't have automatic anything (except for automatic day lights, which I can never turn off unless I turn the car off).
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Slightly

Remote starting is illegal in this neck of the woods. The big thing here is remote controlled fuel operated extra-heaters. Warms up a tad slower than if using real engine, but warms up both the engine and the cabin, without consuming as much fuel.

Comment

I got a remote start for my car a little over a year and a half ago. It's a thing of joy, for me, working nights, being able to start my car from my desk, and have it well on it's way to warm and defrosted by the time I get outside. Even more awesome, as I had my remote start installed by the same people who installed my stereo, it's set up so the stereo does not start up until I put the key in the car - so I can leave the stereo on without scaring the neighbors.

To answer above questions about theft: When I remote start my car, it also locks/re-locks all the doors. The car itself will not actually drive, only sit there running, until I put the key in and press the brake. Until then, if you press the brake (necessary to put the car into gear) without the key in, the car will shut itself off. And it will not drive without the key in the ignition.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                        X