This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypochondria and the SC....

My company recently issued a voluntary recall on some heparin products that we manufacturer (see link below for the press release). This is response to a competitor distributing products contaminated heparin, which has killed some people.

Now this is a VOLUNTARY recall on our part. Our product has been tested and been determined to not be contaminated AND there have not been an incidents filed regarding our heparin. We are doing this recall strictly for PR reasons as a show of good faith to our client base and the FDA.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5657377.html

As one of the senior reps in my department, I am part of the team that is handling the recall que.

The recall only really started this week and most of the people who have called are really cool about it, since it's not something we can really control. From what I understand the "voluntary" part involved some severe pressure from the FDA. They'd rather have all existing heparin off the market.

In the recall letter we sent out, we for some reason described the symptoms experienced by patients using our competitors products and also the letter included a link to the FDA notice on-line, which has specific information.

Today, I got my first real SC call. The caller sounded like an older woman, who was pretty nasty and of course the first words out of her mouth are, "I think I got some of the bad product, I have all the symptoms, but (some random symptom)."

I wound up transferring her to our QA department, because we are required to file a report with the FDA. Which is going to cost us $1,000's to investigate. Despite the fact that NONE of our product was found to be faulty.

Basically it's like calling a California grower and complaining that the Florida oranges made you sick, because California has a recall on their oranges.

The power of suggestion is an amazing thing.
    Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Hey... I get that paper... Does this mean you live in my area? Cool!
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Okay, I'm seriously grossed out.
      I just finished having to dose myself with antibiotics due to a staph infection and one of the things I had to inject into my body was Heparin.
      PIG INTESTINE MUCUS??!!

If I started saying "Eww!" right now and continued until the day I died, I still wouldn't be able to say it enough.
      ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
        PIG INTESTINE MUCUS??!!

If I started saying "Eww!" right now and continued until the day I died, I still wouldn't be able to say it enough.
        That's really not that gross.

Lanolin is a sheep secretion and is used in all sorts of stuff.

The stuff they put in sausage is worse than the pig mucous.

And remember, your food is fertilized with biowaste.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Continuing Andara's theme:

And let's not forget about the sources of insulin...

Pig pancreas, cadaver pancreas, or bacterial product.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            That's really not that gross.
            Lanolin is a sheep secretion and is used in all sorts of stuff.
            And you don't want to know where the fat base for cosmetics comes from....
            or real musk, or kopi luwak coffee

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              The stuff they put in sausage is worse than the pig mucous.
              I remember when the casings for sausage was made from pig intestine.

Now it's an edible plastic; I think I'd rather eat the intestine to be honest.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

And let's not discuss what's in the cheap Bar-S brand bologna that I eat at least once a week

Comment

Heck, if I remember correctly, hotdogs are actually green before artificial coloring.

Comment

My dad used to work in a sausage factory when he was a teen. I haven't touched any kind of sausage since he told me what they put in that stuff.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      And you don't want to know where the fat base for cosmetics comes from....
                      or real musk, or kopi luwak coffee
                      you mean ambergris (whale vomit) and muskrat (?) poop?
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Wait till you find out how they make jello.

Comment

Birth control pills, and other estrogen medication, is primarily taken from horse urine before its processing.

Comment

Ah, the nocebo effect, the exact opposite of the placebo, the power of the mind is incredible.
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

it's not like medicines are made OUT of intestines and urine... they are derived from, meaning filtering and purifying and such

but kopi luwak coffee is just gross
                              sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. - Kusanagi

Comment

Working...
                              X