This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Name Is...

So I'm the store manager of a moderately sized technology store - one of the departments in the store is a photolab. I was doing a lap of the store yesterday afternoon and heard a customer getting a bit abrupt with my lab manager, so I hovered closer in case I was needed - which I wasn't. After he left I asked her what was going on. I'll call this one CTC - Conspiracy Theory Customer.

When a customer orders digital photos, they create their order on a kiosk which then prints a ticket which has the order number, and the quantity and sizes of prints. They present the ticket at the counter, pay for their order, and are given a cashiering receipt. They use the cashiering receipt to collect their prints when they are done. When they are at the counter, they are asked for their name and phone number, and if they are a first time customer their address also. The name and number are put on their cashiering receipt, and written on the kiosk ticket, to help us give the customer the right prints. Works easily and well, until CTC comes in.

CTC won't give the Lab Assistant his name and number, so LA gets the Lab Manager. LM explains to CTC that we only use the information to make sure he gets the right prints - she would hate to give his prints accidentally to someone else, or give him someone elses prints. We use the phone number and address so we can contact because sometimes customers forget to collect their prints, or a large order (which his is) might get split in the machine and occasionally part gets overlooked and left behind, so we like to be able to contact the customer.

CTC still refuses and starts going on about it all being a conspiracy, that we are going to use his private details etc. LM explains that we don't use it for any purpose other than what she just explained. CTC keeps going on about all sorts of conspiracy theories, identity theft etc. LM backs down a little and says that if he doesn't want to give out his address and phone number that will be fine, but she will still need a name so she can make sure he gets the right prints. CTC still flat-out refuses, so LM says that if he won't give his name, he can give her a codeword, so that they can make sure he gets the right prints. He comes up with some word, which she records on the dockets. CTC then goes on about how it was much easier in the days of film, you just dropped your film in and collected it, nothing about personal details (what the? every time I dropped a film in, the wanted name and number at least).

Anyway, so LM has the codeword, and is ready for payment, and CTC hands over a credit card to pay for it - which has his name on it. Gets better - the back of the card has his signature and also has "Photo ID must be sighted for verification". CTC willingly hands over his drivers licence so LM can verify his credit card payment. So after CTC refusing to give so much as his surname, he has just handed LM his credit card which has his full name, and his drivers license which has his name, address and birth date!

WhisperWhisper: The Crow Flies at Midnight.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

After the transaction was completed, did the LM at least say "thank you, Mr. [insert CTC last name here]?"
      This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        WhisperWhisper: The Crow Flies at Midnight.
        Dogs barking, can't fly without umbrella.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

*whispering*

The pearl is in the river.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Epic fail!

The only possible logic I can attach to not wanting to give any identifying info is if there was something objectionable in his photos. All I can think of is the scene from Hope Floats. "One word for you people: Polaroids! POLAROIDS!"
            "Any free samples?"
            "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

The tin foil is on isle 3. Make sure you get the full size roll with the blue label because the red label is perferrated and will allow microwave cosmic bursts to penetrate.
              SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

"Bunnies can and will go to France this Summer"

(25 points for anyone who remembers the reference)

Comment

"The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall"

Comment

What...the hell. That's worse than the people who didn't want me to scan the barcode on the back of their ID, because they thought I was sending their info to the FBI. Seriously. (The barcode only enters their date of birth for age-restricted sales; of course, any good conspiracy theorist won't believe that)

Comment

We have one customer that won't sign up for a store card (to get sale prices, and you can earn points on promotions, donate money to schools, get extra coupons in the mail, etc) or use the generic store card because the government will find out what she eats, but will always pay with a debit card.

Once the customer behind her asked he why she doesn't pay cash. She said the government can tack that.

Comment

Quoth Rivulatus View Post
                        So after CTC refusing to give so much as his surname, he has just handed LM his credit card which has his full name, and his drivers license which has his name, address and birth date!
                        Get your hands on a phone book and, dollars to doughnuts, you'll find his number in it.

Comment

Identity theft is a sad thing... A lot of people are terrified of sharing their information with anyone, and sometimes they should be. But, they have to realize that businesses often need some details.

I laughed & scoffed that the guy handed over his ID & plastic...

I also laughed about the conspiracy... that apparently the government can trace cash but not a debit card through a bank that ironically is regulated by the government...

If you're gonna be paranoid, be afraid of everything & go live as a hermit in the mountains cuz in reality, everything has danger anymore.
                          When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I'm sorry, but the old style of turning in film for photos had you fill out a the envelope and the part of the envelope you rip to take with you. Yes, each envelope had a number - but do you think this guy just asked for the number??

And the other woman - who won't use cash because they government can track it - she doesn't think that the government can track her debit card that she uses electronically????
                            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Bagga View Post
                              "Bunnies can and will go to France this Summer"

(25 points for anyone who remembers the reference)
                              I get the 25 points - google is my friend.

But if I tell you, I'll get hunted by the government, charged with treason, and made to disappear.
                              When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Working...
                              X