This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job requirement: ESP?

I work in the financial aid office of a community college. I am the 'loan person', or so they call me because none of the students bother to look at my id to find out my name or title.

Anyway...

SC/student comes in to pick up her loan check. I'm anticipating trouble, she's called numerous times to complain that we held her check for ONE DAY to verify that she was eligible for it.

I looked at her IDs (all students must show 2 forms of ID to pick up a check) and the addy on her ID didn't match the addy we had on the system. I told her I couldn't release her check without an updated ID that matched, and she flipped out, saying that we can't do anything right in this office, blah blah blah.

I asked one of my coworkers if our boss (the director) was in, and the student had the audacity to say, "Yeah you better get [the director]!" Naturally she was gone for the day, and there was only one advisor in. Big help.

Well, now the student is beyond pissed, and she tells me that I should have told her that she needed the IDs to match. I looked at her, completely dumbfounded, and asked how I could have POSSIBLY known that she had just moved and hadn't bothered to get her ID changed? She went off again saying that I should have told her over the phone (instead of expecting her to actually read the 3 letters we sent her letting her know the IDs had to match).

Conversation ensues, I wanted to send her to the DMV to get her addy changed and have her yell at them, but I figured I'd appease her and let her know the loophole so she would just leave. Aren't I nice?
    "Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop."
    - Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter

So I don't know if it's a law here in Montana or not, but a police officer told me that my address on the ID doesn't have to be current as long as the DMV is informed of my new address & that new address is on file with them. So, I guarantee my school ID and my driver's license address do not match. Would I have to get my school ID with the same address in that case? Just curious
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
      So I don't know if it's a law here in Montana or not, but a police officer told me that my address on the ID doesn't have to be current as long as the DMV is informed of my new address & that new address is on file with them. So, I guarantee my school ID and my driver's license address do not match. Would I have to get my school ID with the same address in that case? Just curious
      That may be the law but this sounds more like a college policy of the ID's must match

Comment

Wouldn't it normally be that the student ID and driver's license wouldn't match? Since most college addresses are considered temporary, students usually keep their home addresses for licenses, voting, etc.

I know when I went to College (commuted back and forth on the Mayflower) I was told if I changed my residence to the college town, I would not be eligible for certain scholarship funds that were awarded to people in my town.

Of course, I also remember them sending me my loan checks and grades to the home address and then my folks resending them up to me.

GO BLACK BEARS!!
        Eben56
        If ultimately you let the people that fuck you over decide your attitude then they won.

Comment

......new?

Comment

I'm more of a bastard, and don't have problems with ppl throwing tantrums. In this instance, it means saying "Well - it was written in all 3 letters you've been posted about this. You did read the letters, didn't you? No? Bum for you then - see you when you've sorted it "

I'm into the concept of personal responsibility (oh - and stuffing up the lives of SC's)

Slyt
            When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

I know that in some states (Utah, at least), the driver's liscencing bureau will not issue a new lisence if you change your address with them. My old roommate had to change his address on file with them, and they just told him to write his new address on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the back of his liscence (no joke).
              man...nature...technology
              mensch...natur...technik

Comment

I get all of my loan money through direct deposit. Saves a LOT of hassle.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

ESP has always been a job requirement.

Employees never find that out, though, until it's too late.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    ESP has always been a job requirement.

Employees never find that out, though, until it's too late.
                    Which is part of the point... you should know in advance....
                    When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

One ID has to be state issued, the other can be whatever, but the addy on the ID needs to match school records. We don't have any housing b/c we're a comm. college, so no need to have a school addy and a home addy. Other schools are different, tho.
                      "Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop."
                      - Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter

Comment

Quoth ibor132 View Post
                        I know that in some states (Utah, at least), the driver's liscencing bureau will not issue a new lisence if you change your address with them. My old roommate had to change his address on file with them, and they just told him to write his new address on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the back of his liscence (no joke).
                        great... so now when my township gets annexed I'll have to have masking tape on my license... joyous (under the current set-up when you apply for a license and you live in a township you are told you can either put the township name or the name of the nearest city to you... preferably the one that handles your mail... and guess what... that's not the city that will be annexing us... joy)

on that note, hotels have an extra level of ESP... we must both be able to read minds AND predict the future (ie, how could you not know that I would be traveling that day AND my flight would be canceled)
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          on that note, hotels have an extra level of ESP... we must both be able to read minds AND predict the future (ie, how could you not know that I would be traveling that day AND my flight would be canceled)
                          Don't forget ya need to know the weather up to but not limited to THREE MONTHS in advance.
                          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth ibor132 View Post
                            New Jersey sends you 3 stickers...one you stick on the back of your license and the other 2 are for whatever (in my case, one for the car registration, and well, I don't have a use for the other since my insurance company just sends a new card). However, I've been carrying the envelope around in my bag and have yet to actually stick them to anything. Procrastination, ho!
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I wonder.

If you have a driver's license that has your home address (as opposed to your school address), couldn't you go get a state (or whatever) ID that has the school address on it for things like this?

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X