• Show
Clear All

• Uhhh, maybe we should have taken care of that .... an eBay story

Scoreboard:

Number of Phone Calls Made (to us): 1
    Number of E-Mails Written (to us): 1
    Feedback Received: Neutral

---

A customer had won an air compressor from us off of eBay. Not a big one, just a normal, portable one that's used for small air tools.

He received it and gave us a phone call on a Saturday (about two weeks ago) saying that it had looked like it was ran over. My co-worker, who takes care of the complaints and shipping, etc. doesn't work on weekends, so I got the task of handling the call.

The call wasn't bad.

In fact, the guy was really nice.

I believe I did the standard apology (I can't remember if I did, but I usually do in situations). We communicated for a few minutes and he told me of his problem -- all he wanted was the auction total so he could file the claim (for insurance).

Uh, wait a minute....

You want to file the claim?? Despite the fact the he could have easily found out the total on his own.

I mentioned that if he could wait until Monday, my co-worker would be more than happy to file the claim for him ... considering that she knows what to do and that's how we always do it. She's very meticulous in writing down information, printing emails and having everything ready when she makes the call. She keeps track of everything.

But he insisted ... he wanted to make the claim that day and all he wanted was the total ... Ooooo.k. I gave him the total, but not before mentioning that if he had any questions that he could contact us, either through phone or e-mail. I even got his phone number just in case my co-worker had any questions or concerns.

We thought all was done and good.

-

Until about a week later....

When we got a neutral feedback ...

The neutral basically stated that the packing was done poorly and we were of no help to him.

It got a serious from both of us.

My co-worker is very careful when packing things, even though it was an air compressor she still packed it with packing materials. (He mentioned that the package was in pieces). So, we left him a neutral, basically stating that he never contacted us and we thought all was well.

We thought all was done and good.

-

Until about a week later (which would have been yesterday - if you're keeping track).

My co-worker is currently now on vacation. I get an e-mail from him stating that the neutral he wrote is justified and that he also needed us to fax a letterhead to the shipping company saying that we'll release the insurance settlement from him. No detailed information was even included in the e-mail. His main concern was that he wanted an air compressor and now his money is tied up in this whole thing. Plus, I don't even think we have a letterhead ... but I digress ...

But now I'm beginning to think somethings amiss here ...

No pictures were sent to us, no detailed explanation about the package's condition upon arrival (it went from the "package being ran over by the shipper's truck" to "I don't know what happened to it" - he mentioned that it arrived in pieces) and he seems pretty hush-hush when it came to giving us information. Plus, he seemed pretty eager to file a claim with the shipping company. Again, we assumed he was able to take care of it ... so we didn't press for details (because, you know, this is the first time one of our customers has attempted to file their own claim).

If he would have waited a couple of days and allowed us to start the claim process (as well as answered any questions, took any pictures, had all of our ducks in a row), we probably would have given him a refund before the claim is even settled (which can take months).

I'll help him in any way I can, but I'm certainly not going to bend over backwards for him either. We can't help you if you won't help us ... So, after typing a response -- then erasing that and typing a real response - I simply and politely asked for the information I needed (without doing the whole "I told you so," or the "shoulda, woulda, coulda" routines).

I guess I'll update you next week...
    This area is left blank for a reason.

Um, the recipient of a package can't file a damage claim. It must be initiated by the shipper. And if he tried to initiate a claim, they would tell him to make you do it.

To get a claim going, the recipient has to tell the seller. The seller contacts the shipping company. The shipping company gets the packaging from the recipient. The shipping company investigates. The shipping company tells the shipper their decision, and if there is a claim payment to be made, it is made to the shipper.

The guy is full of shit.

I'd check what other Feedback he's received and left and see what it says, if anything.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sounds dodgy.

I'm a hobbyist eBay seller (I used to handle a lot more for some side extra cash when I was unemployed, i.e selling reconditioned mobile phones, was a power seller for various periods of time through 2005 and 2006), and one of my return conditions now is photographic proof, or if they're local they come to me and ill inspect it and refund their money on the spot (since I sell second hand goods, I'm not even obligated to offer ANYTHING). Makes sense to me, as I'd expect most people these days to have a webcam in their computer or a digital camera if they're using a computer. This policy tended to weed out any scammers, cause I packaged everything ridiculously good.

Regardless, I've misjudged some as SCs beforehand. Over the Xmas period here, I had one lady who bought my old Digital Camera who lives about a half hour north of me on the city limits. She claims the digital camera I sent was broken, and that it didn't work. I thought it was fake, because their was a sob story included with it.. I still offered to credit it, but I wanted to inspect it first. Told her to come to my store, she accepted that. In the end she came, I fixed it up for her.. She was a little elderly lady who just didn't understand how the digital camera worked. The fact that I was telling the truth to her, and that I was so friendly (not like many eBay sellers) actually made her day, and yeah.. that ended well.
      - Boochan

Comment

Sounds to me like he's trying to get an air compressor for free.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

... call me crazy but... did he perhaps wait until after the first of april to complain?
          i was wondering cos... that's the cut-off date. after the first of april sellers can no longer leave bad feedbacks on buyers, cos many sellers were using it as retaliation

and i'd say file a complaint with ebay if he's being an idiot or jerk

Comment

Er, the fact that he's asking for your company's letterhead rang all sorts of warning bells in my head. It smells like a scam, big time. Hope that works out for you without much hassle.
            "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

#2 E-Mail!!

Actually, I got another e-mail (we're up to 2 now!!) earlier today. Again, he's being an HUGE ass, saying it's not "rocket science." He actually did give the claim number though as well as a phone number for the shipment company (which I already had on hand).

I called the shipping company and asked about it. The fellow on the phone agreed with the customer (grrr), saying all we needed to do was send a letter, releasing the insurance money to him .... I'm hoping the company is smart enough to at least examine the item before they give him the money, instead of just doing it over the phone and taking his word for it.

I'm with you guys though ... I think he's trying to get a free (working, just fine condition) air compressor .... I've gotta talk to my boss though and see what he thinks (since I have to get the letterhead from him).

I would like to simply ignore this whole situation and block his e-mail address, but I don't want him to file a claim through PayPal either (he already left us feedback - so he's stuck there). And his feedback rating isn't very high (24) all positives, except for the one we left him ... If he was simply a little bit kinder, I would be more apt to help him ....
              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

*sniffs air* hmm, what's that; it's not freshly laid bs, but it's more well known cousin, the SCAM.

i'd fight this one; if he cannot produce some evidence of damage, then something's more than just a bit rotten in denmark.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

The most common advice for when you smell a scam, is to demand that the item be returned (on your dime) before a refund can be made.

You might also mention that this is to ensure that the serial number matches the one on the item you shipped. Even if it's a lie, it might make him think twice.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Why are you concerned about a PayPal claim? You did what you were supposed to. You shipped the proper item and the shipment was received damaged through no fault of your own. He's filing a claim with the proper party (not you) and, I assume, you'll be faxing the appropriate documenation. Strictly speaking, it will no longer affect you if he is scamming or not. That's up to the ppl sending the claim money. If you're concerned, I suggest emailing the claim information and copying both the shipping company and rude-boy. If it should ever end up as a Paypal claim, you have more than enough documentation to show you did as you were supposed to.

Out of curiosity, how are the shipping details written on your eBay listings? Did this guy have the option of purchasing insurance (since he's filing a claim)? Do you mention that you aren't responsible for shipping damage? I'm not an eBay seller and I don't know how nitpicky the PayPal/eBay folks are and if they're likely to always side with the buyer. Seems to me you've done your part.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Demand return of the item. Don't let him claim insurance. That's for you to do.

Offer to replace the item. All shipping on your dime.

When he refuses that, you KNOW it's a scam.
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Working...
                      X