This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was sucky?

Hi! I work for an old folks home! But today's story isn't from there... I was shopping and I wasn't sure how much money I had in the bank. I mean I had money in my savings but maybe not in my checking account. So I go to the supermaket and I choose a few things. Then the checker says I don't have enough money in my account so instead of yelling and screaming I quietly say, oh dear, I guess I'll have to leave the stuff here!

Then he gets a annoyed and says "Give me your stuff back"! Imean it can happen to anyone that they don't have as much money as they think they have. I don't know why he got annoyed reallly, so then I left and transferred some money from my savings to my checking so that would cover it but I sort of didn't want to go back so I went somewhere else instead.

Was this guy sucky or was I sucky for not having enough money to cover my grocreries?
    It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
    Was this guy sucky or was I sucky for not having enough money to cover my grocreries?
    Well, the clerk definately shouldn't have been so rude about it, that's for certain.

But couldn't you have stopped by an ATM to check your bank balance? Many banks--mine included--allow customers to phone a toll free number to check their bank balance, or allow them to check their balance online. Did you have any of those options available to you?

I wouldn't say you were sucky, but if I'm going shopping, I like to know how much I can spend.
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

With the way food prices are rising, I think a lot of people are going to find that they thought they had enough money.

Comment

Having been in the cashier's position MANY times (we're talking at least once or twice a week here, seriously) I can say that while his attitude wasn't the best, his annoyance was justified.
        Checking your bank balance isn't hard, but clearing out a bunch of items from your belt when you have a line up is.

I don't think either of you were sucky, but things could have been done to prevent the situation.

Comment

You were both sucky. You should have checked your balance first. He shouldn't have been so rude.

But think about what you did: You took up the checker's time, the time of anyone who was in line behind you, and the time of the person to put back the groceries you didn't buy. If you had taken five minutes to call the bank or stop at an ATM to check your balance or transfer the money, none of this would have happened, no one would be cursing your name, or be tempted to record your behavior on a site like this. Sorry, I don't want to sound harsh, but many of the people who are reported on this site as SCs are on here because they just didn't think about how their behavior would affect anyone else.

Everyone makes mistakes. You think a check has cleared that didn't. You forgot your debit card. Things happen. But going into a situation knowing there could be a problem, but not doing anything to fix that problem, is setting yourself up to be an SC.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Thanks for the advice!!

I guess I just felt a little bit bad about not having enough money in my account. But the fact is it can happen to anyone sometimes... However, I won't avoid going back to this checker since it was really my fault for not checking my account before I went shopping.

Thanks for your replies. It's nice to hear what you all think. I really thought I had enough money to cover my groceries but it turns out I didn't. I can really understand that it it annoying to have to return all the items but actually it was only four. Four bags of nuts, so it really wasn't all that much. But stiil, I should have checked my balance.

I'll have to go shopping in a few days and then I'll be sure to have enough money with me!!

Cheers!!
            Chinashirtgirl
            It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

Quoth ebonyknight View Post
              With the way food prices are rising, I think a lot of people are going to find that they thought they had enough money.
              Gas prices going up, food prices going up, everything going up....except the paychecks. I know mine's not!
              "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
              "Red."
              "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
              "RED!"
              "..."

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                Having been in the cashier's position MANY times (we're talking at least once or twice a week here, seriously) I can say that while his attitude wasn't the best, his annoyance was justified.
                Checking your bank balance isn't hard, but clearing out a bunch of items from your belt when you have a line up is.

I don't think either of you were sucky, but things could have been done to prevent the situation.
                I remember at the store I used to work at, you couldn't just void an order enmasse. You had to void each and every item individually. Even worse if you wanted to void something that was weighed (like a bag of peaches), the weight had to be EXACTLY right when you did the void. What made that an even bigger pain was that the scales weren't perfect and would differ by a tiny bit when you put the stuff on it to void off.

One person had a big shopping cart full of food and then decided to have it all voided. Most of the cart was produce. I spent half an hour trying to void that order. I had to use pennies to get the scale to get the right weight.

Comment

"sucky" is when you're doing something crappy on purpose

making a mistake is not sucky. treating someone like shit over their mistake however is sucky.

Comment

As a person who's been on the recieving end of this many many many times I can tell you it's a pain in the ass. However, as I said before, a simple apology can make everything better.

Plus it makes the other guy look like an ass for being rude.
                    "Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

Comment

Groceries or merchandise? I ask because although reshops are annoying, they aren't really a big deal. What irks me are the groceries. Anything perishable we have to throw away for food safety reasons. So although I make every effort to stay polite, know that I'm thinking angry thoughts when I have to claim out your refrigables. Had a guy last weekend reshop over $90 of raw meat. When he only had $162.00 to spend and he KNEW he only had that much. How can you be that far off, come on. Store raises and bonuses we retail drones *may* receive are linked to our sales and profitability. As are the prices of the groceries we sell and which I buy. So yes, I'm irked over more than just the inconvenience factor with grocery reshops.

Nevertheless, your actions were not suck because you were courtious. Frustrating as reshops are, they are just another part of retail life. I have to wonder, though. Did you mention to the cashier that you'd be coming back? Or were you instantly turned off by the attitude? He might have been a bit friendlier if he knew you'd be right back, but then again, he sounds like a jerk so probably not.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                        Anything perishable we have to throw away for food safety reasons.

Wait, so if I pick up a pack of hamburger at your store, take it up front, but then decide I don't want it at the register, you have to throw it out? Ya'll must lose a ton of profit.

Comment

Quoth Danjo View Post
                          Wait, so if I pick up a pack of hamburger at your store, take it up front, but then decide I don't want it at the register, you have to throw it out? Ya'll must lose a ton of profit.
                          Probably. Better to be safe than end up on the news if that hamburger causes food poisoning due to insufficient refrigeration.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I think the clerk was being sucky about it. He could've been more polite about it, instead of copping that attitude. He was lucky you didn't scream or throw fits like an SC would in that case.
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              Probably. Better to be safe than end up on the news if that hamburger causes food poisoning due to insufficient refrigeration.
                              Well at my store the only reasons we would throw out reshopped perishables is if:

A) They had left the store, no telling what the hell happened to them outside the store.
                              B) The packaging is open.
                              C) It's no longer cold.
                              D) It has life forms living it.

Other wise it's sent back, its temperature is taken and if it's a certain range, the exact numbers escape me, it's put back on the shelf.

Comment

Working...
                              X