This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Illiteracy

Last week management installed a code lock on the toilet door.
    It's a spacious single cabin, and the usage manual to the lock is posted right next to it.
    With a blown-up picture of one of our receipts and the location of the code on it highlighted. It is only an example code, mind you.

All week long I've been answering the same question: "How do I enter the toilet??".
    Asked both by people with no intention of buying anything and people who've already eaten and probably discarded their receipt without even looking at it. People who've already tried the door and ones who don't even know where our toilet is.

I mean, come on. The guide is posted RIGHT NEXT TO THE LOCK. And it has fucking PICTURES. An average CHIMPANZEE would get around the lock in a matter of one or two tries.
    Yet, people are just clueless. Some do read the guide and then proceed to enter the example code. And entering the same wrong code multiple times locks the doors for a few minutes.
    Others manage to enter the correct code, but the cabin is occupied and locked from inside. And yet they try, and try, and try and just won't understand why they can't get in...

My BTM filter failed today and after one such question too many (in a rush, no less), my answer was "There's a GUIDE with PICTURES right next to the door!". Unsurprisingly, the CS hasn't even noticed I was insulting his intelligence.

OT, but I'm so sick of this job. The management is awesome, but our HR person is not. Lately she's been cutting our overtime and even my normally scheduled time - my contract is for 40hrs/month + 40 additional hours that might be scheduled, but no guarantees or forcing them upon me. 1/4-time. I've been making close to 100 hours every month, and everything beyond the 80 hours included in my contract is overtime. Without it, and the "normal" extra hours I'll be making shit.
    I'm actively looking for a different job ATM...
    Last edited by PaRaGaS; 04-19-2008, 11:56 PM.
    Music: Last.fm
    Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

I see the words, but why won't the handle turn?
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Hey now, you gotta remember that reading is beyond an sc's capability. Getting a bathroom that requires instructions to enter is a little beyond what they can handle. The good news? Whoever has to clean the bathroom will have very little work to do.
      "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
        Whoever has to clean the bathroom will have very little work to do.
        Either that... or the person cleaning the bathroom will have some stories to post about people who poo out of spite...
        Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

I don't understand how it works.

I understand that it has a code that, I assume the customer gets from their receipt when they pay.

What happens if they really have to go before they get a chance to pay?

In the case of an occupied toilet, is there an indicator to tell the customer this?
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

A locking toilet probably creates a new class of SC story.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
              I don't understand how it works.

I understand that it has a code that, I assume the customer gets from their receipt when they pay.

What happens if they really have to go before they get a chance to pay?
              Tough luck. We're not a public toilet, and there's one that's open to everybody just a few stores down in the mall.

Quoth Ree View Post
              In the case of an occupied toilet, is there an indicator to tell the customer this?
              Sure, a red spot under the door handle.

Comment

Quoth PaRaGaS View Post
                Tough luck. We're not a public toilet, and there's one that's open to everybody just a few stores down in the mall.
                Well that's a rude attitude.

From time to time, I have some health issues that mean I just gotta pee...now.
                When that happens, it comes on suddenly.
                I have gone into a store, used the bathroom and then shopped, and if I hadn't done that, there is no way I could have continued.
                Sometimes, I will be shopping in a store and have a cart full, but I just can't continue until I take a pee break.

It's not clear from the OP if it's a store or restaurant, though, because you said
                people who've already eaten and probably discarded their receipt without even looking at it
                If it's a restaurant, I thought, by law, that there had to be a bathroom provided for the customers.

Not trying to be difficult, but I don't really understand it.

I get that you're not a public bathroom, and there is one provided in the mall, I just don't understand why a customer has to be finished their transaction and paid before they can use the bathroom.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  Well that's a rude attitude.

From time to time, I have some health issues that mean I just gotta pee...now.
                  When that happens, it comes on suddenly.
                  Such things are usually very clear (as in, panic mode), and I WILL provide the code then.

Quoth Ree View Post
                  I have gone into a store, used the bathroom and then shopped, and if I hadn't done that, there is no way I could have continued.
                  Sometimes, I will be shopping in a store and have a cart full, but I just can't continue until I take a pee break.

It's not clear from the OP if it's a store or restaurant, though, because you said
                  It's a McD's that has an outside entrance and an entrance into the mall. Many people would come in, use the bathroom and the continue on their merry way inside the mall.

We don't do money exchange and we don't provide a free public restroom, that's it. Oh, and those ketchup packets? They're 1PLN each, unless you buy fries. We do give away waffle cones and cups for free tho, in reasonable quantity.

Quoth Ree View Post
                  If it's a restaurant, I thought, by law, that there had to be a bathroom provided for the customers.
                  I really don't know if there has to be one, Polish law is different in many aspects from what you may know. And we do have a bathroom for customers after all.
                  Last edited by PaRaGaS; 04-20-2008, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for being patient with me and explaining, PaRaGaS.

That makes perfect sense.

Comment

i'm for the 'we're not a public toilet' attitude; i've grown tired of all the ew's thinking we owe them everything and the wrapper too.

as far as i understand, unless you serve food, you aren't required to have a restroom; two places on our block do serve food, but channel their css in our direction, so add in the ew's off the street and we end up serving more butts than any ten proctologists at a free health fair.

add into that, the nastiness of what some of these sacks of excrement do to said restroom and my feelings are justified; it should be customers only. not a customer? not my problem...
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                      X