Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First customer I ever refused to serve today...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First customer I ever refused to serve today...

I've been in retail since I was 16 years old... over 10 years ago. Today is the FIRST time I have ever refused service to a sucky customer.

I was CSM'ing today at my local Wal-Mart Supercenter. It got busy at our service desk and there was only one person up there, so I hopped on. Everything went fine until my 4th or 5th customer. He wanted to cash his paycheck. No problem. I ask for his ID..... and it's expired. Wal-Mart policy states that one needs a VALID government-issued picture ID in order to cash a check.

I politely decline and say "Sir, I'm afraid this ID has expired. I need a valid ID in order to cash this check. Do you have one?"

As he's taking out his new drivers license, he says to me "What a pissy little man."

I said "EXCUSE ME??"

He said "What a pissy little man you are."

At that point, I put his ID and his check down, didn't say a single word, and walked away. He stood there for several minutes before one of my co-workers contacted me over the walkie-talkie and said "Are you going to help this gentleman?" At that point, I said "No. He gets nothing from me. You can take care of him."

Well, Carole (my co-worker) cashed this asshole's check, and then he wanted to talk to my manager. My manager, A, is pretty cool. I don't know all of what was said, as I was staying away from it until he left. I talked to her later, and she said that while walking away wasn't a terrible option given what I wanted to do, I could have called a manager over and let them take it. I'm not in trouble, though.

Still, though, completely unprovoked. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Stuff like that usually rolls right off my back and doesn't affect me, but after this confrontation I was so upset I was shaking.

The nerve of some people!

Wait. In ten years, this was the one that got you upset . Jebus man. Yeah it sucked but... have you read some of the insults we get here? That was a little minor IMO.

Still though. Co-worker shouldn't have cashed his check. Co-workers should have your back, regardless. (Well, unless you are the dumbass, which isn't the casee here ).
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Wow, you're so lucky to be insulted after 10 years! Man, when I first started working I was insulted a lot. Sir, I bow to you in awe. *bows*

Dude sucked hardcore, but still.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I know. That's the thing that I'm still thinking about. This guy was freaking Ghandi compared to a lot of the other customers I've had before, but something about it set me off. Maybe it was lack of sleep. I'm pretty bad on lack of sleep.

Believe me, this is by far not my worst customer ever. I think it was just a culmination of having quite a few of them recently, and taking a "I'm not taking anyone's shit anymore" type of attitude.
        Last edited by erik316wttn; 04-26-2008, 03:17 AM.

Comment

you're guy was almost as bad as the guy that I hung up on today. I informed him that sense I had to put his rate in manually the confirmation email would not be sent out until a manager had verified the reservation which wasn't going to be monday... I told him not to worry about it though, it was just a formality they had never looked at a reservation that was done manually and not approved it... and granted he was relatively polite he still pissed me off more than any screamer because even though I have to admit that it kinda sucks having to wait for an email, it's like dude, you have a confirmation number... it finally came down to after the third time of me saying "sir, as I've explained before, there is no way I can get that email out any sooner, is there anything else I can assist with" i finally said if you ask for the email one more time I will assume that there is no other assistance you need and release the call...

that was a really long story to say, yeah erik I agree with you, sometimes the ones that aren't really that bad can be the ones that bother you the most.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

it sucked, but then again, it's not the size of the pebble that tips the tower, but the weight it puts on it, i guess.

proves that things that can set us off after years of crap can be minor, but that guy was WAAAAY outta line there. he's the pissy one...
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

You couldn't have the man who insulted you removed from the store?

Oh, right, this is Wal-Mart ... a free-fire zone.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

IMO, it's easier to be screamed at by an obvious lunatic than it is to suffer a direct, personalized insult. I'm glad he at least had to wait to get his check cashed.

Comment

I thought it was completely demeaning, belittling, and small of this guy to say such a thing. It sounded far more wounding than a string of swear words. I don't think you were overreacting one bit.

Comment

Quoth erik316wttn View Post
                    As he's taking out his new drivers license, he says to me "What a pissy little man."
                    "Talking about yourself again?" Yes, he was out of line. I don't blame you for walking away. You might want to call up a manager next time, especially if the manager is cool and usually backs you up.

Sometimes little snippy insults are more irritating than the major SC fits, like a splinter under your fingernail is more irritating than a large cut on your arm.

Besides, he was the stupid one in not updating his ID.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I agree with everyone else, I would be the same way. When someone is insulting you directly and personally, it's a lot harder to take than it would be someone who is obviously pissed at the world. Sorry you had to deal with that.
                      "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Hurts, doesn't it?

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                        You couldn't have the man who insulted you removed from the store?

Oh, right, this is Wal-Mart ... a free-fire zone.
                        Which is exactly the reason that I for the most part do not shop at Walmart. Sure, their prices are lower than most places, but I do not care for the way customers and management treat the employees.

That guy is the pissy one here, not you. Glad you did not take his crap. Hopefully that's the last you'll ever see of him.
                        "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                        ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

I think you were fine erik.

That fuckwad was out of line. It's his fault for not handing you the valid ID to begin with. You know someone like that would be first to scream and rant and rave if his ID had been stolen and someone cashed his check illegally. So good for you for doing your job properly and walking away when he was nasty.

I think walking away from the sitation is far more professional than flying off the handle. And I agree that pointed insults are much harder to shake off than someone spewing off general obscenities (somehow it's easier to take when someone is making a complete and utter ass of themselves).

I had a hard time at the photo place because people would often directly insult their photographers...I didn't have a hard enough skin back then to take it, nor did I really know how to handle it when I couldn't...I can't even think of some of those asshole people I had to deal with... it still makes my blood boil...(especially because I was pretty damn good photographer...)
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth Tito View Post
                            Which is exactly the reason that I for the most part do not shop at Walmart. Sure, their prices are lower than most places, but I do not care for the way customers and management treat the employees.

That guy is the pissy one here, not you. Glad you did not take his crap. Hopefully that's the last you'll ever see of him.
                            Unfortunately, he's in every 2 weeks like clockwork to cash his check. My other co-workers think he's an ass, too.

Comment

Quoth erik316wttn View Post
                              Unfortunately, he's in every 2 weeks like clockwork to cash his check. My other co-workers think he's an ass, too.
                              That's too bad.

Think positive.... one day, he might sign up for direct deposit. Or even better, get run over by a truck.
                              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Working...
                              X