This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just needed to vent.

This is my first post, however I have been reading things for awhile. Therefore I will give you a little history before I share my story. I work for a cruiseline and have for 9 years. This entire time I have worked some sort of custormer service, currently I handle escalated calls (mostly from morons). Today I got so annoyed I thought I would share.
    I received the call that was blind transfered from our so called Customer Relations department (post-cruise issues). First of all, my department is not to work on post-cruise issues but that is besides the point. I listened and the man's complaint almost made me laugh. Apparently, they decided to drive from NC to the pier in Miami (I'm from Miami and I highly reccommend that you do not drive it unless you can drive it unless you have private How-to lessons.) When they were about 2 hours from the pier they were involved in a 5 car pile up (no one was seriously injured in their party but there was a casuality). They missed their cruise and will not get a refund due to our cancellation policy. If they had purchased the travel insurance which is always offered then they would be able to get it all back except the insurance premium. (I will never understand how people can purchase a vaction that costs thousands and not get the protection which averages $99-129 per person). He insists that the cruiseline should give him his money back since he didn't take the cruise due to no fault of theres (this is true but since we were not infomed until 2 days into the cruise we did not resell the cabin and recoop the onboard revenue). All I wanted to scream was, "How is this the cruiselines fault?" but I didn't. Why do people expect everyone else to be responsible for things that happen to them. Yes, the accident may not have been his fault but not purchasing the insurance was. UGH!!!!

I feel better now that I vented.

That's why I always get cancellation insurance when I travel. Better safe than sorry. It's not expensive either so it's worth it. I even had to use it once so it was a good thing I got it.
    It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

So how mad was the guy on the phone? Yelling at the top of his lungs, or just impervious to logic?
      Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

He was a little of both. Actually, more sarcastic than anything and completely unaware that the cruiseline is not responsible. He booked through an online agency and apparently did not read the terms and conditions. (That is a major pet peeve of mine.)

Comment

I've been on one or two vacations where travel insurance was offered. I didn't take it. However, the most recent vacation I did take, I decided to opt for the insurance. I mean, the package was $1100 for two people, so we split it for around $600/each. If you're already spending that kind of money, what's a little more to insure that you're not completely out of luck if something happens.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

we get people damaging/losing cell phones constantly that refused to pony up the $5/month for insurance "because it's a ripoff-then they whine that it costs over $300 to replace the phone that they got for $50 when signing a contract. I had one customer that expected a free $700 phone because he lost his 2 days after getting it. Not even going to go into the rejects that think 1 year manufacturer's warranty against defects=insurance.
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Today a customer called and spoke to a CSR. She wanted to be reimbursed for a dress she'd purchased and had tailored because she wouldn't be back in the country to attend the wedding. I told the CSR it was management's problem. Management told the customer that prom season is a good time to sell a dress you don't want on Ebay to recoup some of your money.

Also, there are prom girls asking if we can alter dresses for May 9th and 17th proms. What? We're too busy? What are they supposed to do?

Comment

I've been a travel agent for 20 years and my parents recently took a 1600.00 cruise and didn't purchase the insurance.

"So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

It depends on the insurance. Some isn't worth the ink it took to print out. Read carefully, or you could still end up hosed. Also, insurance sold by the cruise lines themselves won't help you if they go under before your cruise. Lots of people got burned by that one a few years back.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth junebug88 View Post
                    He was a little of both. Actually, more sarcastic than anything and completely unaware that the cruiseline is not responsible. He booked through an online agency and apparently did not read the terms and conditions. (That is a major pet peeve of mine.)
                    urge to kill the sc rising... nothing bothers me more than the people who book online and don't read the terms and conditions... either the part about advance purchase no cancel or the people who book on a discount wholesaler (ie, priceline, hotwire) that do not guarantee room type get upset when they don't get the exact room type they wanted... well if it was that important you should have paid the extra for a guaranteed room type.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      that do not guarantee room type get upset when they don't get the exact room type they wanted...
                      It's a Hotel room-as long as it's clean, has a bed, bathroom, soap and TP-I'm happy if I'm in a hotel it's to sleep and I'm there as little as possible.
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                        I've been a travel agent for 20 years and my parents recently took a 1600.00 cruise and didn't purchase the insurance.

That's fine and dandy, but if your parents had a car accident on the way to the ship and missed the sailing, would you hold the cruiseline responsible?

And yes, some insurance sucks, but every policy that I've checked out covers an emergency situation such as theirs. On top of that the cruiseline I work for backs up the insurance by offering a percentage credit if the guests gets denied by the insurance carrier. In 2007 the insurance carrier paid 90% of all claims. And while this will not help if the cruiseline goes under it helps a lot more common things.

Comment

Yes, the accident may not have been his fault but not purchasing the insurance was. UGH!!!!
                          Most people don't buy insurance because they don't think they'll need it. I always ask, " Do you buy insurance really hoping to use it?"
                          You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

(I will never understand how people can purchase a vaction that costs thousands and not get the protection which averages $99-129 per person).
                            I understand your point of view... really, I do. What I don't understand is how companies that charge thousands of dollars for a trip or a piece of electronic equipment or what have you THEN expect the customer to shell out another hundred or so for insurance. It's a bit unreasonable, imho, and it should be included in the price of the trip. Then it would be mandatory, everybody would have it, and nobody would get screwed over when events that aren't ANYBODY's fault transpire to ruin their trip or whatever. Just my 2ΓΈ.
                            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                              It's a bit unreasonable, imho, and it should be included in the price of the trip.
                              Yeah, but then there'd be hordes of people complaining that they have to pay for something they don't even want.

My parents always said that insurance is something you pay for hoping you never have to use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X