This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I don't care if he's in a wheelchair, I was here first!"

This happened to a friend of mine who works in a bank.

An older gentleman in a wheelchair came in one day to take care of some paperwork. Since he had some forms and other information to fill out and compile, he wheeled away from the counter and over to an area he could work quietly, then he could wheel back to the counter to complete the transaction when he was done.

After finishing, the man rolled back up to an open window. This bank allows exceptions for disabled customers so the teller was perfectly happy to help out this gentleman.

This didn't apparently sit too well with the next customer at the front of the regular line. He stormed up behind the guy in the wheelchair and stared down the teller.

T = teller
    SC = douchebag
    BM = Branch manager
    OM: Old man

SC: Excuse me I was next in line!
    T: I realize that sir, but this man was actually ahead of you, he's been here almost an hour now so I want to get him taken care of and then I'll be happy to assist you.
    SC: I don't think so! I'm on a work break, I don't have time for this. You need to help me NOW. If this guy's been waiting an hour then he easily wait a little longer.
    OM: Excuse me son, but I've been waiting long enough and I was ahead of you.
    SC: Shut up Gramps, I got here first!
    T: (upset but trying to keep cool) I understand you're in a hurry sir but this man WAS here first.
    OM: Just like I told you.
    SC: (to OM) I said shut up! (To Teller) He left the line, that means he has to go to the back!
    T: Usually that would be true sir, but we do on occasion make exceptions for disabled customers.
    SC: WHY??
    T: We do it as a courtesy for them, besides this gentleman is also a retired veteran.
    SC: Well if you ask me, we all deserve to be treated equal and...(at this point, he grabs the handles of the guys wheelchair, pulls it back, turns it and pushes it out of the way!)...I was here first!
    OM:
    T:
    Other people in line:
    SC: Now I need to make deposits for accounts X, Y and Z.
    T: Sir that man is a retired war veteran and I refuse to serve you before him!
    (sounds of agreement from the other customers)
    SC: Well I'm not moving from this spot until I get this done, now are you going to help me or just stand there and look stupid?
    T: I'm getting the manager.
    SC: Thank goodness, maybe he can give me some decent service.
    (in the meantime, OM has wheeled himself back up to the counter)
    OM: Now listen here you son of a bitch...
    (SC is about to respond but the manager walks up)
    M: What seems to be going on here??
    SC: Your teller here is rude and does not understand common courtesy! I want her reprimanded!
    T:
    OM:
    Other customers:
    BM: Sir if I understand correctly, you verbally berated her and that disabled gentleman and in fact pushed the poor man's wheelchair out of the way and demanded service.
    OM: You're damned right he did and I wish I was younger because I'd knock this jerk's block off!
    (other customers voice agreement)
    SC: Ok forget about the teller, yeah I pushed the man out of the way, but I WAS HERE FIRST!
    OM: I WAS YOU BASTARD! And everyone here knows it!
    (other customers voice agreement)
    SC: This is ridiculous. I'm already going to be late for work because of you people so will you just let me deposit my money please?!
    BM: (with a big shit eating grin on his face) I'm sorry sir you'll have to wait, this other gentleman was here before you.
    OM: And don't you forget that.
    SC: This is UNFAIR. I'm reporting this bank to your corporate offices, the BBB AND the attorney general, I will NOT tolerate being treated this way! (storms out)

BM then proceeded to personally apologize to the man in the wheelchair, thank him for his service to our country and give him $25 cash on the spot for all the trouble. He also told him not to worry about SC coming back, as "I'll see to it that man will never bank here again."
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I believe that touching someone like that Pushing the chair, could be called assault. I'd have called the cops.

Comment

Wow...just when you thought you'd heard everything.
      "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
      "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
      --Dilbert

Comment

He's lucky he didn't have someone (or more than one) shove their fingers in his eyes, then up his nostrils lifting him up onto his tiptoes and then kneeing him in the family jewels.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

That SC was lucky he didn't get the shit beat out of him by all those people for disrespecting that elderly man.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Wow.

And I bet if that man wasn't in a wheelchair he WOULD have kicked the crap out of that SC!

Awesome job on the part of everyone involved for the handling of that situation... save for the SC.

And I bet if you would have decked the guy there'd be no witnesses. Not like I condone violence or anything.
            Last edited by Gothicsmurf; 04-30-2008, 01:07 AM.
            You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

OMG- I wish I'd been there. There is a special place in hell for that guy.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Good for you, the old man, and the branch manager for backing you and the old man up! There are moments that assault and battery need to be legalized.
                Op.125

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                  OMG- I wish I'd been there. There is a special place in hell for that guy.
                  Yep, that same place is also reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre
                  I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

that guys extra sucky...and the old man certainly seemed spunky though!
                    We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

*face in hands*

This is why I carry a set of handcuffs with me EVERYWHERE. Citizens arrest for being violent. At least just until the cops show up.
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

The bigger problem here are the other customers in line who just stood back and didn't tell the man to fuck off and threaten to take their own business elsehwhere if douchebags like him are actually taken seriously and listened to. Even people not involved can threaten to hurt a business, it's just as effective.

Personally, if everyone is gonna be so wimpy that people are going to let others run ragged like this guy, society maybe deserves to have the problems it has. Just a thought.
                        Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

I would have been SO tempted to beat the crap of of the SC. If I was the bank manager I would have refused service to SC and told them to scram or police will become involved.

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                            I believe that touching someone like that Pushing the chair, could be called assault. I'd have called the cops.
                            F*** YEAH!
                            You don't just man-handle anyone like that, not to mention a war vet
                            and he threatened him by saying "if he was younger i'd knock his block off"

let's see how late he is to work with handcuffs on his f***ing ungrateful hands.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

This is why I carry a set of handcuffs with me EVERYWHERE.
                              Oh, so they're not for dragging me off to the Amish?

/runs away even faster

SC: This is UNFAIR. I'm reporting this bank to your corporate offices, the BBB AND the attorney general, I will NOT tolerate being treated this way! (storms out)
                              I'm not worried about the BBB and the AG, but if the corporate office decides to bend over backwards to retain this pompous, insensitive ass of a "customer" I will
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X