This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take the money and run

This story is from about 15 years ago, when I was at Target. I'd been there about a year when this happened.

At the time I worked there, my Target had a few intercom "codes" that they trained the employees on. There was a code for a fire, when everyone was supposed to grab a fire extinguisher and head for the named area. There was one for an injury in the store. And there was one where every employee was supposed to drop everything and head to the front doors. I didn't really know what that one would be used for.

One day I was out stocking, and I heard the "go to the front" code. It was the first time I'd ever heard it. I headed up front, just in time to see about ten guys go charging out the front door, led by one of our managers.

I found out that a "customer" had gone through a checkout lane, and when the drawer was opened to get his change he slugged the cashier, grabbed all the cash he could get his hands on, and bolted. He had a partner in a getaway car waiting outside. Unfortunately for him, he'd picked a time when all the district LP people were having a meeting at our store. That was the group I'd seen running out the doors. The getaway driver saw them too; he drove off without stopping for the robber to get in the car. So the robber took off running down the street, which happened to be a 4-lane boulevard.

I had to leave shortly after so I didn't hear what happened until the next day. The store manager called me over and had a little job for me. He wanted me to go to an auto-repair business down the street with some grass seed, and re-seed some torn-up lawn they had there.

Seems the enraged manager and LP people had jumped into a couple of cars and gone cruising down the street looking for the crook. They found him a couple hundred yards down, drove off the road onto the grass, piled out of the car, tackled the guy, and hauled him back to the store to turn over to the cops. The owners of the auto-repair business were a bit irate, although they'd calmed down by the time I met them the next day. Nobody'd told them what was going on at the time.

The funny part came at a store meeting a week or so later, when the sheepish manager gave us all a presentation on the right and wrong way to deal with an incident like we'd had. Obviously, the "correct" procedure was quite a bit different than what he'd done in the actual event. I definitely liked his method better.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Great story!

Comment

working at a supermarket I saw some supervisors and managers do some crazy stuff over shoplifters, jump on the hoods of cars, run and tackle some really questionable characters, some of it I could understand, teenagers stealing booze, cigarettes, dine & dash (a waitress freind of mine sat on one guy after tackling him until his freinds went back in and paid), but if they're stealing diapers for crying out loud let em go.
      my sister worked in the deli, said she saw some guy stuffing a package of balogne in his shirt in the middle of winter, let him go because he looked homeless.
      one night while I wasn't working I walked up to my store to get a soda before heading home, a few sups were in the parking lot and asked me if I saw 3 teenage boys running through the neighborhood, when I asked what happened they told me they had stolen eggs when they were on sale for 39 cents a dozen it was halloween night.
      on a more serious note, however, I was at a gas station when the clerk got stabbed in the lung chasing shoplifters and a clerk at a tobbacco shop was shot and killed while doing the same, hence why they train you not to chase theives.
      "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
        on a more serious note, however, I was at a gas station when the clerk got stabbed in the lung chasing shoplifters and a clerk at a tobbacco shop was shot and killed while doing the same, hence why they train you not to chase theives.
        Exactly. It's easier to deal with the loss of some merchandise, than it is to deal with the untimely death/murder of an employee/friend.

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
          I found out that a "customer" had gone through a checkout lane, and when the drawer was opened to get his change he slugged the cashier, grabbed all the cash he could get his hands on, and bolted.
          Was the cashier OK?
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            Was the cashier OK?
            Shaken up, but fine.

Comment

There was a waitress in my area killed by four dine and dash people in their early twenties, barely old enough to drink. I won't give the restaurant's name, but it is an Irish bar and grill. This was five years ago and happened in the parking lot where I worked at the time. The lot was shared with this restaurant. The story goes that they racked up over a hundred dollars in food and alchoholic drinks and hit the door. The waitress was fast on their tail. She got behind the car as they piled in and proceeded to get liscense plate numbers. The driver ran in reverse over her. Employee was killed. The driver was apprehened days later, a female. She turned over her male passengers. She now sits in jail with life imprisonment. And for what? All because she decided the life of another person was not worth the hassle of paying a bill she never intended on paying? The passengers only got theft charges, small prison terms and probations.

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
                This story is from about 15 years ago, when I was at Target. I'd been there about a year when this happened.
                *snip*
                I found out that a "customer" had gone through a checkout lane, and when the drawer was opened to get his change he slugged the cashier, grabbed all the cash he could get his hands on, and bolted.
                Having worked at Target for all of a month: What's a "customer"?
                If you mean, a "guest" ah ha, but a customer? Never!
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  Having worked at Target for all of a month: What's a "customer"?
                  If you mean, a "guest" ah ha, but a customer? Never!

Yep, you're right; they were "guests" then too. I didn't remember that until you reminded me.

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
                    Yep, you're right; they were "guests" then too. I didn't remember that until you reminded me.
                    so if they're not customers, then does that mean that they aren't always right?
                    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                      so if they're not customers, then does that mean that they aren't always right?
                      *head scratchy* Um... good question. However, they were only dubbed 'Guests' to make them seem less clueless. We didn't want associates calling them customers, cause that had a negative connotation. Hmmm, I wonder why.
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                      X