This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you bathe in it?

You all know those customers that feel the need to bathe in their cologne/perfume.

Well, we had one two days ago. He came in about an hour before closing. He wandered around for about 30 minutes, got the things he needed, and then left.

Well, as he was checking out, I went to zone/face the areas that he was in, as I usually did with all customers that late, to make closing go faster.

I could still smell his cologne. Now, if it was a good kind, like Calvin Klein or Emporio Armani, then I woudn't have minded. But it smelled cheap. I couldn't quite pinpoint the scent. I know most mens' cologne smells, and this one was unfamiliar. But it smelled cheap. And he must have used half the bottle. Or maybe it came in a can. Either way, it stunk. I even asked my coworker, across the store, if she could smell it, and she said yeah. And he didn't even come within 50 feet of her, she could smell it from across the store. He was the only person in the store, so it wasn't someone else.

Ok, so he finally leaves. Meanwhile, more customers come in and out of the store within that 30 minutes that we were still open. This is important to remember. We were all leaving an hour after he left. As we were exiting the first set of doors, the familiar scent of cheap cologne hit us again. It had lingered in the entryway! When you come into the store, there are two sets of doors. The first set is kind of a foyer, where the DHL and FedEx boxes sit, and then the main set into the store itself. Both sets are are auto-sliding doors.

The scent of his cologne lingered in the foyer area, and not even the outside air combined with the blowing air of the climate control in there, was able to flush the smell out, I kid you not. All of us were gagging as we helped our manager lock up the security gate and doors, eager to get into the fresh air.
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

It's so hard to help those kind of people face to face when you are literally gagging on the oder/scent that they give off. It would be pretty comical to watch us at the register trying so hard to breathe through our mouths so that we can't smell the person standing in front of us, while trying to smile at the same time. People just need to lay off the extra perfume and cologne before going out in public.
    "You don't f*** with the people that handle your food!" -- Waiting

Comment

It may have been some of that Axe stuff.
      I know a guy who wears it and I'm convinced he marinates in it.
      My allergies just can't handle it.
      ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Was the scent still there the next morning?
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

We have a similar issue except it a s homeless man who dosen't bathe unless he gets arrested. We believe he also uses his paths as a personal toilet. Once we had a custoemr actually get sick when he walked by her and threw up. We had him removed by police. I felt really sorry for the cop who had to drive him back to the station.

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
            It may have been some of that Axe stuff.
            I know a guy who wears it and I'm convinced he marinates in it.
            My allergies just can't handle it.
            No, it wasn't Axe. I know those scents, as a co-worker uses them (but very lightly). This was an older guy, probably in his 60's or 70's.

I don't know if it was there the next morning (yesterday) as I didn't open, and I didn't think to ask the people who did. They probably would not remember by now.
            "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Sounds like Tag or Axe.

There are a lot of people who wear that stuff thinking women will attack them like in the commercials.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                Sounds like Tag or Axe.

There are a lot of people who wear that stuff thinking women will attack them like in the commercials.
                If you use too much of it, the kind of attack won't be a positive one. It wasn't Tag or Axe. It smelled like Old Spice that had been sitting in the bottle, opened and only half-gone, for 30 years... or some cheap dollar-store stuff.

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
                  It smelled like Old Spice that had been sitting in the bottle, opened and only half-gone, for 30 years... or some cheap dollar-store stuff.
                  So Brut then?

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                    So Brut then?
                    lol, no... my dad wears that stuff, so I definitely know it wasn't that.

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
                      It smelled like Old Spice that had been sitting in the bottle, opened and only half-gone, for 30 years... or some cheap dollar-store stuff.
                      It must be the cheap dollar store stuff because Old Spice smells good (even after 30 years... my dad still has a bottle from when we went to church on a regular basis ten and a half years ago).

Or... could it possibly be that "new" Pheromone crap they've come out with? it's supposed to attract the opposite sex. Smells disgusting to me.
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Evil Queen, I was about to suggest the dollar store cologne I've seen. They had some at Dollar Tree last time I was there.
                        I can only imagine what those things smell like.
                        ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

i have the issue where im alergic to alot of colognes. some of them give me an instant migraine, some of them make my throat close and i can barely breathe.

i have to go in those peoples cars, air fresheners, perfumes everything i about want to die. if they are in my waiting room i want to come in another door unfortunatly for us they locked all the doors in the shop for "lp" reasons so i dont have another route in other than the waiting room.

the other day i had a conversation with my boss who seems to want to kill me with his axe crap. he would drowned him self in the stuff. i had told him that i am sensitive to the stuff and he said well it is suppose to attract girls, i said yah um no.

so a few weeks go by and i had enough of this and i could smell it in the shop, i had a bit of a headache so i go to him and ask if hes trying to kill me, he said the same thing its suppose to attract girls, i said i had told him i was alergic and then reminded him of the conversation we had a few weeks ago word for word, and he looks at me and says oh yah you did say you were alergic sorry.

lucky for me he has not sprayed the stuff in a while, i do have a migraine today so im not looking forward to my cologne bathed customers.
                          "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
                            Evil Queen, I was about to suggest the dollar store cologne I've seen. They had some at Dollar Tree last time I was there.
                            I can only imagine what those things smell like.
                            They're always far too strong for me. I did, once, find a cheap cologne that I did like. It smelled like Vanilla.

Or was that vanilla extract? *thinks about it* Nah, it was vanilla extract.
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Something also to knowi is that some perfumes and colognes can and do go bad on someones skin. Me I can't wear anything like honey Suckle because it will smell like I met the wrong end of a skunk. Lavender however smells like fresh soap. Eqyptian Lavender makes me smell like fresh rain air and soap.

Me I don't have a sense of smell. I can however 'taste' cooking and meat that has gone bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X