This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan's scanner law

Ask anyone who works a retail customer service counter in Michigan, and they can tell you a horror story about Michigan's scanner law.

Basically the law is for people who don't trust UPC code scanners. It's meant to prevent supermarkets from reaping enormous profits by scanning cans of corn at 39 cents when they're supposed to be 35 cents.

The jist of the law is that if a customer finds a product that scans at a higher price than it's supposed to, they may demand a payoff from the retailer. The amount of the payoff is ten times the difference in prices. If something's supposed to scan at 2.50 and it scans at 3.00, the customer gets $5.00. The law limits the award to a minimum of $1 and a maximum of $5. The retailer is not required by law to pay, but they can pay to avoid further legal action.

So that the customer can tell whether they're being ripped off by a scanner, every item in the store must be marked with the correct price. Every can of corn, every music CD. (There are a few exceptions built in, and items that go on sale are exempt: they don't have to be marked down and marked up again at the end of the sale). The state Attorney General's office audits stores, especially around Holiday season and especially in election years, and stores that are found to be out of compliance are heavily fined. Of course, most of the violations are just ticketing errors, since in most stores all the pricing has to be done by hand, by imperfect humans.

When I was a Merchandising supervisor, I dreaded price increases on batteries. We have literally thousands of battery packages in the store, and if the price goes up, every last one has to be hunted down, the old price blacked out and a new price attached. Of course, when the Attorneys General brags about how their office is protecting customers, they don't mention the higher prices that must be charged to cover the labor of ticketing all those items.

Customers are well-versed on those parts of the law that result in them getting free money. Most are not so aware of the $5 limit, so you get lots of SCs looking for huge handouts from a big mis-mark. My favorite was a customer who came to me and showed me a product that was marked at $6.99, when the actual price was $4.99. I explained that the scanner law didn't apply since he wasn't being overcharged. I thought I was getting through, but when I finished he just gave me a scowl and said, "So you mean I'm not going to get anything from this?"
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Wow...that is such an stupid and un-needed law.

Here is an idea, Michigan: spend the taxdollars on something better than investigating the cost of cans of corn!

Olive juice you too.

Comment

Michigan has some of the most pointless laws in the world. Also they have some of the craziest drivers too.
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth ihatethenba68 View Post
        Michigan has some of the most pointless laws in the world. Also they have some of the craziest drivers too.
        Hey I resemble that remark!
        Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Comment

Quoth shenzee View Post
          Hey I resemble that remark!
          are you a pointless law or a crazy driver
          Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
            "So you mean I'm not going to get anything from this?"
            Depending on the product in question, there are SO many creative ways to answer that!
            "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
            -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Can of corn - $0.35

Can of beans - $0.99

Can of soup - $1.99

Seeing the look on your customer's face when they realize they can't get their way - Priceless.

(ok, so I don't work in grocery, so I don't any of the prices!)
              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Also, as I work in Michigan....
                People have a funny way of misremembering the law too. We have a copy of it in our counter books just in case any one gets uppity about it.

The law does not apply to items placed on the wrong rack ("This shirt was found on the 50% off rack...you have to sell it to me for that price!" "No, we don't. It was placed on the wrong rack by a shopper...we are not responsible for that error.")

The law only relates to ONE item of the same kind. Two or more of the same item do not get the refund (tho they do get the price reduction to the marked price.)
                Also, items that are obviously marked with stupid low prices (like a shirt with a mistake price of $.01 on it...) do not have to be sold for that price. (there actually is a law about this, tho I can't tell you what the name of it is. Our store merchandise manager told me about it.)

I once took advantage of the item pricing law. My fiance bought an 8-pack of soap at one store. It was marked one price, rang at a higher price. He went to Customer Service, and got the refund and the 10X refund too. Just about got the soap for free! The next day, I went to the store, and got the same soap...and it was STILL ringing at the wrong price. I got the same deal my fiance did.

The law exists to make the merchant be careful of scanned items..and to make sure the consumer is protected from over-rings. It may not seem like a lot, but in a big chain such as Meijer's, it can add up. People who do not read their receipts can be over charged for lots of things, and never know it.
                I no longer fear HELL.
                I work in RETAIL.

Comment

I've been hauling ass getting the store ready for quarterly inspections, so I'm too tired to explain in any well-reasoned and/or insightful manner why that law is a bunch of horseshit. So I'd like to just say:

That law is a bunch of horseshit.

I will say that the state of Michigan should damn well have bigger fish to fry, unless they figure that if you can't fight GM, well, you can stick it to the local Stop 'N' Rob.
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
                    , but when I finished he just gave me a scowl and said, "So you mean I'm not going to get anything from this?"
                    Why yes sir, you get a product for $2 less than you thought it was going to be! Congratulations, and thank you for shopping!

Comment

That's so stupid. If I see a price that scans different, I just mention it to the checker. I don't want anything for it, I just want to pay the correct price.

Comment

The Michigan scanner law does not cover sale items either. The customer can only try to collect the "reward" after the transaction is completed: once the customer pays and has reciept in hand.

I had a customer demand I pay him while in transaction because a sale item was not ringing. (At the time, I did not know it did not apply to sale items)

He argued with me. He told me that he should have kept his mouth shut until after the transaction so he could really get us. blah blah blah.

When customers incorrectly spew that scanner law stuff at me, I take the liberty of publicly, and loudly, correcting their misinformations. I hate customers who are know-it-alls. Granted, there are a couple of legit customers who do occasionally get us. They don't make a huge spectical of it.
                        At the end of the day, customers are NOT always right.

Comment

So that is great that there is a law that is out there like that. An honest mistake could be made on the part of the retailer, and if spotted the customer can benefit from it. It helps the retailer keep on its toes with prices and if the law is upheld and not abused it works out for all.

It seems to me like it is a one sided affair though.
                          Let's turn the tables though, shall we?

Let's say that a can of corn is marked at 0.39, yet rings up at 0.35 instead. In this case, the marked price is correct but the scanned one is not.
                          The customer actually ends up paying less than the marked price. Let us also assume it goes unoticed by the checker... but not the customer.
                          How many SC's out there are really going to point it out to the checker that the price was wrong? After all, the retailer is entitled to the marked price, if that price is indeed the correct one. Can the retailer then demand the customer pay 10X the difference?
                          I mean, it would only be fair.
                          "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
                            How many SC's out there are really going to point it out to the checker that the price was wrong?
                            How many SC's? Zero.

How many customers? Some. I have been known to do that on occasion, if I catch it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                            X