This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methinks you need a dictionary...once again, a wee lengthy

Ok, couple of scenarios, one from work, and one in which a sucky telemarketer calls me at home.

But you did it for me two days ago!!
    Tomorrow, a new summer school session starts, so we did a fairly brisk sunday business, selling books today. Now, I had a customer come in, with a book still in its plastic wrap, wanting to return it. Of course, he doesn't have his receipt. The following conversation ensues.

Me:
    SC: Well, self explanatory, really.
    K; Manager of Awesomeness mentioned in previous posts.
    Italics: My thoughts, or what I wish I could've REALLY said

SC: Well, I just need to return it, what's the problem?
    Me: Sir, I'm sorry, I can't do anything for you without a receipt.
    SC : <In a voice that says he's settling> Fine! I guess I'll just take store credit then...
    Me: Did you NOT hear me say I can't do ANYTHING without a receipt? And besides... I'm sorry, sir. We don't offer store credit. And if we did, I'd still need to see a receipt stating the item was purchased here, and was in the correct refund period.
    SC: So, what? I was in here the other day, and you let me switch out books. I don't have the receipt, my mom does, and she lives an hour awaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
    Me: Ok, Ididn't let you do anything. I wasn't working the other day! I'm sorry, sir, but that's the store policy.
    SC: <Enter the Tone of Smugness> Oh, really? So, what's changed between now and the other day, when you were actually helpful?
    Me: There goes that "you" bit again... I don't know, sir. That's just the policy. If you were allowed to do an exchange without a receipt, then I believe you had a manager's clearance. Do you remember who helped you?
    SC: <And now the transition into Huffiness> Why won't you just help me, since I've done this before? Fine, I had a manager help me. Do YOU have a manager here today?
    Me:<Turns to glance at K, who was standing next to me at the time, counting out the till beside me>
    K: I'm sorry, sir, but store policy says we can't do anything without a receipt saying you bought the book here.
    SC: Well where else would I have bought it!?
    Me: At one of the other THREE bookstores that serve the campus of over 40,000 students!!!!! <Wisely bites her tongue>
    SC: Fine, well then just give me store credit, I'll take that.
    K: I'm sorry, sir, but store policy says we can't do anything without a receipt saying you bought the book here.
    SC: Well what CAN you do as a manager?
    K: You can come in tomorrow and speak with B, he's the general manager of the store, and is the only one with the power to override policy.
    SC: <And now the beloved cat butt face, which looks distinctly odd on this guy, I might add...> Fine! I'll be here tomorrow at 9 sharp when you open!! <Exuent SC>
    K: <After the door shuts and SC is in his car> Well, politeness states I should have told him we open at 7:30. But I didn't feel like it.
    Me:

I'm not a solicitor. Just give me their number so I can sell them something!

I got this phone call about an hour ago.

Me: again!
    ST: Sucky telephone-solicitor

ST: Hi, this is Carl from <University> may I speak with the parents of Lupo Pazzesco, please?
    Me: Uh... <sees it's a call from my University, but I'm an independent student...> they actually don't live here with me. This is Lupo, but I live alone.
    ST: Oh! Well, I was just calling in regards of a fundraiser <University> is running, so parents can contribute to their child's school.
    Me: That's nice, but they don't live here. I'm sorry. Have a good night!
    ST: Wait! Can you just give me their number so I can call them instead, and ask for a contribution?
    Me: Uh... um, no. I don't think my mom wants me directing phone solicitors her way. I'm not giving out her information.
    ST: I'm not a solicitor. I'm just trying to see if parents want to contribute to a fundraising campaign for <University>
    Me: That's solicitation...and I'm sorry, I'm not giving out my mom's personal contact information.
    ST: But I'm not soliciting! Don't your parents want to actually want to HELP you while you're in school?! Or are they actually making you do it all yourself?
    Me: Ok, and now's the time I ask for your supervisor!
    ST: There's no need for that! I'm just doing my job.
    Me: You're doing it badly. I'd like your name, and to speak with your supervisor, please.
    ST: I don't have to give you that.
    Me: Actually, you do. But I have caller ID. I can just call back and speak with your supervisor later, and they can go through your call logs, since I have the date and time stamp on my phone, too.
    ST: You can't do that!
    Me: Yes I can. You're asking for private contact information. I've informed you twice they don't live here, I've said no twice to giving out my mom's information. And now you're being insulting and pushy. I need your name and supervisor.
    ST: Well you're not getting it!
    Me: <Has been running a search online this entire time> Ok, I don't need it! I just realized, you're calling from <University> call center, which advertises jobs on the <University> site. I can get the supervisor's name there, and you said yours was Carl, right?
    ST: <click>

I ended up writing an email the the supervisor info on the website, explaining what had happened and all the pertinent details. I actually worked briefly as a telemarketer, and I don't know how different the rules are from call centers, but I'm pretty sure Carl broke some of them. We shall see where this goes. Carl needed a dictionary!

so·lic·it Audio Help /səˈlɪsɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[suh-lis-it] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to seek for (something) by entreaty, earnest or respectful request, formal application, etc.: He solicited aid from the minister.
    2. to entreat or petition (someone or some agency): to solicit the committee for funds.

I can't believe he actually asked for my mom's private number to hit her up for money! I mean, seriously??
    Last edited by lupo pazzesco; 07-07-2008, 02:34 AM.

I did that once for my college. We would do a phone-a-thon and volunteers from various organizations would call the alumni for donations. Had a few interesting conversations; got a lot of "no I don't think so."

We were told to get new contact info if need be, but I didn't bother too much. Considering the school, I can understand why people don't update the alumni list. But some others...when did no stop meaning no?
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Apparently the SC and the sucky telemarketer don't know that no means no at all.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
        ST: But I'm not soliciting! Don't your parents want to actually want to HELP you while you're in school?! Or are they actually making you do it all yourself?
        Well, let's see, (a) I'm 30 years old [or will be, when I go back to school next fall], (b) I have already had my parents' help for my undergraduate degree, (c) my parents are currently helping my youngest brother get HIS undergraduate degree, and (d) my parents are also paying off student loans from their own recently obtained degrees. So, uhm, yeah, I'm kind of [going to be] doing this myself. And if my parents DO opt to help in whatever small way they can, I more foresee Wal*Mart gift cards for ramen noodles, or maybe a check to the power company, than donations to my Alma Mater.
        Zee website has been *UPDATED*

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post

I ended up writing an email the the supervisor info on the website, explaining what had happened and all the pertinent details.
          Having worked 5 years in high-stress, highly competetive sales, I can tell you without a doubt, I'm 90% sure it was either said supervisor or some higher up that instructed this guy to hard-sell you like that and to try to get your parents' info. Either that, or dude was behind on his quotas and desperate (which essentially, is the same thing)
          Last edited by Ree; 07-11-2008, 03:25 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
          I will never go to school!

Comment

Wow talk about entitlement idiot . . . .I am not aware of any rule or law that says one has to continue financial support of a minor past (depending on state) 18.

sorry . . .I just take issue with little turkey's that are given everything and don't realize the rest of the world doesn't work that way . . .

Lupo - woot for you taking care of yourself and not expecting someone else to do it for you

Comment

Next time, give him a phone number from the Rejection Hotline.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
              X