This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market Forces 101

So last week the heat of summer broke and we finally had a pleasant and cool day. Since it was bright and sunny, I decided it would be a good day to change the sign out front. I love my desk, don't get me wrong, but the occasional change is good.

My suction-cup-on-a-stick isn't quite long enough to reach the highest letters, so I use a ladder. While I am flailing this about, a pickup truck pulls up next to me. The placard on the side says it is a sign and banner company. This is partially responsible for the weirdness that ensues.

The guy who leans out of it looks normal enough, but his redneck accent makes him nearly incomprehensible. The first thing he asks is "Whaddya get for your rooms?"

Normal enough. I quote him the rate of the day. Then he asks about the Biker Weekend. Something like 75,000 Harley enthusiasts will be in town. Do you think there are hotel rooms available?

"I'm sorry, sir. I'm totally sold out. You should try the hotels in the next city."
    "But whaddya get for them?"
    "Well they are $100 plus tax, but I'm totally sold out. You should try the next city"

Now this is where it gets weird. He asks me, "Well, you wouldn't like it if I went up on your signs?"
    I'm rather puzzled by this. "Excuse me?"
    "Next week, you wouldn't like it if I went up on your signs?"
    "I don't believe our signs need any maintenance"
    "But you wouldn't like it."
    "What do you mean?"
    So he repeats himself. "Next week, you wouldn't like it if I went up on your signs?"

Well, repeating a stupid question doesn't make it any less stupid.
    "I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you please restate or rephrase your question?" (Yes, that's the wording I used. I get lots of calls from people who don't speak the Queen's English and using different nomenclature often clears up misunderstandings.)

No good. Once again, he goes, "Next week, you wouldn't like it if I went up on your signs?" He must be a member of the "if they don't speak English, just talk louder" school of communication, because he is practically shouting redneck gibberish at this point.

"What do you mean? Our signs don't need maintenance, either this week or the next."
    "But the price is different."
    Breakthrough! "So you are upset that our prices change throughout the year."
    "Yeah! The price should be the price."

So he was basically saying that I would be upset if he gave me one price for signs for this week, but then increased it next week.

At this point I am tired of this conversation. Why should I spoil the nice weather by giving a lecture on supply and demand to an ignorant hick? The next thing that occurs in this type of conversation is they accuse me of price gouging, which also demonstrates their ignorance of the law. So I decide to blow him off.

"If you don't like my prices, you may take your business to my competitor."
    And I pity my competitor too, for having to deal with this kind of person. And I'm really glad that my signs don't need fixing.
    Last edited by Salesmonkey; 09-19-2006, 07:04 PM. Reason: Clarification of unclear point
    "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Don't you just love it when they ask you something you don't understand, and they "clarify" it by repeating the exact same thing you didn't understand the first time?

I see now what he was getting all bent out of shape out, but still have no idea what that question meant.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Now to be fair, there are times I didn't understand something because I missed a key word in the sentence, or for some reason my brain farted and couldn't put the words I was hearing together, so when someone repeated it I got it. Because of this it means that I will frequently repeat a sentence word for word if someone didn't get it. HOWEVER, if repeating it once doesn't help, I will usually try a different word order, or different words altogether (like "dumbing" it down).

There's really no reason to say the same sentence more than twice, maybe three times. If someone didn't get it the first two times, chances are a third, fourth, ad infinitum won't help...
      ...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
      - Cartman

Comment

And here I was thinking he was going to go up and change the letters around on your sign to say something filthy if you didn't get him a room.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
          And here I was thinking he was going to go up and change the letters around on your sign to say something filthy if you didn't get him a room.
          I thought it was a threat, too.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

And I always thought supply vs. demand was such an easy thing to grasp...then I started reading this forum.

Comment

He He, it is funny when people try and bargain when they have no idea about market values and differences in the product. Even better is when they refuse to admit they are wrong.

An example I saw was in the gun section of the local Cabelas. I was at the counter drooling over a NIB condition 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk handgun in .357 Magnum.

To keep it simple for those not into guns, the 3-Screw Blackhawk was made from the 1950's until 1973. Blackhawk guns made after 1973 are the "new model". The 3-screw models, being limited in number, demand a higher price than a "new model". Sometimes this is QUITE a bit more than a modern Blackhawk.

Anywho, this moron comes to the counter and wants the Blackhawk but says it is too much. He opens the Book of gun values that they have at the counter and points to the price HE wants to pay. I was watching this thinking, "Sorry moron, look back a page under "Old Model Blackhawk"." The price they where wanting was quite reasonable for it. Moron gets pissed after having no luck and walks off in a huff. I say to the clerk, "What an ass." They nod.

The gun sold less than two weeks later at the price they wanted for it. (I talk to the clerks alot.)
              "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

It seems that SCs often forget about inflation, supply and demand, tax, title, delivery, license and any other charges or changes that will affect prices that are beyond the persons control.
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                  That's what I thought, too. Should I be ashamed of that?
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                  X