This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know how you guys operate

This happened to a co-worker of mine, but I'll pass on the story even though I wasn't there at the time.

M installed a CD player into a customer's car. The customer picked up the vehicle, left and drove across the street to a large discount store. While he was inside the discount store shopping, someone broke into his car and stole his new CD player. He came out, found his car burglarized, and called the cops.

The police officer came back to our store and spoke to M, who was unaware of the theft. The officer reportedly said, "Look, I know how you guys operate. I know you took the CD player. Just give it back and we won't go any further with this."

M had to deny repeatedly that he'd stolen the CD player. I'm told he was able to keep his temper, which is more than I would have under the circumstances. Interestingly, there were two installers working at the time, but the officer focused on M, probably because he looked younger than the other installer.

Of course the cop was just on a fishing trip, and nothing more happened after the incident.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

If you're in the States, my immeadiate reply to the accusation is

"Are you accusing me of <crime> simply because I work here? Or do you have anything that proves my connection to this crime?"

Comment

We used to have a privately run stereo store like that. They required addresses for all their sales, and generally stole back most of their merchandise later on after selling it. They got shut down after the police caught on.

But yeah, that officer was just fishing. Glad he left you all alone after that.
      I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Comment

Working...
      X