This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer took $20

This customer paid for something, and gave me a 50 dollar bill, and I handed him change. Later, he came back saying I didn't give him 20 dollars. Because I was so busy, I asked him what money he had. He showed me some 1s. I gave him 20 dollars. Then my drawer was short. Anyone been scammed like this?
    Whasup everybody, its chris in the house!

There's another thread somewhere in here talking about scammers of a different kind, and I put this story in there, but I had this exact kind once.

Guy buys ticket, leaves, comes back, claims I shorted him $10. Me being the trusting soul I was, I handed it over, no questions asked. Later, *boom* exactly $10 short.

I don't know if it was on purpose or he really believed I shorted him, but with my attitude now is "He meant to do it, he's scum."
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I know where I work, if that happens, the policy is to take down the person's number and if the drawer is short, call them back, unless it is a small amount like a buck.
      free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/1487192.html

Comment

Why didn't you bother to ask for his receipt?

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
            Why didn't you bother to ask for his receipt?
            Because the scammer would only need to take out the $20 before heading back to the till, so seeing the change owed on a recipt wouldn't help for beans.

Comment

Chrisistheman, don't let being busy stop you from checking it right next time. Tell the customers you have to count down the drawer and get a manager. Never take anybody's word for anything, especially if they've left and come back.

You probably just didn't think he'd be scamming, gave him the benefit of the doubt. Sadly, there are a minority that have ruined this for the majority. Benefit of the doubt is now a redundant terminology. Always, always, check it.

Comment

Chrisistheman, One-Fang is right. I've had to spot registers for that very reason.
                My Fanfic Page
                My Fiction Page
                My Social Group
                My Pet Social Group
                My You Tube Channel

Comment

One time I had a guy swear up and down that he gave me a $50.00 bill. He gave me a 20, and I gave him change for a 20. I was just about to call managment to come lock me off and audit my till, while looking under my drawer for any $50's. HA! No $50's! Not a one! I told the guy there is no way he gave me a $50 cuz I didn't have one!
                  >SNAP<
                  nice try, scammer!
                  WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

The brief time I was a cashier in a grocery store and then ALL the time as a bartender. I would lay the money given to me on the top of the cash drawer rather than putting it in right away. I would count the change and THEN add the customers to the drawer. I knew what they gave me all the time that way. If they leave the store or bar and then come back - tough shit - I wouldn't give them any more money. If they had a problem, talk to the manager, if they want to give you money back - it's their ass not mine!
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Money Changes Everything

Yep, happened to me, too. Lady scammed me out of $10.
                      I had just given her change and sent her on her way and she must have used sleight of hand to hide the $10 I gave her because she turned around almost immediately and claimed I had shorted her.
                      I was positive I had given her the correct amount, but it happened so quickly, I figured I was mistaken.
                      Nope. I was short $10 when I counted the till later.
                      So, always (repeat) ALWAYS count the till when somebody makes this claim. I don't care if it's your grandmother, count that puppy.
                      ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth batmoody View Post
                        One time I had a guy swear up and down that he gave me a $50.00 bill. He gave me a 20, and I gave him change for a 20. I was just about to call managment to come lock me off and audit my till, while looking under my drawer for any $50's. HA! No $50's! Not a one! I told the guy there is no way he gave me a $50 cuz I didn't have one!
                        >SNAP<
                        nice try, scammer!
                        I'm surprised he didn't try to accuse you of pocketing it. People suck.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if stores started having two cashiers at the same register so that one can act as a spotter, to prevent this sort of thing.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            It wouldn't surprise me if stores started having two cashiers at the same register so that one can act as a spotter, to prevent this sort of thing.
                            Yeah, like companies would ever cough up the payroll for that. Maybe some video cameras. Hi-res. 'Cause then they get to spy on the employee and make sure they aren't trying to pull anything either.

Comment

Stop what you are doing and have a manager count the drawer down. If a customer starts fussing, tell them it is company policy (which it generally is). Managers are usually happy to help out (and their very presence scares off scammers).

Comment

Working...
                              X