This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Brain is Bleeding

Working in a call center has made me lose a lot of faith in humanity. I work on a new account now. Basically providing paid tech support for an e-mail product. You would not believe how many people call up wanting free help for something extensive and complain because they claim they didn't know it wasn't free.

When they get our number through the site, the only place the phone number is displayed is RIGHT UNDER THE PRICE, which is in big bold black letters on a bright background. Also, every link leading to the page where they finally get the phone number says fees apply. Simple stuff we can handle without charging although we are supposed to try to make a sale even with those issues. The thing that pisses me off even more than the people who cannot read are the people who KNOW that there is a charge for help, but don't feel they should have to pay for it. We even get people who accuse us of deliberately "breaking" their email to make a buck.

I had one SC that just pissed me off beyond belief. I see red even thinking about how much of an ass he is.

As soon as I answered, he asked me if I was in some foreign country. I KNEW this would be bad.

Basically, all of his email from different conservative and border security groups are being routed to a spam folder. He was pissed saying everyone else who has accounts with us who also subscribe to those groups have the same problem. I told him to click the box that marks it as not being spam and every time he does that it will help us update what we designate as spam. I also told him to add the senders to his address book. HE complains that he has done this a million times and we are trying to "censor" him.

I chuckled quietly, luckily he didn't hear me. It quickly ceased being amusing and very soon I was pissed of. I tried to explain to him how the spam system worked and that it wasn't going to update immediately so in the meantime, create a filter and that will route them to his inbox instead of the spam folder. I shouldn't have tried to explain it b/c I was getting flustered.

ME: It's complicated to explain clearly.

Him: Explain it. I'm an engineer, so go ahead.

Me: All we can do in meantime is continue marking it as legitimate mail and create a filter. I even get solicited mail from large companies like ebay routed to my spam folder, so it will happen sometimes, it's nothing about the political leanings of the groups.

Him: I shouldn't have to do that. You are trying to censor me. Your company doesn't like conservatives. blah blah blah.

ME: Sir, until the spam blocker is updated, the only thing we can do is have you create a filter and continue marking it as not spam.

Him: I know Sean Hannity. I'm actually having dinner with him. I'm a very important person blah blah I know a lot of media. I can make this bad for your company.

ME: (I have been trying to speak but he keeps talking over me so I finally do the same to him) Sir, you are well within your rights to complain to the media, but the best thing for you to do would be to create a filter.

Him: Let me speak to a manager. Somebody who won't give me canned answers.

Me: He's going to tell you the same thing, but I will certainly get him for you.

I was so pissed I was shaking. That jerk has no idea what censorship is. I got my manager over and pretty soon, he was sitting there rolling his eyes and giving him the same canned answers I was. It was retarded. We ended up spending 30 minutees talking to this guy and not getting a penny out of him.
    This SC demanded a contact number for corporate or somebody else to complain to. All we had was customer care's email address, where he will get another canned response. Finally he hung up.

I looked over his history and this guy has been calling or emailing carious customer service places within the company about this issue for the past nine months. In one email, he even wrote "tell the w**back libs to stop trying to censor me."

I did a little research and it is possible that he is actually having dinner with conservative media talking heads. I hope he tells them what happened and gets laughed out of town. I can only pray that he doesn't tell any of our other users to call in and harass us about the spam blocking.
    Last edited by varmintjane; 09-23-2006, 04:29 PM. Reason: clarity

an engineer, huh? too bad he couldn't 'engineer' a way to make it work right; i have to admit that 'censorship' filter is new to me, though.

once again, this is proof that a college degree doesn't guarantee intelligence (or anything else, for that matter).
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth varmintjane View Post
      Him: I shouldn't have to do that. You are trying to censor me. Your company doesn't like conservatives. blah blah blah.
      Wrong, sir. We just want your money, not your vote.

Rapscallion

Comment

As soon as I answered, he asked me if I was in some foreign country. I KNEW this would be bad.

Basically, all of his email from different conservative and border security groups are being routed to a spam folder.
        I loaded the newest Norton about a month ago. Now, I have both Norton's Anti-Spam and Outlook's Anti-Spam both searching through my email. Which means that I have to go through two separate spam folders. Every email I get from a new seller or buyer on eBay gets tossed in one folder or the other.
        Last edited by Rapscallion; 09-23-2006, 08:53 PM.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I can't stand dealing with engineers. The ones who come to our practice are so damn stuck up!

I just want to scream at them "Look assholes, just because you're an engineer that does *NOT* make me retarded by default!"
          "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

I also told him to add the senders to his address book. HE complains that he has done this a million times and we are trying to "censor" him.
            Oh goodness me . . . he probably hadn't done it a million times . . . he wanted you to magically fix the problem from your computer. Even if he did try to repair the problem, he messed up somewhere along the way. It shouldn't be that hard to reroute spam e-mail into regular mail . . .
            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
              Oh goodness me . . . he probably hadn't done it a million times . . . he wanted you to magically fix the problem from your computer. Even if he did try to repair the problem, he messed up somewhere along the way. It shouldn't be that hard to reroute spam e-mail into regular mail . . .
              All he had to do was create a filter for those groups and they would be rerouted to the inbox. He just decided to play Mr. Persecuted. The thing that pissed me off the most was his tone of voice. Especially when he asked for a manager, like I was a child playing on the phone. I feel sorry for the people who have to deal with him face to face.

Comment

I wonder what his reaction would be if stuff he WANTED designated as spam made minutely appearances in his email inbox...
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I did a little research and it is possible that he is actually having dinner with conservative media talking heads. I hope he tells them what happened and gets laughed out of town.
                  no, from what little I've seen of sean hannity he'll probably sympathise with the peice of $%^& and he, bill o'reilly and the rest of the gustappo will be attacking internet companies "how dare you block popups that support sacred family values"

sorry, I just really hate conservatives, fox news ones anyway
                  "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                    I loaded the newest Norton about a month ago. Now, I have both Norton's Anti-Spam and Outlook's Anti-Spam both searching through my email. Which means that I have to go through two separate spam folders. Every email I get from a new seller or buyer on eBay gets tossed in one folder or the other.

ack!

norton = something to be scraped off your shoe after walking in a dog park.

norton breaks more compiuters than it fixes, even McAffe is better
                    DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                      no, from what little I've seen of sean hannity he'll probably sympathise with the peice of $%^& and he, bill o'reilly and the rest of the gustappo will be attacking internet companies "how dare you block popups that support sacred family values"

sorry, I just really hate conservatives, fox news ones anyway
                      don't hate on conservatives, oreilly and hannity have no idea what true conservatism is.

see Barry Goldwater

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater
                      Last edited by Lehk; 09-24-2006, 03:56 AM.
                      DILLIGAF

Comment

One warning, and one warning only. Stick to the issue of the sucky customer in the post. Do not turn it into a debate thread.
                        "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

walk him through disabling the spam filter, then let him see for himself what "uncensored" email feels like
                          DILLIGAF

Comment

I'm a conservative and even I shudder at the mention of Barry Goldwater.

Still, if it were me in your shoes, after a long moment I'd probably lose my job for saying it, but I'd ask him rather politely if he knew what freedom of speech was. When he said yes, I'd express my right to free speech and give him an earfull.
                            Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
                            X