This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You meen the drop box that's taped shut?"

I had a customer come up to rent a movie tonight. When her account came up it showed a disc past due.

Me: Did you return [movie title]?
    Cust: Yes, I put it in the drop box earlier today.
    Me: Hah, nice try, we don't have a drop box anymore.
    Cust: Yes you do.
    Me (looking out the window at where the drop box used to be): Mmm-no we don't.
    Cust: It isn't out there anymore, it's around back now.
    -pause-
    Me : You mean the one by the trash dumpster with duct tape over the slot.
    Cust: Yeah, I just peeled the tape off the door and threw it in there.
    Me: Yeah, it was back there and duct taped shut because we're getting rid of it and we don't want customers to use it anymore. I'll go see if the movie's still in there.
    (I walk around to the trash dumpster, customer follows. I open the door and look inside.)
    Me: It's not here.
    (The customer looks inside, then looks into the trash dumpster, then looks inside the now-defunct drop-box AGAIN.)

Thankfully when we got back inside, the manager backed me in making this lady pay the replacement fee for the movie ($13). She rented three movies and as she stormed out she said, "I'm never comin' here again."

I waited until she was safely out of the parking lot before replying, "Yep, so you'll end up being charged fifty bucks a pop for those movies you'll apparently never return." At which the customers in line (mostly regulars) who had witnessed the first and last part of this spectacle laughed.
    Last edited by boffomusic; 09-24-2006, 06:22 AM. Reason: emoticon in place of parenthetical

I would LOVE to see that woman's face if/when she realizes the stupidity of what she said and did.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

you mean you actually made her pay for the movie that she threw away? How dare you. Don't you know that throwing a movie in the trash is the same thing as returning it? Jeez
      Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Comment

i'm calling bull on that one, customer lost the disc and was trying to play the "but i returned it to the box" card
        DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          I would LOVE to see that woman's face if/when she realizes the stupidity of what she said and did.
          Probably not. That would require having at least SOME intelligence, which it does not sound like she does.
          "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
          ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

The stupid is strong in this one.

And I'm sure her video renting experience was ruined. I'm waiting for the PFB miniseries.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

She said she was not coming back?

If she was so angry why did she rent 3 more movies?

People are sometimes very dumb. It was her own fault.

At one of the video store locations that I worked at sometimes people would put movies in the garbage can in front of the store thinking it was the drop box even when there was a big sign that said DROP BOX above the actual drop box.

Comment

call it morbid curiosity, but what movie was it she had put in the "box?"
                Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I remember a story from one of the old boards about a lady that put her tapes in the Drop Box in front of the store

The store did not have a drop box in front.

They did however have a trash can out there.
                  "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Ow... my sides hurt.
                    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                    HellGate: London

Comment

I can't help but to think that this happens at my store all the time. We sometimes have people claim to have returned their movies, but we cannot find them anywhere. I don't want to say, "Are you sure you didn't put them in the trash can?" because they would throw an even bigger fit at me for calling them stupid. The only problem is that they ARE stupid.

Comment

Wow, I am amazed at the stupidity of this one. She removed the tape from the drop box that was back by the dumpster to return the movie.

I need a moment to process this one.
                        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

[QUOTE=friendofjimmyk;33951]: She removed the tape from the drop box that was back by the dumpster to return the movie. [QUOTE]

Nope. She claimed it was in there. OP said they looked, and didn't find it there, hence the need to pay the replacement fee.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

After finding out that there was no drop-off slot in the front of the store, my question is: Why would she go to the back of the store and start snooping around by the dumpsters (assuming that she actually did that)? Most people-myself included-would see that there was no drop-off slot, and keep the movie, returning next day. Very odd.
                            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I worked in a video store that had a 5 movie limit per customer policy. We have 2 outside drop boxes. One is in front of the store and the movies actually go into the building when dropped off. The other one is our overnight drop box which is located around the side so employee's have to actually go outside and check it once every 2 hours. Most of the time people were smart enough to just use the one in front or just take them inside, but sometimes people would go out of their way to drive around, drop the movies off in the overnight box and then drive around to the front and go inside for movies.

So a typical conversation would go like this.

Me: It seems you already have 5 movies out at this time. We have a 5 movie limit policy.

SC: Oh no I already returned the movies

Me: (Sighing) Okay did you drop the movies off in the drop box right up front?

SC: No, I used the one on the side

Me: (Whispering) asshole...

So now I had to go outside with the key and open the drop box and find their movies (usually there would be 10 different copies of their movie in the box and we had to find the exact copy that was rented to the customer)

I guess it really isn't the customers fault because essentially if we don't want them using a drop box then we shouldn't have it there. The way I see it though, if you're GOING into the store to rent movies why cant you just bring your old rented movies in with you so we can immedietly check them back in? Instead they would rather me out there and bring the movies in myself. I most definitly understand why your store wanted to get rid of the drop box.

Comment

Working...
                              X