This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, Well Since You Put It THAT Way...

I was on the phones again yesterday. I basically got paid to sit and be bored since, due to my recent surgery, I can't walk around and do my usual work. I got a couple of mildly entertaining stories, though.

Wii Would Like to Whine

Me: (Greeting)
    Caller: Hey, I got a Wii from you guys last year. (pause)
    Me: Okay.
    Caller: And I got one of your warranties on it, too. (pause)
    Me: Okay.
    Caller: And there's something wrong with it. (pause)
    Me: (Get to the point already!) Okay.
    Caller: So, I want to know what I should do since I have your warranty.
    Me: What's the problem?
    Caller: The controllers don't work any more. Well, sometimes they work, but only for a few seconds at a time.
    Me: You've put fresh batteries in?
    Caller: Yep. And we made sure the sensor bar was plugged in right.
    Me: Have you called Nintendo's tech support to see if they could help?
    Caller: Yeah. They couldn't figure it out.
    Me: Well, since you have our warranty, bring the system in, and we'll make sure you get the replacement that our warranty entitles you to.
    Caller: The whole thing?
    Me: Yep. Everything that came in the original box, though it's okay if you're missing the box and the papers.
    Caller: But the problem is only with the controllers!
    Me: That's where the symptom is. The problem could be in one of several places. You'll need to bring the whole thing in.
    Caller: Can't I just bring in the controllers?
    Me: Your warranty is on the Wii itself, not the controllers. You'll need to bring the whole thing in.
    Caller: But the problem is only with the controllers!
    Me: We still need all of it.
    Caller: But the PROBLEM is only with the CONTROLLERS!
    Me: (Your Jedi Mind Trick has failed.) If you just bring the controllers in, we won't be able to do anything for you.
    Caller: I think you will. I'm just going to bring the controllers in since that's where the problem is. *click*

Right. My car is having engine trouble, so I'll just take the engine down to my mechanic and have him fix it. Because the problem is only with the engine. It can't have anything to do with the fuel injectors or fans, belts, cooling system, or any other part of the car's innards. Look, idiot: if all four controllers, which are completely independent of each other, stopped working at the same time, the problem is not in the controllers. The problem is in something else. Besides, you only got one controller with the Wii, so that's all we'd be able to replace under the warranty.

I'm so glad I don't have to process returns!

If You See It On Television...

Me: (Greeting)
    Caller: Hey, I'm looking for wireless headphones.
    Me: I have some of those. What do you want to use them for? Computer or home theater system?
    Caller: Actually, I want to use them for my iPod.
    Me: I see. Does your iPod have Bluetooth built in?
    Caller: No. I was hoping there was some module I could just stick in the headphone hole that would let me use wireless headphones.
    Me: Well, you can, sort of. It's not portable, though. They're for the wireless home theater headphones, and they're much bigger than your iPod.
    Caller: But don't you have a Bluetooth set?
    Me: I do, but it will only work with a Bluetooth enabled device like some cell phones or with a computer that can accept a USB Bluetooth adapter.
    Caller: Are you sure? I mean, there's got to be something I can get.
    Me: I'm afraid I don't have anything that will work for you. Your iPod doesn't have Bluetooth; we can't add Bluetooth to it; and the only other wireless headphones I have are too big for what you're looking for.
    Caller: You really don't have anything?
    Me: No. I don't know if such a thing exists. I know, if it does, we certainly don't have it.
    Caller: Oh, it exists. I'm sure it does. I saw it. It was in a movie.
    Me: ... I see.
    Caller: No, it was a realistic movie.
    Me: ...
    Caller: Well, thanks anyway. *click*

Because we all know that everything in movies, especially in "realistic" ones, is absolutely true and real. This guy wasn't sucky at all, but his reasoning baffled me. Granted, what he want might exist, but claiming that it certainly does because he saw it in a movie? Now that takes genius.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

I was hoping there was some module I could just stick in the headphone hole that would let me use wireless headphones.
    ....uh, right. Did you know Logitech makes cordless headphones that you can use? Just plug the receiver into the IPod, or CD player (I have a set so I can listen to music while washing dishes without disturbing my SO while he's watching TV or any guests).

But if he saw it in a movie, it must be real! Like robots, talking cars and Cinderella! I want talking mousies....
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      ...without disturbing my SO while he's watching TV or any guests.
      Your SO watches the guests? Doesn't that freak them out?
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
        Your SO watches the guests? Doesn't that freak them out?
        Well, we have to make sure they don't run away and finish their vegetables.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Gee, IF I really believed all the stuff in movies actually existed then I'd get myself my very own transporter from Star Trek, an X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars, a flying car from The Jetsons & the Tardis from Dr Who...lol.

Comment

:: blinks, goes to check if Hellboy is outside::

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
              Gee, IF I really believed all the stuff in movies actually existed then I'd get myself my very own transporter from Star Trek, an X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars, a flying car from The Jetsons & the Tardis from Dr Who...lol.
              If you had the Tardis would you need that other stuff?

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                If you had the Tardis would you need that other stuff?
                Two words : Cool Factor.

Or maybe Geek Factor.
                "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                  Me: I'm afraid I don't have anything that will work for you. Your iPod doesn't have Bluetooth; we can't add Bluetooth to it; and the only other wireless headphones I have are too big for what you're looking for.
                  Caller: You really don't have anything?
                  Me: No. I don't know if such a thing exists.

They're out there.
                  Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
                    They're out there.
                    Surprises like that are the reason why "I do not know if it exists, and if it does we do not sell it." became my favorite phrase in big box electronic retail.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                      I see your X-Wing, and raise you a Death Star.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                        Surprises like that are the reason why "I do not know if it exists, and if it does we do not sell it." became my favorite phrase in big box electronic retail.
                        And I use that phrase very often. The problem is that so many of my customers misinterpret that to mean, "I'm sure it doesn't exist, and you're an idiot for asking for it." The entertaining ones will come back to me later with printouts from websites like what EQ and KaeZoo found and proudly shove it in my face, saying, "Ha! It does exist! I found it! You're the idiot!" I like those people because I can turn it right around by showing their printout to my co-workers, who are always excited to see and learn about new technology, and the sales manager, who is always looking for some new product to demand from corporate so he can boost his revenue numbers. It really takes the wind out of an SC's sails when we're happy to be "proven wrong" like that.
                        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                        - IPF

Comment

I can sort of understand the issue with the Wii. It's actually probably the sensor bar that's having an issue if he's truly charged the controllers. It can be very confusing with the way systems save and download games as well, and I certainly know I'd prefer just new controllers or a sensor to replacing my entire system and risking losing data.
                          WoW addict: Rogue, Paladin, Hunter, Priest!

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                            I see your X-Wing, and raise you a Death Star.
                            But the parking is a bitch.
                            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                              But the parking is a bitch.
                              Worse than parking the damn gull wing doors on a DeLorean?

Comment

Working...
                              X