This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tip? just kidding!

A man was interested in purchasing several furniture items for his business but all he really wanted to know was the total cost of everything, “after you throw in a few chairs and your tip, because we’re such good customers.” Good my arse. He had placed ONE delivery order in the past year, and I recognize ‘good’ ie regular customers of ours. He wasn’t one of them. So I simply said, “I'm not allowed to accept tips or give you free merchandise... I could get fired for that.” His face sort of fell and he replied, “OK, we wouldn’t want that to happen!” Tipping in my job is not customary so I always get weirded out when it’s offered to me.

Um? A) You haven’t paid for your merchandise; why should I believe you’re going to give ME any money?! B) I honestly would rather you have spent supposed tip to BUY something and help out my department’s numbers, so I get and from management. C) There’s likely some ethical/corporate rule against employees accepting tips.

The order estimate came to around $3000 and the delivery fee? A whopping $19.99 !! I even pointed this out to the man, showing him he got a GREAT deal on delivery. After like half an hour T came back from his lunch and offered to take over for me.

Actually I don’t even think the guy went through with the order because I would have come across paperwork on it aside from what I generated, such as a validated order form. And I probably would have heard about it from T. My coworkers like sharing stories of large sales
    I think it would have been rude if I had asked the man how much he was intending to give in a tip but I would have loved to know... He and the three women he was shopping with looked quite well to do lol

Is it just me, because everytime I hear someone say "Were good customers!" it usually comes from some jerk.

I hate people that try to get me to slip them free stuff/good deals for a tip. I just don't think that $10 is worth losing my job for. Then they get all pissy when you refuse their offer.

Comment

I suspect the tip was either

a) a bribe to get some freebies ($10 tip for you, $100 in chairs for him...what a deal )

or

b) was phony baloney and was his way of encouraging you to throw in the free chairs.

Assclown.
      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

I take "good customer" to mean "I have lots of money I could spend here, but unless you kiss my butt I'm going to take it all to your competitor."
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I let my good customers know they are good customers. If I haven't told you something along the lines of "Oh, we love having you come by!" then maybe you either haven't made a big impression on me, or I hate your guts.

Comment

Don't you get a commission on your sales anyway? I mean, if he really wanted to give you a tip, he should have spent more money (or at least sent a beaming compliment to your [district] manager).

Incidentally, retail doesn't like tipping because then you get into the hairy issue of associates who treat tipping customers better than non-tippers. The exception being when tips are part of the paycheck and socially accepted as such (e.g., waitstaff).
            "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
            -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Years ago, I heard someone say that those who are getting a lot of sex don't need to talk about it, and those who talk about it aren't getting that much. It is an inverse ratio formula, basically, and I have found that to be true in many ways in life.

And that applies to "good customers" as well. 99%* of the time, good customers don't feel the need to tell you that they are good customers. Those who yak the most about being good customers almost invariably aren't.

(*There are exceptions when actual good customers get the shaft and are trying to get things righted, but this is rare.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth pbmods View Post
                Don't you get a commission on your sales anyway? <snip> ... (or at least sent a beaming compliment to your [district] manager).
                Commission is 5% on 'product protection plans' aka those damned extended warranties. I typically don't get a chance to try to sell them because I'm a stocker and I cover the furniture department just for breaks and lunches, and cashier occasionally.

Any sort of compliment letter that makes it to my DM results in a form letter sent back to the employee to the effect of "thank you for your great customer service skills." I guess it's the "thought" that counts, right?

Comment

Working...
                X