This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your license is expired

Well, I work as a cashier at Publix in north Florida and it's in a so0called "rich" neighborhood. Well, yesterday was kind of busy b/c it was the end of the month and people spending $300 dollars on big orders. Well, everyone who works as a cashier at Publix knows you have to run the check the printer face up to read the MICR and that if it(the MICR) doesn't recgonize it it will ask for ID. Well this woman had a $188.45 order and she says before I run the check through b/c she knows this "It'll probably ask for my ID b/c this is a new account." Okay cool so the computer tells me to ID REQUIRED. SO I ask her for it and it shows her license expired a month ago. I say to her "Ma'am I can't take your license b/c it's invalid b/c it expired a month ago. ? She then tells me how she re-newed online, a a week ago and it takws the 3 weeks to get it. Okay this is logical when you renew you license a month early. She keeps saying how it's valid b/c she has the paper that says she renewed her license at home, this means sh*t b/c it's at home. So I tell her I'll go ask the office staff who will back me up. I mouth to them "Bitch" and tell them the sitch and they say "It's invalid." I tell the SC that the office said the same thing. The SC thinks I'm and calls them over and they all tell her the same thing. If your license is cracker, in pieces, broken, your name or pic is barely visible it's onvalid. Then the SC wants a manager so I store her order of course the wench gets her groceries at customer service much to my chagrin,but not before the office staff tells her if she get pulled over by the cops her "paper at home" story isn't going to fly and she'll get a ticket. I honestly hope that biatch ges a ticket b/c all the other customers thought she was nuts.
    Last edited by Fairysprinkles; 10-01-2006, 09:53 AM.

Ugh, if only everyone was born with a sense of shame. I'll let people get by with stuff like that up to a point, but their attitude had better be good. I had some guy give me an attitude about writing his license number on his check because it was also his SS number. I told him he should have taken North Dakota's offer to decline the use of his SS number like I did when I moved up there. I ended up having to take his check with little more than his license plate number and hoping for the best. I resisted the urge to call him in as a drive-off.

Now that I'm back in Portland, Oregon, I've noticed that no one seems to take personal checks anymore, which is fine by me really. I'm happy shopping by debit card or cash anyway. Checks are a hassle since you have to fill them out while you're waiting in line... well, I'd like it if my former customers did that. Heh heh.
    "They say that ignorance is bliss. But making fun of ignorant people is also pretty blissful." --Steve of collegehumor.com

Comment

Quoth Mad-Bassist View Post
      Checks are a hassle since you have to fill them out while you're waiting in line... well, I'd like it if my former customers did that. Heh heh.
      Funny you mention that. How many times do you see customers sitting in line, even sometimes with their wallets out, but they don't go in for the cash until you tell them the total? I mean, if you're just gonna give me a twenty anyway, why not have it ready? Is someone going to come up to you in line and steal it??

OT rant over. Thank you for your consideration.
      "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
      -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

I one time had a lady who was paying by check refuse to show me her licence because she didn't want me to see how old she was (like i give a sh**) I explained to her that it was for her own safety that I check ID so she pulled out her licence put her finger over the DOB and showed it to me. I then explained to her that our registers made us enter the lic. number and DOB in order to process a check over $50 (which hers was), I also told her that she could pay with a debit card since I didn't need to enter her personal info to process that. The way she reacted you would think I asked her for a kidney or something. How hard is it to understand that without your licence info I cannot process your check?
        Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Comment

Quoth Mad-Bassist View Post
          Now that I'm back in Portland, Oregon, I've noticed that no one seems to take personal checks anymore, which is fine by me really. I'm happy shopping by debit card or cash anyway. Checks are a hassle since you have to fill them out while you're waiting in line... well, I'd like it if my former customers did that. Heh heh.
          People behind me are a lot better off if I use a debit card or cash, simply because with my handwriting, you have a choice between "fast enough to not slow down people behind me excessively" or "can at least determine what alphabet was being used to write this, even if you can't *read* it".

My handwriting is so bad that I've gone back to something *I* wrote and had trouble reading it.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

It bothers me, however, when a clerk refuses to accept an expired identification card as proof of my age, as if it is in all possibilty that I have passed back underneath the legal age limit since the expiration of my I.D. card. It makes sense with checks, though.
            You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
              It bothers me, however, when a clerk refuses to accept an expired identification card as proof of my age, as if it is in all possibilty that I have passed back underneath the legal age limit since the expiration of my I.D. card. It makes sense with checks, though.
              Actually, it is illegal for us to take an expired ID for proof of age purchases, such as cigarettes and alcohol.

One possible reason behind that particular facet of the law is that many underage people, rather than getting fake ID's, use someone else's ID. Oftentimes, that other ID is an expired one that the other person no longer needs, so they give it to their younger friend.

Of course, the main reason is probably that once an ID is expired, it is no longer valid. For anything.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

SC's DO NOT GET IT! We are asking for ID and that always means current, valid, state or federal issued and no ID = no cash. I understand if one has had a DUI and has their expire date snipped but there is this thing called a state ID card and they are not so hard to get. And no amount of crying and moaning will make the invalid ID valid (and spare me the "I come here all the time" line: I know the regulars by sight).

Comment

Quoth csdrone View Post
                  (and spare me the "I come here all the time" line: I know the regulars by sight).
                  At one of my jobs, we give regulars discounted prices on many drinks. Now, many places in this tourist town give local prices, but we don't give locals special prices, we give regulars special prices. There's a difference. Of course, many people still try to get the special prices by claiming to be "locals." Great example:

SC=cheap bastard
                  BT=wise bartender (not me), who has worked at said bar for a long time and is well known to most if not all of the regulars.

SC: "I need blah blah blah and blah, and I'm a local."
                  BT: "We don't give local prices. We give regulars special prices."
                  SC: "I'm a regular, I come here all the time. I've been coming here for years."
                  BT: "Really? What's my name?"
                  SC: "Um...er....uh..."
                  BT: "That'll be [regular price] for your drinks, please."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    One possible reason behind that particular facet of the law is that many underage people, rather than getting fake ID's, use someone else's ID. Oftentimes, that other ID is an expired one that the other person no longer needs, so they give it to their younger friend.
                    Interesting... I never looked at it that way. Just another facet of the fact that most fake IDs are real, but belong to someone else. While I was away from Oregon for several years, they changed the expiration of a new license from four to eight years, so I'm good until 2012.

Quoth Jester View Post
                    BT: "That'll be [regular price] for your drinks, please."
                    Bwahahahahahahaaa!
                    "They say that ignorance is bliss. But making fun of ignorant people is also pretty blissful." --Steve of collegehumor.com

Comment

I haven't gotten a new drivers license in a very long time. I got soo many stickers on the back of my license that I went through 3 address changes.

My standard quote when someone ask for my ID is "correct information is on the back"
                      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth pbmods View Post
                        Funny you mention that. How many times do you see customers sitting in line, even sometimes with their wallets out, but they don't go in for the cash until you tell them the total? I mean, if you're just gonna give me a twenty anyway, why not have it ready? Is someone going to come up to you in line and steal it??

OT rant over. Thank you for your consideration.
                        For the same reason as you make sure you shut the till after each transaction. It's too easy for someone to run by and grab what's in our hand.

Sorry for the OT.

Comment

The sad thing is at my job if someone is a "high roller" rich jerk you don't need to ask for ID and should know them on sight. That makes me mad. AND we have to make sure that we kiss extra a$$ to these people. GRR.

Comment

Working...
                          X