Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I handle this to avoid being an SC?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I handle this to avoid being an SC?

I do nearly all my transactions with my debit card. I rarely carry cash. Lately I've been forced to keep cash on hand because my card is ancient. I'm a girl and I can't stand carrying around a purse, so I keep my driver's license, debit card, and other important cards in my pocket. I know I should find a slimline wallet to carry them in, but I hadn't thought about it till recently. The cards rub against each other, and thus are now very weird about being swiped. This wouldn't be a problem if a few places around here are now no longer allowed to do manual entry on debit/credit cards.

Before I got married, I was on a joint account with my dad. He would pay my bills for me out of our joint account while I was out on the road. Now I'm driving but home every day and can take care of my own bills, so he turned over his card to me. I got the PIN from him and have been starting to use it, keeping that card somewhere where it won't get messed up. I haven't had any problems so far, but I've only been doing this a week. I'll use it as debit if possible since I have the PIN, but some places only run it as credit, and this is my concern.

I hand the card over to the cashier and tell them up front, "This is my dad's card but we're on the same account. Mine is messed up." I have my card with me ready to show (the cards look identical except for the number and name), and my checkbook with both names on it, and of course my driver's license. I keep it ready, but no one so far has been very concerned about investigating to make sure I truly am authorized on the account. However, I know one of these days someone is going to want me to prove my identity and connection to the name on the card, and I was just curious how best to handle it when the time arises. Should I keep doing what I'm doing, and be prepared to prove myself, or should I just say, "Okay, here's my ratty old card, good luck getting it to scan, you should be prepared for a manual entry if you can do so." I get the feeling that I raise more suspicion warning them in advance about my card than by just handing over a card with a male name on it. I don't want to appear suspicious, but I don't want to make things too difficult for the cashier, thus making myself to be an SC.

I guess it depends what store you're shopping in? I work for a corporate, so while we're not supposed to take cards from people who it doesn't belong to, if its a bank card, I will make an exception if the a) last name is the same and b) if I can write down your DL/ID # just in case it comes back to bite me in the ass. (I don''t like breaking rules, but I can understand the situation that you're in.) Some stores may not even make that exception. However, I've noticed in some stores myself they won't even check.

Hell, I was in a store where I handed my ID with my card and they just handed my ID back and said "I don't need that." It's not exactly sucky with what you're doing, but I guess only if you would cause a scene if they wouldn't accept it. That's just my 2 cents though. But, ya know, I'm sure you understand that because the name is different, that the place you're using it at is only trying to protect themselves.

Otherwise, I guess your next option would just to apply for a new copy of your card so it does work. I've really never heard of any place though that can't input it manually so maybe I'm just as much in the dark.

Comment

also, you can contact your bank and ask for a new card. the only downside is that it will mean your card stops working until the new card shows up. and of course the bank will have to tell you if there's any fee for that, but you can always opt to say, "no i'll forgo the new card then, thanks".

Comment

Why not just call the bank and ask them to send u a new card? It only takes a couple of days to get one and they don't normally charge for them. I wear them out all the time and usually order two at a time so I have a "backup" waiting for me to ruin the primary.

Personally I wouldn't accept a card that didn't have your name on it no matter what the story. My motto is never trust anyome but myself and my momma and sometimes i wonder about her.

Steve B.

Comment

D'oh, forgot to mention something that you guys have already been asking me...

I need to get a new card. But it's not going to be as easy as asking for a new one. I need to legally change my name and make sure I can take my dad off the account and put my husband on it without losing my account number and farking up my direct deposit. I'm just looking for the easiest way to handle things until we can get our schedules and finances straightened out so I can afford to change my SS card and driver's license to my married name (CDL is a bit more expensive to renew/replace than a standard license). I guess I'm lucky that most places I go the people know me already and don't give me grief, and the other places I can usually use my PIN.

Comment

Hmm. Well, personally, I would say to visit your bank first (I'd suggest doing so with dad, husband, or both). Explain the situation to them and see if they have any advice on what your first step should be. They'll be the most equipped to expedite the situation.

With the direct deposit, assuming you get new checks right away if you get a new account, you should be able to change the direct deposit rather quickly just by bringing in the new account number.

Now, bear in mind that I'm not a banker, I'm just good friends with the folks at my bank next door so take the latter advice with a grain of salt...but definitely stop by the bank and see what they suggest.
            Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
            --Unknown

Comment

we added me to Dh's savings account with no problem, and when we removed his mother it was also not a problem.

I never changed my name. Can't help you there.

Comment

Just get a new card. It doesn't change your account so it won't screw anything up.

At my store, we mostly glance at the card. If it's a sterotpyically male/female name, like John or Mary and the person of the card is a different gender, then yeah, we ask. People can't use a credit card that is not in their name. Alot of shared cards I've seen have both names on the cards.
                Military Spouse Support.
                http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Otherwise, I guess your next option would just to apply for a new copy of your card so it does work. I've really never heard of any place though that can't input it manually so maybe I'm just as much in the dark.
                  That's curious - here in Canada it's impossible to input a debit card number manually. Some stores will input credit card numbers manually though.
                  Last edited by Mango; 09-09-2008, 05:33 AM. Reason: where'd that extra space come from??

Comment

Here in the States debit cards often can be used as credit cards interchangeably. My debit card has the Visa logo.

I don't foresee having any problems no matter what I do, mainly because 90%+ of cashiers aren't as conscentious about who's using the card vs. what name is on the card as you guys are. And even if I ran into problems I wouldn't raise a fuss. I'd try to prove my identity as mentioned above (dad's card, my checks with both names, my card, my ID), and then just let them fight with my card, and politely say, "Thank you for your time," and leave if they couldn't use it. I know it's my fault the card is a mess, and I'm the one being a procrastinator, so I'm certainly not going to jump down anyone's throat because of my problem card. I guess that's really all I can do till I get my name change and account settled.

(FYI: My bank charges each time they replace a card. So that would be why I wouldn't want to replace it for the time being, then replace it yet again with the name change whenever I get around to it.)

Comment

That's one big advantage of the Chip-&-Pin system over here. It doesn't matter what condition the stripe is in, as long as the chip works, and the signature also doesn't matter any more. There are still shops that don't have the C&P machines, so they still use the stripe and signature, but even the ATMs normally use the chip.

Comment

Either you or your Dad need to contact your bank to get a replacement card. Most banks do not have an issue with replacing worn out debit cards.
                        Tamezin

Comment

Just my first impression from having read the OP and no replies yet....

Go to the bank and get yourself a new card, and carry it in a card protector (the bank will give you one if you ask). Using your father's card is not only against most store policies, it's against your cardholder agreement with the bank (this is universal in Canada and the US). The bank could actually choose close your account if they found out you were doing this. It's not the store's fault you don't have a working card. You know what the solution is, so go out and buy yourself a wallet, and you won't cause yourself any more problems

If the stores challenge you on your dad's card and can't run your damaged card, you brought it on yourself.
                          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

People keep repeating the same issues I've already answered. I am going to get a new card. I have to change my name first and that's not going to be till at least next week. I have a lot to take care of before I can get the new card because I am not paying my bank twice for a new card within the space of a couple of weeks. I'm just trying to keep myself from, you know, starving to death in the meantime due to the situation. I haven't had any problems yet and was just trying to find the least sucky solution till I can get a replacement. I'm almost sorry I brought it up now.

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
                              That's curious - here in Canada it's impossible to input a debit card number manually. Some stores will input credit card numbers manually though.
                              I can understand that too though. Some places are different. I get customers, though, that because we CAN input numbers manually, they think we can just have them rattle off a number without a card which is a big no-no of course.

As to the OP, it sucks to be the situation you're in, and with asking the advice, there's really nothing you can do to not be 'that customer' unless you get your own card and such. I know you don't want to pay the extra money when it's going to get changed anyways, but you have to look at it from both sides. I don't think there's really any way around it. If you understand that some stores may not let you use the card, then I don't know any other option for you really.

Comment

Working...
                              X