This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Sexist, Batman!

I'm not even a remotely feministic type of girl and even this annoyed the snot out of me.

I had entered a design contest, and was doing darn well in it, if I do say so myself. Feedback on my entry was incredibly positive, up until one moment. I was delayed on a revision due to our car's brakes going out, and my husband commissioning me to help him change the caliper. (Did I spell that right?...) I mentioned this to the contest owner and his response made me instantly with Earth was a PvP server.

"Oh, yeah, that has to be devastating to your husband. Since you're a woman, I guess the similar situation would be like your washing machine going out."

You did NOT.

I then informed him we actually don't have a washing machine...since I suggested to my husband that we save the grand we'd drop on that, and upgrade our PCs instead. (We have a laundromat practically next door, and it costs us about $8 to do ALL of our laundry.)

His response? "A laundromat near you? You must think you're the luckiest woman...I know how women LOVE to do laundry like that."

WTFHkjhdjsahjkfdaghjkBASTIGE.

I decided to ignore it, but today he decides to mention in a passive aggressive manner, that unfortunately there is no way I'll win the contest, he likes other people's work better. Two guys, in fact.

I mean, dang. I'm not a feminist at all. Mind you, I like being treated nicely, and I prefer to have an equal shot at opportunities. But at times like this I just want to scream "You are a flat out PIG, you know that?"

No offense intended in the least bit, but I expected since this guy was an Aussie he'd be nicer than some others I've dealt with recently.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Sound like my tech drawing instructor from high school... "Pretty good ... for a girl."

If you mention it, you will absolutely definitely not ever win. Sucks.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
      I'm not a feminist at all. Mind you, I like being treated nicely, and I prefer to have an equal shot at opportunities.
      I hate to break it to you, but if you "prefer to have an equal shot at opportunities", then you pretty much ought to call yourself a feminist. I don't understand your logic here.

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post
        I hate to break it to you, but if you "prefer to have an equal shot at opportunities", then you pretty much ought to call yourself a feminist. I don't understand your logic here.
        I'm confused. Wanting equal opportunity is sexist? Did you really mean that? Or did you mean something else and just not express it clearly?

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
          I'm confused. Wanting equal opportunity is sexist? Did you really mean that? Or did you mean something else and just not express it clearly?
          Fem·i·nism

1. The doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.

Wanting equal opportunity is the very definition of the word feminism.

I'm not sure where you got sexist from?

<confused as well now>

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
            Music Mo-Gal isn't saying that wanting equal opportunity is sexist only that if Seraph believes that women should have it then she is a feminist. I think Seraph is confusing feminism with the femi-nazi in her post. A feminist is what Seraph described when saying she wants equal treatment. A femi-nazi is a woman who usually wants more than her fair share i.e. wanting a better shot then what men have and have a tendency to be the type who are men-bashers.

What the guy said was totally out of line and made him out to be a complete asshole.
            Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
              I'm not even a remotely feministic type of girl

I mean, dang. I'm not a feminist at all. Mind you, I like being treated nicely, and I prefer to have an equal shot at opportunities. But at times like this I just want to scream "You are a flat out PIG, you know that?"

Preach it ... Long ago in a galaxy .... I mean back when I was a machinist, I was the shop manager for my location, and a number of other shops for the company I worked for. Let me say, I loved working as a machinist despite being the only female in a highly testicle-ridden profession. Saddest day of my lofe was to have developed sensitivities to a number of chemicals and need to leave my job for <shudder> girly office jobs.

I got the best revenge after a while. I was ordering for 26 machine shops .. that is a hell of a large commission for whatever saleshuman was trying to pitch me on some supply

The fastest way to absolutely lose a sale was to walk in and address me as cutie, honey, sugar, sweetie, girlie, or any number of cutesy names, and ask to see the manager 'if he is around'.

I would calmly point at the nameplate on my office and tell them that they can now leave, and if their company would like to make a sale, some other salesman can visit because he lost the chance permanently.

I mean, to get to me, they had to pass a door that said Marilyn T....., manager

How dumb is that ... I dont know any man named Marilyn [or any boys named Sue]
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

To the OP:

The man commenting is making gender based assumption comments. He could either be Snarky, or he still believes this. It could also be his own experiences (aka his wife only does laundry). Still, I think it's sexist / dumb.

Next time he says something like, "Wow, you changed the brakes on a car? I thought that was a man job."

You say "No, I wanted to learn, because I like mechanical things." Or "No, independence is important to me" Or "Nope, women do these things too."

And just smile and keep working. If he goes on and on and on, let him dig his hole.

Cutenoob
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  I got the best revenge after a while. I was ordering for 26 machine shops .. that is a hell of a large commission for whatever saleshuman was trying to pitch me on some supply

The fastest way to absolutely lose a sale was to walk in and address me as cutie, honey, sugar, sweetie, girlie, or any number of cutesy names, and ask to see the manager 'if he is around'.

I would calmly point at the nameplate on my office and tell them that they can now leave, and if their company would like to make a sale, some other salesman can visit because he lost the chance permanently.

I mean, to get to me, they had to pass a door that said Marilyn T....., manager

How dumb is that ... I dont know any man named Marilyn [or any boys named Sue]

Alright! Way to show 'em!
                  Interesting Fodder: http://interestingfodder.typepad.com

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                    Wanting equal opportunity is the very definition of the word feminism.
                    Ah, you are correct. I misread. All too often, feminists and femi-nazis get confused. I agree with the equal rights. Disagree with the second.

My apologies.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                      my husband commissioning me to help him change the caliper. (Did I spell that right?...)
                      Yup.

Quoth Seraph View Post
                      I then informed him we actually don't have a washing machine...since I suggested to my husband that we save the grand we'd drop on that, and upgrade our PCs instead. (We have a laundromat practically next door, and it costs us about $8 to do ALL of our laundry.)
                      One grand for a washing machine? I got one for around $300. Admittedly, it's the low end, but it works fine. I figure that it pays for itself every year.

Comment

Quoth RedRoseSpiral View Post
                        Music Mo-Gal isn't saying that wanting equal opportunity is sexist only that if Seraph believes that women should have it then she is a feminist. I think Seraph is confusing feminism with the femi-nazi in her post. A feminist is what Seraph described when saying she wants equal treatment. A femi-nazi is a woman who usually wants more than her fair share i.e. wanting a better shot then what men have and have a tendency to be the type who are men-bashers.

What the guy said was totally out of line and made him out to be a complete asshole.
                        Yes yes, femi-nazi. Sorry for the confusion. I used to be part of this "women's organization" and I quickly left because it seemed like they got this high off bashing men and such. It scared me almost, because when my husband would watch the baby so I could attend the meetings, they'd be all "Oh well its about darn TIME he learned how hard we have it!" or "He's never supportive of you!" even though he was doing the solo babysitting and I'd protest them.

I'm more of a...I don't know...I like equal rights, but I also wish chivalry hadn't been kicked in the nuts. But I'm also one of the most ungirly girls I know. I've never EVER enjoyed shopping for shoes (would rather hit up a Gamestop/Banres and Noble) or worn makeup once in my life. So his comment on my "love of laundry" just totally rankled me.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                          One grand for a washing machine? I got one for around $300. Admittedly, it's the low end, but it works fine. I figure that it pays for itself every year.
                          We're in a rather limited area, so its either drive a very long ways to pick up an affordable one, or get one in town that'll run us a pretty penny.

Plus, we're planning on moving soon, so it'd probably be a bad idea to buy a big heavy appliance before we pick out a home.

Comment

My husband is the one that does laundry in our house. Partly because I keep forgetting until I don't have any clean clothes left and partly because he has a system that works very well for the limited space we have and I don't want to throw a wrench into that system.

The only times I do laundry is when I have something that has special washing instructions. Like my lace shirts, velvet pants, my do-bak or my costumes, which all need to be washed in cold water or on the gentle cycle and air dried.
                            A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

I just want to say here that I hate, I absolutely DESPISE, the term that has been bandied about so casually here. Not "feminist", but the other term. It is horrendous to compare a woman with anger-management/control issues to a group of people responsible for the slaughter of millions. If I had my way, the term that has been used so lightly here would not exist.

Comment

Working...
                              X