This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16th Pet Peeve

I just hate it when I get finished checking out a customer and there is nothing of theirs left up on the belt and the next person comes up and has to put the divider up! That really makes me mad! I have started to just let the divider sit there with their groceries without advancing the belt until the customer I am helping has paid and has proceeded to the bag wall.

Even worse is when customers don't use the divider provided. I know, I know, not every cashier likes using them. But I enjoy having a vague idea when I should turn off my autopilot and stop scanning. And don't get all huffy with me when I had no idea those tomatoes weren't yours. ~twitch~
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I hate it when people don't use the dividers >_O

Or the people who hold on to their groceries and give no indication that all the stuff I'm about to ring up isn't theirs. The items are not mutated and infected when they touch the belt. Put them down! Or at least make some effort to let me know what the deal is.

Comment

I put the divider up - even on an empty belt - if the previous customer hasn't started paying yet. It avoids confusion. I also put the divider up behind me, unless I'm the last customer before the lane closes.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          Even worse is when customers don't use the divider provided. I know, I know, not every cashier likes using them. But I enjoy having a vague idea when I should turn off my autopilot and stop scanning. And don't get all huffy with me when I had no idea those tomatoes weren't yours. ~twitch~
          QFT

don't you love when you look and see one customer's stuff, then the next customer comes up, they're friends, so they talk for a second, then there's a gap, then one or a few things, then another gap and another large order. Is this yours? yours? separate order? WTF is going on?

then there's the customers who steal dividers from other registers. each register at my store has 2 dividers, 1 register should not need more, but people keep taking one, so you get to a register and it only has 1 and you have to figure out which register has 3. or if one got stolen

EDIT: and the people who take the divider from between the 2 orders in front of them before you're completely done with the first.
          Last edited by nomorecarts; 09-10-2008, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I'm always amused by fellow customers who REFUSE to place even One Single Item on the belt until a divider is in place.

Yeah, cos it's so hard to leave a gap until one of the dividers up the front becomes free, or even just watch what's happening, place your hand and say "these are mine" if the checkout operator gets that close to those items.

Comment

I hate it when there's only one or two dividers on the register, so that they're really hard to reach from behind, and then people who have almost a beltful (O_o) of groceries - so there some space left for the next one - can't be arsed to use it. Sometimes I fantasise about whacking them on the head with the damn divider.

Comment

Our Aldi's is good about having a half-billion per line, and teh cashiers always croquets them to the end. Nice people!

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                  I'm always amused by fellow customers who REFUSE to place even One Single Item on the belt until a divider is in place.

Yeah, cos it's so hard to leave a gap until one of the dividers up the front becomes free, or even just watch what's happening, place your hand and say "these are mine" if the checkout operator gets that close to those items.
                  I know. I thought about just hiding all the dividers in my lane, I can see where a gap is. Or if I have hit total and there are no more items on the belt, there is NO REASON to put up a divider, seriously. NO items mean no divider needed (the belt is all yours, the other person is done with the belt.

Comment

I've had that happen to me many a time at the store, or at least i've seen it. Some old coot told me to "keep my things together" I wonder why? I had one, yes one thing, and she told me what to do.
                    Your neck is 7 and a half feet wide and 4 and a half feet tall. Your shoulders are also around 4 and a half feet wide. Your butt is 4 feet wide and your arms are around 3 feet long-gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Stlouisx50 View Post
                      I just hate it when I get finished checking out a customer and there is nothing of theirs left up on the belt and the next person comes up and has to put the divider up!
                      I can tell you why it happens. I have seen a large gap (over four feet) between my groceries and the person's in front of me go completely unnoticed by a cashier who was operating on autopilot and not paying attention to what was on the belt. The person in front had maybe two or three items left on the belt when I started to put mine on. When I saw the cashier start to scan my items in with those of the person in front of me, I spoke up and told her they were mine. She rolled her eyes at me and told me that that was what the dividers were for. Then she dropped a divider in front of my items with a very dramatic flourish.

Ever since then, I have used those dividers no matter how inane it appears.
                      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                        I can tell you why it happens. I have seen a large gap (over four feet) between my groceries and the person's in front of me go completely unnoticed by a cashier who was operating on autopilot and not paying attention to what was on the belt. The person in front had maybe two or three items left on the belt when I started to put mine on. When I saw the cashier start to scan my items in with those of the person in front of me, I spoke up and told her they were mine. She rolled her eyes at me and told me that that was what the dividers were for. Then she dropped a divider in front of my items with a very dramatic flourish.

Ever since then, I have used those dividers no matter how inane it appears.

Well here's a tip, next time look to see if there is anything left in the persons cart then put the items up.

Comment

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
                          Our Aldi's is good about having a half-billion per line, and teh cashiers always croquets them to the end. Nice people!
                          Aldi = love. Our grocery budget goes so much further there than WallyWorld.

I tend to use the dividers if there is someone in front of me. If I'm coming up to an empty line, there's no reason for one. But most times I use the Self-Check-Out as the lines tend to be shorter.
                          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Stlouisx50 View Post
                            Well here's a tip, next time look to see if there is anything left in the persons cart then put the items up.
                            As I read it, all the other persons thing were already up, the problem was that the cashier couldn't figure out that: two people in line + four foot gap = two separate orders.
                            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

i'm guilty of putting a divider when the customer ahead just finished, its not on purpose, its really just a habit.

Comment

Working...
                              X