Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our cards are s**t and so is our music?

My work as you may, or may not know, is a party store. But we also have the pleasure of selling cards at either .49,.99 or $1.99, the old people love us, atleast, I thought they did. Well we used to only sell the .49 cent cards but we recently switched to a new distributor so we got nicer cards and two new price points to sell at, you would think that is a good thing and you would be wrong.

Now my co-worker and friend K was working this fine evening, straightening up the cards when a lady stops her.

K: Hey, can I help you with anything?
    Old lady: your cards are S**T!!!!
    K: ah....um...I...agree, they just aren't as good as they used to be...
    Old lady: Good I'm glad you agree *wanders off*

Not a SC so much as a WTF but then a couple days later K is a cashier and a lady walks up looking really, REALLY mad.

K: Hey, did you find everything you needed for today?
    Old Lady #2:No *Slams a card down* I WANTED five cards, but your music is so HORRIBLE I just couldn't bear to be in here any longer.
    K: Well, I'm really sorry about that ma'am, but corporate gives us the CD to play at our stores, we can't do anything.
    Old Lady #2: Well then give me a piece of paper I'm going to write them a letter because this music is S**T!.
    K: *hands her paper*

Our music is like, happy party music. It's got some oldies and some new songs too. I honestly didn't think it was that bad but I guess none of the old people like it because one of our older workers turns it down in the morning for them.

I just thought these were share worthy.

Uh.... much??
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

If people start ranting at me that the airline I work for is rubbish I just go 'ok' and smile in a semi polite way and walk off. There aren't many airlines left with free meals and alcoholic drinks in coach class!

I never get why SC's think bitching to a front line worker will change anything.
      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

I wasn't supposed to agree (verbally, anyway) with callers when they badmouth red checkmark telco or its products.

I wasn't even supposed to tell them "well, antivirus x might be better than ours... I've never seen a test done on ours." (referring to our branded security suite, produced by a company named, get this: Zero Knowledge. )

As much as I wanted to.

Eventually I just took to telling them, "well if you want a security suite you can get one free if you add on the free MSN or Yahoo package, just to go this url..." rather than suggesting our (4.95/mo) crap.
        Last edited by otakuneko; 09-13-2008, 08:37 PM.
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I am mystified when people complain about the music we play. Some of it has been less than stellar but is it so hard to block it out? I do it for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week.

When people complain I say, "Oh really? That's too bad. I rather like it." Most of them wander off embarrassed after that.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

well i can understand if it's too loud... i remember trying to buy jeans in the revamped teen section of a local store and t he music was loud and annoying. when mom complained about the volume she was told "no" - can't remember if they couldn't or wouldn't change the volume.

so we left. ... not surprisingly... they ended up changing the format and turning the volume down within a couple of months

Comment

Well, our music isn't loud at all. When I'm on register I can barely hear it, so I don't think that that was the problem.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                I am mystified when people complain about the music we play. is it so hard to block it out? I do it for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week.

When people complain I say, "Oh really? That's too bad. I rather like it."
                My line was often "What music is that?"

Typical SCishness. They complain about music that they only have to listen to until they leave - which is whenever they want - to someone standing under the speaker for eight hours a day.

Comment

I am mystified when people complain about the music we play. Some of it has been less than stellar but is it so hard to block it out? I do it for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I donno. There are still songs I hate because I had to listen to them 12 hours a day, 3 days a week at the Great Mot's Fort Worth plant. To this day I still recognize them instantly and they elicit a reaction in me. And that was 8 years ago!
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I can understand it, myself. If a store is playing nothing but rap or hiphop, I can't even go in. (I had bad experiences with those forms of so called "music." I had a neighbor once who would turn on a rap station, crank the volume to full, then leave for the day -- just because she knew it would bother me no end. And then she had the nerve to call the police on me the one time I turned up Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture!) To this day, I can't stand to hear anything that falls into that category of noise. (I can't even think of them as music!) If a store thinks that playing rap is appealing to their clientele, then I assume they don't want my business and I go elsewhere. BUT -- I don't tell them their choice is sh*t, I don't tell them to change it, I don't tell them they shouldn't play it. I just don't have to listen to it, and I exercise that option freely.
                    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I want to post warning here that the following post contains racist sentiment.

I worked for a wireless provider who offers access to a music library filled with tons of popular music songs. Rap is popular these days.

So one time I had a woman on the phone (who sounded very white trash) say she hated our media service because of "all the damned N***** " I assume she was referring to the rap and hip hop. I just ignored the comment and continued the convo, but man what a bigot.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Reading this took me back to my second summer job, and the dreaded music loops. I now have 'Margaritaville' stuck in my head. Thanks.

I've actually asked a place to turn the music down, but it was a restaurant and I couldn't hear the person across from me after a very obvious change in the music's volume. I talk quietly as it is, I didn't really want to have to shout over dinner.
                        "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

We used to have children's music playing constantly. That got old really quick.

Fortunately, the company that provided our music didn't renew their contract. Now we hear a recording of one of our managers every five minutes, urging people to sign up for our store credit card. We tease him about it all the time.

Comment

apparently we used to have music but the store directors got fed up of it and changed it.

I am so glad I don't have to hanve store music. I can blank out music in a store as long as it;s not obnoxiously loud. If I don't like their selection I am not being forced to buy anything, and if I don't like their music I'm not being forced to listen. Complaining to front line staff does NOTHING in situations like this.
                            Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Last summer, I took my kids and a couple of their friends, who are rather strict, home-schooled Mormons, to the LEGO store. I gave each of them a dollar limit on what they could have and let them loose (they're all really well-behaved kids). The music in the store is new and old mixed, bouncy, fun, nothing too bubble-gum.

The cutest thing was seeing the younger friend unconsciously bopping to "Jerk It Out," by the Caesars. It's hard to describe, but obviously the beat got to him and it started with his foot tapping, then slowly spread up his body, ending with him swaying from top to toe. I wish I had thought to video it on my phone. I still have the pictures in my head.
                              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                              HR believes the first person in the door
                              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                              Document everything
                              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                              X