This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More cashier tales.

I got an express check out line today. ^_^ This being the weekend everyone is spending the money the AK government gives us. It was slow. No one wanted to buy two or three items. Though I had to chase a few people away who couldn't read the numerous EXPRESS LANE signs posted about. But let's recount the fun I did have.

Honey, Love.

This dude was creepy. After every sentence he said to me, it was followed by an endearment. I know some people talk like that naturally, but old dudes, should not to young cashiers. o_O;;

It must be the feds again.

This guy was a bit of an asshole. He was the first customer I had who refused to give me their birthday for cold medicine. Most customers laugh and make stupid 'I'm so clever' jokes about this rule. In general, I agree. All we do is ask for a birthday, not ID, nothing else, and as my SC rebel pointed out, he could give me any date. If you live in a pretty decent sized city, you can hit up every grocery store, buy three of whatever you intend to use to make your drugs, and carry on without care. Or you could just make separate transactions, go to different tellers, etc.

So yes, I understand the rule is stupid. But I can't get around it. It's not like the R-rated movie prompt, which I can bypass. If I cancel the age prompt, it cancels the transaction. And I explain this, I explain it's a federal law and I can't do anything about it. The guy behind this ass continues to explain it, since he was a probation officer back in the day, and dealt with methheads frequently. Finally the guy says he doesn't want it. Rather than just give me a miscellaneous date, past 89, he decides he doesn't want his cold medicine. Does he think he can get it elsewhere? Where federal law does not apply?

His parting comment, though is what pissed me off. I don't care if he buys meds or contracts the plague.

His credit card prompts for a manual print script. Some credit cards do this, instead of the printer automatically spitting out the 'You agree to pay this amount' signature line, it asks for paper and prints it on that. As far as I know, it's the same thing. The paper I put in starts to veer off angle, and it only prints the top part. So I put in another piece, and the signature line is printed on that. I hand him that.

SC. - What happened to the rest of it?
    Me. - My printer messed up.
    SC. - *scoffs* Must be those feds again.

Yes. It is those feds. When I staple the two signature pieces together, they will stand out from the rest of the pile of these specially printed slips. Anyone who has to sign these 'special slips' is already under federal observation. Be careful, a staple in your slip means you're three snotty comments away from being hauled off to a secret court.

Coupons by item.

This is a pet peeve more than anything. When people bring me coupons that don't work, and I go routing through their items to figure out what the deal is, and it turns out they have a completely different brand. Now, I understand confusion, I know coupons can be nitpicky and ridiculous, but when the excuse is 'Well, it was right by the item.' then all sympathy is instantly lost and the SC title is awarded.

This happens with WIC items too... Our store labels the WIC, much to the woe of cashiers like myself, and ire of customers. I've had countless customers tell me that I 'need to talk to someone, because [this item] was right above the WIC label'. The complaint on this one is more legit, cause different stores offer different stuff. But I think there's a list WIC participants have with what they can and can't buy on it. Granted the one I saw, was really no better than the miniaturized summary in my handbook...

I can suspe-... The story of multiple dual errors.

This woman forgot her wallet in her car. (This is why my wallet fits in my pocket). I'm in the middle of telling her I can suspend her transaction when she just storms off. I figure she's in a hurry and doesn't have time to buy groceries. Which is odd, because she did have a lot of dinner type food, and it probably took awhile to pick out. But, with her reaction, I assume she's leaving. So I void off everything. About 40$ worth of stuff. And move on to the next transaction. About twenty minutes later, while I'm fretting about using the overhead page (I'm new, and I hate talking on the intercom. This store has a slight delay on the voice over, so I never know if I'm actually talking), she comes back.

I start to ring up her stuff on the back counter where it was. She starts hauling all the stuff, even the stuff I've rung up, on to the front counter. I lost track, and honestly didn't think about what had happened, until after the fiasco. So I ring up a few items twice. She wonders why the price is more than it was the first time, and wonders this as she does her card, but still pays for everything. After her receipt pops up, I check it out and make note of the stuff I charged twice.

I try to refund it to her. Turns out there's a new policy that won't let me refund anything over five dollars. The items were ten something. v.v;; I tell her she has to go to the service desk. She leaves all huffy, and I don't really care, because there's a mixture of errors here, both on hers and my parts. Then she decides to just go get the items I rung up twice. I figure that's okay, but I notice as she comes back, that she only got one shredded cheese when I rung up two extra. I don't say anything, which probably wasn't nice, and demonstrates my lack of above and beyond. But she seemed happy in her ignorance, and who was I to ruin it. Unless of course she reads her receipt, in which I clearly marked the two extra cheeses. And if she does complain, then I can say, I clearly marked the two extra cheeses. I wonder though, how I managed to put three cheeses on her total... I can see putting two, but my only explanation for the third is that my scanner got hypersensitive, as it is wont to do at the most inappropriate times.

Jory, please return to your register. Jory, to your register.

The rest of my day was fairly normal. Except when I got paged to come back to my register a half an hour earlier than I thought. I was scheduled today from 1100 to 2000, a nine hour shift, which means an hour lunch. Whoever did the breaks schedule missed that, and they gave me half an hour. Luckily, I had already eaten and was contentedly browsing the rug section of the store when they called me back. And I got to go home at 1930, so it wasn't bad. Momentary panic attack, though, when I heard my name on the intercom.

Quoth Jory View Post
    I Be careful, a staple in your slip means you're three snotty comments away from being hauled off to a secret court.
    oh if only that were true... I'd put staples on every guests receipt
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Jory View Post
      Rather than just give me a miscellaneous date, past 89, he decides he doesn't want his cold medicine. Does he think he can get it elsewhere? Where federal law does not apply?
      well, according to teh RNC, all of y'all are right next to Russia, and maybe even you can see Russia from your house, so all kinds of international trade. Surely Putin (cause I can't spell Med-something) wouldn't make you cough up for Sudafed!

Comment

Quoth Jory View Post

Jory, please return to your register. Jory, to your register.

The rest of my day was fairly normal. Except when I got paged to come back to my register a half an hour earlier than I thought. I was scheduled today from 1100 to 2000, a nine hour shift, which means an hour lunch. Whoever did the breaks schedule missed that, and they gave me half an hour. Luckily, I had already eaten and was contentedly browsing the rug section of the store when they called me back. And I got to go home at 1930, so it wasn't bad. Momentary panic attack, though, when I heard my name on the intercom.
        I would have insisted on taking my full hour break, assuming that a 9-hour shift gets you an hour lunch because of law or store policy. Especially if that hour break is unpaid.

It isn't my problem somebody fucked up the schedule.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I agree with Irv, should have stayed on your break. Seeing as how they let you out an hour early makes me wonder whatexactly they were going for.

Comment

Lunches are always unpaid; it took me forever to remember to clock out for those ^_^;; On that note, my shift became 1100 to 1930, minus the half hour lunch, which is a regular eight hours.

If they hadn't sent me home to make up for the lost time in my hour lunch, I would have gotten half an hour over time, assuming I didn't insist on a full hour. Which I didn't, as I had already eaten and all. If I hadn't eaten and wasn't just putzing around doing nothing, I would have asked for the whole break.

Comment

most people ignore pages when they're off the clock. they'll figure it out when you tell them when you get back

Comment

Hm, somehow that last topic became a discussion on conduct and principle? I don't know about most people, but when there's a glitch in the system, revolving around me, even if it's not my fault, I want to find out what's up. Much as I'm all for the 'you fucked up, and it's not my problem' attitude, this issue wasn't the time to demonstrate it. It didn't do me harm (except surprise) and I got to go home earlier than planned. Again, if i weren't doing jack shit, but actually busy, the story would be different.

Comment

And if you didn't get to home early?

Would an hour still be taken out of your check even though you only got half an hour for lunch?

This used to happen to me when Harry would make me stay late to finish a truck. I'd be at work for 6, 7 or 8 hours when I was only scheduled for 5, and have 30 minutes deducted from my check each time for a lunch I never took. If only I had been here while that was going on so I'd be able to find out who to complain to.

Some of us get a little antsy when our pay is getting screwed with.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

good point, I have special rules because of age(corporate goes apeshit with policies for minors, but they pay me well, so I don't complain too loud), but if I didn't I'd make sure they knew I wasn't leaving early, because I take any hours I can squeeze out of management, and it'd be approved if the lines were long

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      And if you didn't get to home early?

Would an hour still be taken out of your check even though you only got half an hour for lunch?
                      Quoth Jory
                      Lunches are always unpaid; it took me forever to remember to clock out for those ^_^;; On that note, my shift became 1100 to 1930, minus the half hour lunch, which is a regular eight hours.
                      that leads me to believe that lunches are based on actual punches

Comment

Quoth nomorecarts View Post
                        that leads me to believe that lunches are based on actual punches
                        Yup, it is based on punches, with a three minute lee-way. In another situation, I came back from lunch about seven minutes sooner than I was suppose to, and they talked to me about four minutes of over time... They're kinda crazy about overtime and clocking in properly. So they'll pay me, even if they don't want to.

I always look at my paystubs, how many hours I worked, and what I expected to make, versus what I did. If they tried to jip me, I would definitely ask about it. When I was paged on the intercom, the first person I went to was my manager to find out what the deal was, not the register. (my manager is also the one who makes both the regular schedule and the break schedule. a bit of fail on his part...)

I suppose I take for granted the clock-in system. My first job was based on what we said we worked and the schedule. I thought it was kinda inefficient but it was also a small business. There was, like in Irving's case, potential for abuse.

Isn't it illegal not to take a break or lunch? I know minors have crazy strict rules, but for you Irving, could it be a matter of the boss poorly covering his ass about your breaks?

Comment

Is that the legal break requirement? I get an hour lunch and a seperate half an hour break for a 9 hour shift. I think Americans get a raw deal with employment laws, particularly minimum wage, scandalously low.

Comment

Lunches and unpaid breaks vary from state to state. There are a few states that don't legally require employers to give their employees a break, regarless of how many hours the employees work. If you want to know, check with your state's labor board or its equivallent.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I know my state's laws about it, my inquiry is for Irving's and what caused his problems. Of course, it could be that his boss was simply a jackass.

Comment

Working...
                              X