X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first rude experience

Generally I'm a very nice guy.....

Today, I had my first "unreasonably rude" response to an SC.

Pre-notes

I'm not on commission. I strongly like the company I work for, meaning that I will key into "big spender" customers more than other people. Also, we do have a small alcohol fridge, though it's not the point of the store. At all.

Situation:

Helping a couple spending roughly $700 plus. Very keyed into them, didn't notice the other customer, admittedly by my mistake.

Guy only wanted 1 thing. Couple actually suggests that I can ring up the guy before coming back to help them. (Which was extremely nice of them, silly of me not to suggest it loosely 30-45 seconds earlier).

I ask the guy (very cheerfully) "That gonna do it for ya today?"

SC: " You could have at least said "Hi" first. (In a bitchy tone)

Me: "Can I see some ID" (he was buying alcohol, and I wasn't gonna respond t bullshit like that)

(ID checks out)

I flip it back to him, in a jackass manner. (The ID did at least a 540 before landing)

He sighs, I get him his receipt, completely courteous along the way, but obviously not engaging him in conversation.

It's probably the first time I've frozen that much in front of rudeness, and it disturbed me a bit. Heck, I didn't even say anything sarcastic. Afterwards, I pondered the merits of giving him a big sarcastic, "Hello there partner!"

Wouldn't have looked good in front of my big spenders though.......

In any case..... He ruined my day. I have to obsess about this stupid crap for having a reaction I dont' think I should have had.... even knowing that if it did get back to a manager, it wouldn't mean anything.

I hate the guys who throw you for a loop just because they catch you off guard.

I obsess about those asswipes too much.

Quoth pajail View Post
    I flip it back to him, in a jackass manner. (The ID did at least a 540 before landing)

He sighs, I get him his receipt, completely courteous along the way, but obviously not engaging him in conversation.

I would say you are shading the truth slightly here. If you flipped his ID at him you were not completely courteous.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I meant after the ID

Flipping the ID was the exact rude thing I did.

Comment

It also sounds like he was entitled to be annoyed since you ignored him in favour of customers who were spending more. I don't know about everyone else, but that would put me in a pretty sucky mood, as a customer.
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth pajail View Post
          Generally I'm a very nice guy.....
          I ask the guy (very cheerfully) "That gonna do it for ya today?"
          Is this how you normally greet your customers? Would you have said this to the high ticket item customers? To be honest, you struck me as flippant and a bit rude.
          "Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings"-Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'm mostly on pajail's side with this. I don't see what's wrong with asking, "That gonna do it for ya today?" so long as the tone is friendly and polite. As for not adressing the customer who was spending less right away while dealing with people who were spending more it seems like we have little information on the situation as a whole.
            Typically we as reail workers finish with a customer, regardless of how much they're spending, before moving to the next, so what's wrong with doing that in this situation?
            I realise the OP stated s/he typically keys into "big spender" customers more, but who doesn't? It's not like we all kiss the asses of every person who comes into our work throwing money around, but typically yes, those spending more money get more attention.
            I don't like it any more than the next person, but that's capitalism for you.

As for the flipping of the ID, again we have to consider the tone of the customer when they said, "You could have at least said "Hi" first," which as we were told was a bitchy one.
            Spend $100, spend $1,000, but talk to me like an asshole and I'll treat you like one.

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
              I would say you are shading the truth slightly here.
              Quoth tollbaby View Post
              It also sounds like he was entitled to be annoyed
              Quoth walking with scissors View Post
              you struck me as flippant and a bit rude.
              Okay, I think all three of you need to read this. Remember. We are not calling each other out in threads. If you have issue with how someone handled something, either find a polite way to say that they could have handled it better (including a suggestion how) or move on to another thread.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth walking with scissors View Post
                Is this how you normally greet your customers? Would you have said this to the high ticket item customers? To be honest, you struck me as flippant and a bit rude.
                Seriously? I'd be completely fine with a cashier greeting me like that.

Comment

Working...
                X