This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Tax? Bowf??

Customer comes up to my counter with a Chicago map. Lays it down and I ring it up. Ok so far.

Customer's not happy with the price. Ok, what's up? The tag says a different price? Uh-huh. We'll it's pre-priced at $6.95, and that's how it's ringing up.

As a sidebar, he uttered this little gem: "Well, the price is the reason I picked it." Ohhhhhh well then....

Anyway, so I decide to humor the guy and take a little field trip. Sure enough, there's a mylar for the wrong item that says $5.95. But what the heck. I'll honor it. We'll still be here tomorrow.

Now, while I'm over there, I notice another fine fellow looking at the maps. Without looking back, I know exactly what he's bringing over to my counter. But first, I ring up the first customer, he's happy and he leaves.

Other customer comes up with (yup) same map. Lays it down, and I decide to be nice 'cause I know exactly what he's about to say. Price mod it for $5.95. With tax, the total is 6-something.

Ready for this?

SC: "Hey. You only charged the other guy 5-something."
    Me: "Yup. And I'm giving you the same price."
    SC: "No you're not. It says 6.## here!"
    Me: "Yeah, well, our beloved mayor needs his cut." (I always like to make a crack at Mayor Daley instead of the generic "That's 'cause of sales tax, dur!")

SC slaps the map on my counter and walks away, as if making it personal is gonna make me feel bad.

Yeah. That's right. This guy's so stuck on getting that map for a buck off that he ignores everything else... even sales tax!

I have a good laugh about it with one of the managers and get on with my life.
    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

It never fails to amaze me how many people have seemed to have missed the memo about sales tax!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      It never fails to amaze me how many people have seemed to have missed the memo about sales tax!
      They didn't miss the memo . . . they didn't accept it because it was missing one of the new cover sheets.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

That has confused so many self-checkout customers when they scan the first item and see only the running total on the screen (which auto-adds sales tax). They call me over for help, and I have to point out where it's showing their item for the right price right above where the running total is.

Had a couple of kids from New Hampshire back in my Supercenter days, visiting New York (where sales tax is 7%, or $.07 for every dollar, versus NH were sales tax is nonexistant). One grabbed a pack of gum ($.99), handed it to me, and handed me $1. I explained that he still owed me $.06, at which point he looked very confused, before one of his friends laughingly reminded him that we have sales tax in New York. Luckily he had the extra change on him.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I had exactly the opposite problem when the family took a trip to DC. We were in a museum (I think it was the Congressional Library...)
          I picked up a couple of copies of different famous documents, and went to uy themn, and got extremely confused when the lady ringing told me the price exactly as it was marked.
          I swear, I asked her, "What about tax?"
          She looked at me and saud, "What tax?"
          Admittedly, I was about ten at the time, if I remember correctly.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

In NJ, they're now charging sales tax for stuff that hadn't been taxed before like renting limos, tanning, and other such stuff that I have no interest in.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I get that alot with bottle deposits. Just today a lady comes through with a case of generic store soda we have on sale 2 cases for $8.00. Her total comes to $4.60 and she throws her debit card down, going off that I over charged her. I had to *calmly* explain to her that here in Oregon, we charge for bottle deposit on carbonated beverages. Well then she just felt stupid and appologized. She's lived in Oregon her whole life, she knows that! She always forgets, she says.

.....Next.....
              WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth batmoody View Post
                Well then she just felt stupid and appologized. She's lived in Oregon her whole life, she knows that! She always forgets, she says.
                "That's great, lady. No need to be a bitch about it, though."
                "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
                -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                  They didn't miss the memo . . . they didn't accept it because it was missing one of the new cover sheets.
                  (in best Lumbergh impression) Yeah, so they probably missed that one when they missed the TPS report. You did know we're putting cover sheets on all those reports, right? I'll make sure you get another copy of that memo.

...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
                  - Cartman

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                    I'll go ahead & make sure you get another copy of that memo. Okay? Thanks!
                    "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                    ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

with the up of sales tax last july we have fun in exchanges people having to pay the extra 1% sales tax i've had people scream at me over it.
                      "Hello, my name is Niki....Jessica."
                      "Oh we're a lot of things Niki, but we're not crazy." Jessica, Better Halves
                      Niki's Chronicles

Comment

I have an opposite but similar problem. Where I'm from, they are testing a no tax of food products policy for 2 years. We just realized that even vitamin supplements were covered under the no tax thing. So we get customers getting mad because they are not getting their tax back when they return vitamins. They don't seem to understand that we didn't charge them tax in the first place. Sometimes we even have to get out a calculator and add it all up for them. *headdesK*

Comment

I live in South Jersey and people come over from DE and whine about our sales tax. "We don't have tax in Delaware, we live in Delaware so the tax doesn't apply to us. Whya re you carging us Sales Tax, There's no sales tax in Delaware. we're from Delaware" Argh. If you are this upset about the sales tax, shop in Delaware. <prays for CSers in DE>

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot View Post
                            . If you are this upset about the sales tax, shop in Delaware.
                            Well, Crow, that would involve logic, you know.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot View Post
                              "We don't have tax in Delaware, we live in Delaware so the tax doesn't apply to us.
                              *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

Sales tax is calculated on where the sale occurrs, not where anyone involved in it lives.... LEARN THIS FACT PEOPLE! PLEASE!!!

Boy, I needed that...
                              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X