This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Express Lane Suckiness

I've managed to keep myself out of the checkstand for about the last 6 weeks. However, the last 2 days, I've been thrown right back in. Yesterday, not so bad, but by today It all came back to me. I don't miss it.<sigh> Anyways, one gem in particular.
    I was running express, 15 item limit. We were slammed, people with well over the limit were coming through. I didn't even care, I just wanted them gone. Anyways, this old lady comes through, with a cartfull of course. I start scanning her stuff quickly, as there was a line of customers behind her giving her the look.
    SC: No! No! Don't go so fast now!
    Me: (firmly) This is the EXPRESS line. I have to go fast.
    SC: (snooty) Well I guess I came through the wrong lane!

Ya think?
    What are you going to do? Complain to managment that the express lane was too fast?

I get that people don't read, or don't care about being over the limit. Whatever. But this rag pissed me off, telling me not to go so fast. It wasn't like I was trying to rush her, I was just doing my job. Its not going to be me holding up this line!
    Last edited by batmoody; 10-08-2006, 03:32 AM.
    WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

I feel for you....however customers are 99.9% illeterate and CANNOT and WILL NOT read that it is an express lane...the 1% that can read is usually your family members or friend. We get ALOT of people who attempt to come into our express lanes with a shitload of crap in thier cart. We remind them and they say..."well next time if I am in the mood to I will go to the correct lane." sometimes I feel like saying; 'BAD CUSTOMER!! BAD CUSTOMER!! NO GO IN EXPRESS LANE WITH BIG ASS ORDER! BAD!
    NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

please read &amp; comprehend sign...thank you!

people don't care...period.

when I usually work express, I don't enforce the 15 items or less unless it's extremely busy...because then I stand there doing nothing.

people see what they want to see...just not what's actually on the sign. 2 for $5 will mean anything in the general vicinity of said sign...pick up and go!
      HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

I was annoyed that she had over 15, but I was way more ticked that she got all pissy with me because I was going too fast.
        WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Too *fast* in the express lane???? WTF??? This biddy definitely had problems before she ever set foot in the store if she was capable of this piece of illogic. My sig, I think, says it well.

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of checkouts, is it sucky or bigoted of me to think that cashiers and other people whose jobs involve verbal interaction with customers should have at least basic proficiency in the prevalent language of the area they're in (or in the language of their target demographic)????
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            Incidentally, while we're on the subject of checkouts, is it sucky or bigoted of me to think that cashiers and other people whose jobs involve verbal interaction with customers should have at least basic proficiency in the prevalent language of the area they're in (or in the language of their target demographic)????
            Not at all. If they can't talk to the customers they're serving, then they shouldn't be doing the customer service. If someone works in a Chinese market, they should probably speak Chinese. If someone works in a Mexican restaurant, they should speak Spanish. This is basically a given. So if someone works in a business that serves mostly English speakers, then hey...English would be nice. It doesn't need to be perfect, but it needs to be mutually intelligible.

(I live in an area that has a nearly equal majority Mexican & white population, so it really goes both ways here. I get annoyed at my English-only coworkers for continuing to try to talk in English to people who can't, rather than just calling over one of the many who speak Spanish...)
            Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

I bet she was one of those people that has to make sure the correct price was showing as you were scanning the items through. That's why she wanted you to go slow. In case her can of peas that were labeled for $.50 didn't ring up for $.89
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

They need to make a "Single pathetic male, cash only, no chit-chat" line

I wish I could remember which Simpsons episode that was, when Marge & Apu go shopping at the "warehouse" style store..
                "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Express stupidity...

I am a curteous customer, and completely an a$$hole to rude customers.

If I see a customer behind me with only a couple items, I gladly let them ahead of me.(I shop at 1 AM, and they don't have express lanes at that time) If I see that an employee is behind me, and they are on their break, and I have my 2 weeks of groceries going, I let them through.("You on break? then go ahead of me, i have time to kill. Just need a victim") I practice common courtesy, and am loathe to those who don't.

God forbid I shop during the day. If I do, it is because I cannot get the item i need at 1 am. I still practice the courtesy I use at 1 am, and when i see people not using such courtesy, I very vocally let them know they are being idiots.

D: Me
                  SC: Not so courteous customer

(seeing their cartload of stuff)D: What are you doing?
                  SC: I'm checking out, why?
                  D: You have a cartload of stuff, I have one item, and this is the express lane.
                  SC: I'm in a hurry. I don't want to wait in a normal line.
                  D: So you think that gives you the right to be a retard? Why don't you do the math and count your items. then get in the proper lane.
                  SC: because I am right here. I don't need to--
                  D: Yes you need to. this is labeled an express lane for a reason. Pull your head out of your a$$ and get in the proper line.
                  SC: Are you the shopping police?
                  D: My cop car is outside.(I drive a decommissioned police car) You want me to run you in for violation of the moron code? Just use your brain and let these people through. Stupid analog bink.

Why can't we exterminate stupid people? would make all of our lives a lot easier.
                  I did not sell my soul to Satan. He does have a long term lease with the option to buy.

Comment

Quoth Mr. Rude View Post
                    They need to make a "Single pathetic male, cash only, no chit-chat" line
                    OH HELL YEAH! *Great* idea!!
                    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Mr. Rude View Post
                      I wish I could remember which Simpsons episode that was, when Marge & Apu go shopping at the "warehouse" style store..
                      Don't know if it has a title, but it's the one where Homer eats bad meat from the Kwik E Mart and gets Apu fired. Apu helps out around the house till Homer helps him go to India to ask the owner of the first convenience store for his job back.

You may ask me three questions.
                      Are you really the head of the Kwik E Mart?
                      Yes.
                      You?
                      Yes.
                      Really?
                      Yes. Thank you. Come again.

Quoth Kitten in the box View Post
                      customers are 99.9% illeterate
                      Is it mean to point out that I think that's funny?

Comment

Ask, and thou shalt recieve!

Season Five, Episode 1F10, "Homer and Apu."

I.P. Freleigh, who knows way too much SImpsons trivia for his own good.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Deceptitech View Post
                          SC: Are you the shopping police?
                          D: My cop car is outside.(I drive a decommissioned police car) You want me to run you in for violation of the moron code? Just use your brain and let these people through. Stupid analog bink.
                          roflmfao!! That is hella funny...If I heared something like that I don't care where I was I would more than likely fall over in hysterics. When something like that happens I tend to laugh at the customers' stupidity.
                          Last edited by Ree; 10-09-2006, 10:10 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                          NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Express lane courtesy

When i went off on that one, I had the people behind me, the cashier, and the CSMs looking at the situation. The CSM with a smile on her face said that was uncalled for, the cashier mouthed "thank you" and the people behind me applauded.

I suppose those who can't stand up for themselves need someone to take the initiative.
                            I did not sell my soul to Satan. He does have a long term lease with the option to buy.

Comment

She sounds like one of those people who can't be pleased no matter what. She no doubt would have bitched if you went too slow.

Yeah, let her complain that you were going too fast, so the manager can have a good laugh.
                              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Working...
                              X