This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.o.s.

In book terms, it stands for Strict on Sale. These are the highly anticipated books, usually by bestselling authors, and they have a solid date, before which we are NOT ALLOWED TO SELL THEM. This is basically to give every store a chance to get their copies in before the mad rush hits. There are huge fines associated with breaking the SOS date. Anyhow, SOS dates are almost ALWAYS Tuesday (exceptions being Harry Potter, which Jo can release any day she damn well feels like it, and the last book of the Series of Unfortunate Events which is being released this upcoming Friday the 13th) So, anyway, I got this today.

SC: I'm looking for the latest John Grisham book.
    Me: You know, I think his latest actually comes out tomorrow. Let me check. ::checks computer:: Yes, his newest, "The Innocent Man" comes out tomorrow.
    SC: So, will you for sure have it in tomorrow?
    Me: Yes. We actually have it in already, but we're not allowed to sell it until tomorrow.
    SC: You can't sell it to me today?
    Me: (Hello! What did I just say?) No, I can't. There are huge fines associated with doing that.

I learned my lesson. A guy came up later asking about the Vince Flynn book that comes out tomorrow.

C: So, will you for sure have it in tomorrow?
    Me: Yes. Yes we will.
    Any fool can criticize, comdemn, and complain—and most do. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sarah: That's not fair!
    Jareth: You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is...

They do that with movies too. We'll get in a case of some movie, but we arent allowed to put it on the shelf until a certain date.
    WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth Amalthea View Post
      I learned my lesson. A guy came up later asking about the Vince Flynn book that comes out tomorrow.

C: So, will you for sure have it in tomorrow?
      Me: Yes. Yes we will.
      It's only a lie if they find out about it. Let's just keep it our little secret, hmm?
      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
        It's only a lie if they find out about it. Let's just keep it our little secret, hmm?
        It wasn't a lie. We will have it in tomorrow. Cuz it's sitting in the back right now, waiting to be put out on display tomorrow. I just didn't inform him that we had it in today, not wanting a repeat of the previous incident.

Man, I really wanted to say to that lady:

"No, I can't sell it to you TODAY, because I just said we can't sell it until TOMORROW, and TODAY is not TOMORROW! DUH!"
        Any fool can criticize, comdemn, and complain—and most do. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sarah: That's not fair!
        Jareth: You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is...

Comment

Quoth batmoody View Post
          They do that with movies too. We'll get in a case of some movie, but we arent allowed to put it on the shelf until a certain date.
          Yup, and the law in Canada is that if it is sold before the release date, the active participants serve a period in jail for 6 months, and the company is fined $10,000 per copy. Good incentive to say no, huh?

I had a customer ask me to sell a copy a day early.

SC: Can I get it today instead of tommorow?
          ME: I'm afraid not, the law prohibits it.
          SC: Well, what's the penalty?
          ME: 6 months in jail for all active participants, and a $10,000 fine to the company per copy.
          SC: So?
          ME: I will go to jail and lose my job.
          SC: So? As long as I get my movie, why should I care?
          ME: A) I am not going to ruin my life just because you're impatient, and B) I said all ACTIVE participants. This means you as well. Are you willing to ruin your life for a $20 movie?
          SC: Well, they won't catch me, they'll only catch you.
          ME: Get out.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            Apparently, this dolt forgot that you have all of his information-including name, phone number, address, and possibly credit card number-on file, and that you would be MORE than willing to hand it over to the authorities if you were so inclined. In fact, the police would probably DEMAND it. Dumkopf.
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

ME: Get out.
              "Door's to your left"
              Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
              TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

ahh embargoed titles!! A fellow bookseller with whom to suffer So far this week, I've been asked to "slip a copy of Series of Unfortunate Events out early" on average 3 times a day. Get a GRIP people!! it's a BOOK, life as you know it will not come to an end if you do not have the thing in your hand before everyone else...good grief, if ya that desperate, go buy it from Amazon since they seem to be immune to the whole embargo issue and frequently break it with no consequences!

Let's not even discuss the hell of a new harry potter eh

Comment

ME: I will go to jail and lose my job.
                  SC: So? As long as I get my movie, why should I care?
                  ME: A) I am not going to ruin my life just because you're impatient, and B) I said all ACTIVE participants. This means you as well. Are you willing to ruin your life for a $20 movie?
                  This asstard is forgetting that he can't get said item without your cooperation. And one way I have found to definitely NOT get someone's cooperation in something illegal or underhanded is to make it clear to them that their fate matters not at all to you.

Not exactly Dale Carnegie-type persuasion this Real Man of Genius is using, is it?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                  X