This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return Scams

Reading a couple of other threads piqued my interest on retail return scams. So I thought I'd start a new thread so we could compare notes and find out how customers try to beat the system (and how we can stop them!). So far, here are the ones I know about:

- Receipt Fraud: Scammer acquires receipt tape for your store, prints out his own receipts and makes multiple returns of an item bought elsewhere for less. Also, people buying and selling live receipts (where the item was paid for with cash). Not sure if there's a way to combat that without some kind of central database....

- Renting: Scammer buys an item, uses it then returns it, in essence getting a free rental of that item. I would presume that asking the customer a lot of questions about why he is returning it and offering an exchange at every opportunity will help deter this.

- Switching: Scammer buys two similar items with different prices, then switches them so he can return the cheaper item in the more expensive item's packaging (thereby effectively buying the more expensive item at the cheaper price).

What else do scammers try?
    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

There's also the one that's similar to the reciept scam. Person goes through the trash in front of a store, finds a receipt. Scammer goes into the store, picks up the item on the reciept and returns it.

Not all places "mark" the merchandise people bring back in.

Comment

Software scammers: Those who buy software, copy it and return it for a refund. [This scammer type is the reason that opened software usually can't be returned.]

The software company I work for has a 90 day money-back guarantee. So we have to be extra careful to avoid this type of scam. We do have our methods to prevent scammers from benefitting from fraudelent returns.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

There is an annoying lady where I work who steals baby items from our store, which apparently goes unnoticed because she has a baby with her. Who would think that a lady who has a baby carrying a diaper bag is odd? She comes back another time, therefore getting her items tagged when she comes back in, and tries to return them without a receipt. She also tries to call ahead of time to make sure certain customer service workers aren't there, but what she doesn't realize is that the rest of us know who she is too. We just act all dumb and fake like we are going to take the return and then get management, where they tell her she needs a receipt.

"Ok, I'll go get my receipt and be right back," she says, and then never comes back. She also has like 3 IDs, thinking that we won't notice who she is, because each ID allows 3 returns with no receipt before it rejects them. At first, management made us take her stuff back so we could have evidence against her, but hopefully now we can get her kicked out of the store permanently! I really hope so!

Comment

- Renting: Scammer buys an item, uses it then returns it, in essence getting a free rental of that item. I would presume that asking the customer a lot of questions about why he is returning it and offering an exchange at every opportunity will help deter this.
          This happens quite frequently with big-screen TVs at my store.

Just before the Super Bowl, we'll sell some big-screen TVs, then the Monday after the game they'll be magically returned to stock, with the excuse being "the customer found out the TV wouldn't fit in their entertainment center."

Yeah. Right. Sure. Whatever. Funny it took them several days, or almost a week to figure this out.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Just before the Super Bowl, we'll sell some big-screen TVs, then the Monday after the game they'll be magically returned to stock....
            the stores here started charging a 25% restock fee on any big screen tv purchased around the superbowl and returned within thirty days of it-sales plummeted but so did the amount of returns-and I'm sure the employees are happier.

BlaqueKatt-who will only rent things from a rental agent, less hassle
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I work for a CVS, we have one of those customer discount card things that lets people get the sale price and it also let people earn coupons. We also run sales that give people coupons for a certain amount of money if you buy certian items (example: buy x amount of Coke 12 packs; get a $5 coupon). We had one guy who for several months would be getting obscene amounts of these coupons. He was also coming in with multiple coupons from the same sale, even though its limited one per customer and tracked on thier card (we figured this out after we did a sale were the coupon was for a wierd amount, $17 or something like that and he had 3 of them). Turns out he had at least 3 of our cards. He was buying the item, returning it at another store without giving them his card or reciept, that why his account still thinks he bought the itme at will spit out the coupon on his reciept a few days later, or he would wait for the coupons to come out then return it. It took loss pervetion about two months to get enough info to stop him. He still shops at our store, but as far as I know he doesnt get anywhere near as many coupons as he used to.

Another thing we think this guy did (but we couldn't prove it at our store) was get buy 1 get 1 free items and return them at another store without his reciept so he gets full price for both of them. Even though we never saw him return BOGO items at our store we still think he did this. How do we know? Almost every time there was a BOGO sale he was in our store buying those itmes. Almost everything he bought at our store was either BOGO or it would give you a coupon. I'm glad LP put a stop to this.
              "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

Wow. Something I can really share more about. One of the last positions I had at Lowes was over returns. Here's the scams I learned of, beyond the ones listed.

Intimidation: While not a total scam, it's not uncommon for a customer to attempt to intimidate the returns associate or employee. The idea being that if they can get you scared or unnerved enough, you'll make a mistake.

Swaps: In principle, these don't hurt anything. They're identical items right? Sometimes this is true. However, it's your best bet to treat a swap as a total return. Take the item back so you can visually check that it's your product, not overused (see renting), or not too old to return. It's a common scam to bring something back that's old, but in good condition; claim they just got it and need to swap it out, and then get a newer item for pretty much free.

Part Thieves: (no better name for this) This scam is something of a minor one, but it can get you in a bit of trouble. It's the customer that purchased an item, claims it's missing something and wants to take that something out of another box. On the surface this doesn't seem to be much trouble, however it can get messy when you consider that scammers often use this to get parts out of a box, or even in some cases steal components from items. Your best bet here is to deny the return, and ask them to bring the original back.

Annual VS Perennial: Especially at Lowes, one scam that's been running for ever deals with plants. Customers see that if something dies within a year, you can bring it back. The smart thieves figured out that some plants don't live more than a year. So, when they keep dying, they'll bring them back and get new ones for free. Know the difference between Annual and Perennial, and be willing to contact management about it.

Returning Parts/partial return: Usually this scam will happen with a large item that came with something free. Another variation, has the customer returning the whole item save for the parts they needed at home. In either case this is illegal. It's actually theft by deception (shoplifting) and can carry a rather hefty fine. Customers dont' always understand that just because the item that came with it was free, doesn't mean they get to keep it if they return the other item. However, there are those who fully understand it, and use this to their advantage. Be wary of these types.

Things to look out for, Flags of Trouble.

Torn Reciept. Information removed from it, or the reciept cut.

Fidgety Customer.

Asking for Cash, when they paid with a Credit card. (FYI, in most states, this type of conversion is highly illegal. Check your local statutes to be certain.)

Unwashed customer returning high priced item. (I know that's stereotyping and profiling, but it's better to just be safe.)

Not wanting to give you a reason they're returning it. Refusing to give a reason, or not having one beyond "Give me the money back."

Packages which have been taped shut.

Packages which seem to feel lighter than they should.

Packages which are faded, as if through age or water damage.
                Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I've seen the best and the worst of the scammers when I was at the evil Blue Box Store.

Worst: Some lady bringing in a shopping cart carrying a box that looks to be a 25" Sanyo TV - until you looked inside. Was a dusty old 19" Orion. Nice try lady.........NOT.

Best (just for ingeniousness - still SUCKY though): Someone returned a power tool, and the box felt a little TOO solid if you know what I mean. Inside was 3 pieces of wood neatly stuffed inside.
                  Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Everything Elbarto said happens to me on a daily basis, except our LP officers dont do anything about it.

It's sick really. I mean, you'd think these people could put their time to more good use than scamming a pharmacy.

The worst is when people buy Diabetic testing equipment when we have it on sale for like $3 after using a coupon. Original price=$80. Then they take it and return to anther store.

Dont they realize that they are stealing from sick people?

Olive juice you too.

Comment

Quoth BrassCowboy View Post
                      Dont they realize that they are stealing from sick people?
                      no they aren't, they are stealing from whatever store they return it to. unless they return it for full price at some sort of drug co-op.
                      DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                        Asking for Cash, when they paid with a Credit card. (FYI, in most states, this type of conversion is highly illegal. Check your local statutes to be certain.)
                        Trivia note: if a shopkeeper uses the cashback feature using his own credit card, effectively getting cash from the till from the card without using an ATM (with all the attendant charges), that's illegal over here - a practice apparently referred to as 'shotgunning'.

I now return you to your regularly shotgunned thread.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Lehk View Post
                          no they aren't, they are stealing from whatever store they return it to. unless they return it for full price at some sort of drug co-op.
                          Yes, but.....when they buy them all up within the first day in order to make profit, and meanwhile people with diabetes cant find these things on the shelves, then that is when they steal from sick people.

Olive juice you too.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                            Intimidation: While not a total scam, it's not uncommon for a customer to attempt to intimidate the returns associate or employee. The idea being that if they can get you scared or unnerved enough, you'll make a mistake.
                            I know this one. guess who gets called to stop this little scam?

Part Thieves: (no better name for this) This scam is something of a minor one, but it can get you in a bit of trouble. It's the customer that purchased an item, claims it's missing something and wants to take that something out of another box. On the surface this doesn't seem to be much trouble, however it can get messy when you consider that scammers often use this to get parts out of a box, or even in some cases steal components from items. Your best bet here is to deny the return, and ask them to bring the original back.
                            or at least get the person up who did the sale and validate it. Scammers hate being caught in a lie.

Returning Parts/partial return: Usually this scam will happen with a large item that came with something free. Another variation, has the customer returning the whole item save for the parts they needed at home. In either case this is illegal. It's actually theft by deception (shoplifting) and can carry a rather hefty fine. Customers dont' always understand that just because the item that came with it was free, doesn't mean they get to keep it if they return the other item. However, there are those who fully understand it, and use this to their advantage. Be wary of these types.
                            And that's why reciepts are required and have all items listed, free or not. Usually when faced with this, scammers bail.
                            Things to look out for, Flags of Trouble.

Torn Reciept. Information removed from it, or the reciept cut.
                            a good counter to this is that if the original sale cannot be verified, no return is allowed

Most places refuse this anyway. It can only go on the same means it was paid for.

Unwashed customer returning high priced item. (I know that's stereotyping and profiling, but it's better to just be safe.)
                            My friend's stepdad actually does this. No, he's not a scammer, but he does industrial work, and often does his shopping right after work.

Not wanting to give you a reason they're returning it. Refusing to give a reason, or not having one beyond "Give me the money back."
                            No reason for return, no return. Best counter to that. Also a flag to inspect the items thourougly.

Packages which have been taped shut.

Packages which seem to feel lighter than they should.

Packages which are faded, as if through age or water damage.
                            These meet with automatic inspection where I work, no exception, and pisses off scammers to no end.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

You would be surprised how many times I'd come into my returns area and find stuff that had been returned by some poor cashier who didn't check the boxes. Stuff taped down, wet, or damaged. I'm tempted to compile a kind of BOLO list and post it elsewhere on this site.
                              Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
                              X