This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless Party Of One

We had this whacked out woman come into the store a few days ago. After pretty much driving me batty with her thousand and one questions she finally picked out what she needed and was at the register.

An elderly man came up behind her and asked her how she was doing. She pointedly turned her head away from him. He and I exchange a WTF look and I finish ringing her up. She goes to the microwave to heat up something and he buys a couple of lottery tickets.

As soon as he exits the store she goes ballistic. "How dare he use his social security checks to buy lotto tickets. That's why I ignored because I knew what he doing." Now she doesn't know this guy who owns his own business and does not need social security and even he was getting social security it's none of her business what he spends the money on.

However she was still going off, she walks over to the door and stares at his car. "Look at him, he's not even disabled." Confused I look out the window, he's not parked in the handicapped space so I don't get what she's whining about.

She then proceeds to complain that there are people in the world on dialysis and people who have glaucoma who could use that money. How dare he spend it on lotto tickets. She then turns to me and says "Doesn't that make you so mad?"

"No," I say "I tend to mind my own business and not judge the other customers." She shut up real quick and left. Seriously I have no idea why a man buying a lottery ticket would put her in such a frenzy.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Nosey bitch, doesn't matter what he spends his money on, it's HIS money after all.

Some people really need to keep heir opinions to themselves.
    I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

Who cares how one person spends their money? If they want to spend it on lotto tickets, let them -- it's no big deal.

I hope that man wins the lotto just to piss the lady off even more.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
        As soon as he exits the store she goes ballistic. "How dare he use his social security checks to buy lotto tickets.
        Honestly, how did she KNOW it was his SS money? There are plenty of elderly people out there who still work for a living... let alone some that retired with plenty of money.

What a nutcase.
        "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

and even if they're retired and living off of SS money... they most likely paid into it anyway.

plus there's no law that says you can't do that. in fact some states use the lottery money to provide funds for schools if i remember correctly.

(or as mom puts it... she quit smoking a long time ago, so instead of cigarettes she buys lottery tickets. hell she's got some good luck with them too)

Comment

The woman in the OP missed a fantastic chance to shut up. Why is it any of her beeswax what someone else does? Sheesh.
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I have two things...
              first off in order to get SS you have to work.So fuck this hag,he worked for years.

And second my dad has severe heart problems(after having a heart attck,he only has 35% of his heart left,and he was only given 10 years to live,hes live 16)And looking at him you wouldn't think that he has anything wrong with him. So I pray that I'm with him if he runs into a whore like this. I would make a huge scene and have everyone looking at her.
              Last edited by candyshopgirl; 11-14-2008, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Just because you're on Social Security doesn't mean you're handicapped either. This lady kinda needs to get an Ed-Ju-Ma-Cation.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
                  I have two things...
                  first off in order to get SS you have to work.So fuck this hag,he worked for years.
                  I was just going to say.. I'm not sure how it works in the states but here every day you work a bit of your paycheck goes into the state pension, then when you retire you get the money you've paid.

If it works anything like that in the States then it's the old guy's own money that he paid into the fund by working and therefore noone has the right to tell him how to spend it.

Plus, to the lady Mind Your Own Business!!
                  It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
                    I was just going to say.. I'm not sure how it works in the states but here every day you work a bit of your paycheck goes into the state pension, then when you retire you get the money you've paid.
                    That's how it's supposed to work, but it was underfunded for a long time so a lot of what current workers are paying in is going out to people currently retired.

That said, yes if you're getting SS benefits then you either worked, or were married to someone who did who is now dead.

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                      Why is it any of her beeswax what someone else does? Sheesh.
                      Because then she wouldn't be able to bitch about it

I know that if she would have said something like that to my grandfather...he'd have told her what she could do with herself Grandpa was a great guy--hard working, would help anyone out, etc. However, if you pissed him off...look out! He didn't take shit from anyone

Anyway, when he died, he left my grandmother well taken care of. Every cent he made was carefully invested or squirreled away. She wasn't wealthy, but never worried about money. He'd been working for 50-odd years, and as such, the payments from SS then went to her, along with his pension checks.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

It sounds like this idiot was getting social security confused with welfare or food stamps.

Comment

There are different levels of Social Security
                          SSD-disability paid into b y the person receiving it
                          SSI-a welfare form of SS for disabled people-can be anything from being too fat to being completely paralyzed. This is for anyone even if they never worked a day in their life.
                          SSR-retirement pay
                          SSS-Survivors benefits for children and spouse of a person who died prior to the kids turning 18, something close to child support.

I am against the SSI because it is a welfare program

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                            That's how it's supposed to work, but it was underfunded for a long time so a lot of what current workers are paying in is going out to people currently retired.
                            Thats how its supposed to work. Its not an investment. You don't pay into an account and then draw out of it later.

Instead, money in is used to pay money out. Social Security taxes for 2008 will pay for Social Security checks for 2008.

Comment

Quoth mscrybaby View Post
                              I am against the SSI because it is a welfare program
                              Yes it is but think about it like this. I knew a guy in high school got into an accident and is paralyzed and unable to work. Since SSD comes from the fact that you paid into SS he isn't eligible. Since he didn't have time to accrue SS benefits so he is paid SSI.
                              Also its not just for people that never worked it is also for people that didn't make enough money to put into SS to then qualify for SSD.

But yes it is mostly a welfare program but you have to have a Dr declare you as disabled and its hard to get qualified for it. Like me, I had to go on disablility about 2 years ago. A Dr verified disability and I was denied SSI. Thankfully I had worked long enough to qualify for SSD
                              Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

Working...
                              X