This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ain't This America?

A few years ago, I worked in the appliance department one of the big box DIY stores. (Hint: Their favorite color is orange.)

One evening, a young couple wanted to buy one of the low-end dishwashers. We had it in stock and the couple wanted to take it with them. Okay, not a problem. I grab a cart and head back to get the unit.

When I come back, there’s another, older man there with them.

OLD GUY: <mumble> <mumble> <mumble>
    ME (looking from the young couple to the old guy): Excuse me?
    OLD GUY: How <mumble> <mumble> <mumble>
    ME (now looking thoroughly confused): Excuse me, sir?
    OLD GUY: Why you gettin’ mad at me?
    ME: I’m not, sir. I can’t understand what you’re saying.
    OLD GUY: How much is that dishwasher?
    ME: $199
    OLD GUY: Then they didn’t do a good enough job.
    ME (knowing exactly what he’s talking about, but playing dumb): A good enough job doing what, sir?
    OLD GUY: Negotiatin’
    ME: We don’t negotiate prices here, sir. The price is $199.

Now the guy says something that left me speechless for a moment:

OLD GUY: Well, ain’t this America?
    ME (…blink…blink…): Yes, sir, it is. But we don’t negotiate prices. Is there anything else you need folks?

The young couple left, taking the dishwasher, the old guy following them, mumbling about how they should’ve haggled the price down lower.

I wanted to ask the guy if he was the one paying for it. If he wasn’t, then he should mind his frelling business. At the very least, I wanted to tell him that this isn't a flea market or a used car lot.
    "Now, don't feel bad. It's not you, it's me. I don't like you." - Aeryn, Farscape

Suddenly you realize...you're not alone in the Universe - farchild628

Quoth wordboy View Post
    ME (…blink…blink…): Yes, sir, it is. But we don’t negotiate prices. Is there anything else you need folks?
    He obviously can't tell the difference between an American appliance store and a Chinese marketplace. (One of my aunts went on a cruise that included a stop in China, the passengers had a competition to see who could buy the most fake Rolexes for US$1. My aunt came second, with 12 watches)

Comment

I don't even like negotiating at flea markets. I hate it when vendors purposely price things high to get you to negotiate, and I hate it even more when they don't put prices on and then you ask them "How much is it" and they get all "How much you got?" I have a few favorite vendors at the flea markets I like and they either have their stuff priced reasonably to begin with, or they are so cool that I make a big pile and then they give me one price for everything (and my favorite one, it's usually way less than what I would estimate!).

So, to continue hijacking your thread:

I also hate shopping for cars at dealerships because it's the same difference. I have read the books on how to deal with car salesmen (are there any that read and/or post on this forum, I wonder?), but after going thru this once this fall (buying a car for my aunt to drive), I refused to do it again when my car came up totaled after someone rear-ended it (must let you know it wasn't MY fault!). And, my aunt KNEW the sales manager! You know, the guy the salesperson is talking about when they say "Let me run your offer by my boss, see what he says". UGH. We went to our mechanic and picked a truck out of what he had for sale, and it is a Ford 6-cyl auto (not what I would normally drive if I were buying it new; I like late-model Japanese hatchback with manual transmissions), but the sacrifices I'd be making over the long-term are 10,000 times better than having to sit with the dealership for 6 hours.

This has been a test of the emergency broadcast system. We now return you to the regular scheduled thread.
      I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
        car salesmen (are there any that read and/or post on this forum, I wonder?),
        There've been a few, but they usually get treated about as well as telemarketers, or a bit worse.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Ain't this America...you and me....ain't this America...something to see baby....

Oops, sorry.

Yeah, what a fuckwhacker to want to negotiate like that. He wants to do that, he can haggle on some 35-year-old harvest gold dishwasher and a flea market or something.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth wordboy View Post

Why yes, yes it is and because this is America that lovely young couple is free to choose not to negotiate for something if they don't want to, just as you're free to express your opinion that they are dumb for not having done so. Isn't America wonderful sir

Comment

You want to negotiate, go to China.
              If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

And in America, we stopped using the barter system a while ago. Maybe he was still around when we were trading chickens for wheat?

Comment

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
                  ...trading chickens for wheat?
                  I've got wood for sheep! (Cookies for whomever gets the reference.)
                  Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

Quoth LingualMonkey View Post
                    I've got wood for sheep! (Cookies for whomever gets the reference.)
                    Settlers of Cataan! (I love that game and got my entire family hooked on it)
                    "This isn't a home, this is a swirling vortex of entropy." - Sheldon "The Big Bang Theory"

Comment

Quoth LingualMonkey View Post
                      I've got wood for sheep!
                      I just had some bad images in my head.

Comment

Quoth Mordecai View Post
                        I just had some bad images in my head.
                        I couldn't quite remember the title of the game so I googled "wood for sheep." Bad idea for the record, though admittedly the first link was about the game (a list of phrases about games that sound dirty...)
                        "This isn't a home, this is a swirling vortex of entropy." - Sheldon "The Big Bang Theory"

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          There've been a few, but they usually get treated about as well as telemarketers, or a bit worse.
                          Yup - Isellcars pretty much got chased off the site despite our efforts, which was a personal disappointment.

Rapscallion

Comment

Velcro gloves... kneepads... late-night dates... DONE WITH SHEEP!

Comment

I'll give the old guy the benefit of the doubt. In his youth (and probably even his middle-age) haggling wasn't that uncommon, but you don't haggle with a corporation. Welcome to the future.
                              Expect great things, but you'll get what you get.

PossJB

Comment

Working...
                              X