This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor people shouldn't have xmas

I just wanted to quote these women that came into my thrift store today (well the one I work at). These two women came in and asked the manager when he would be putting out christmas itiems because apparantly they make these collectables out of the things they buy and then sell them for 10x's what they paid for the actual materials. So he decides to go ahead and dedicate an entire section on the hopes that they will come back and buy plenty. So anyway they do and instead of being gracious they try to talk him down on everything stating that they should get these itiems for .10 cents and blah blah blah. So he politely but firmly state that we sell nothing for less that .25 cents and that the prices are fair. But NNNNOOOOO they insist that they can go elsewhere and get the same thing for cheaper and new....(most of the itiems are still in boxes). They try and haggle to buy ALL the christmas loot for VERY CHEAP..So my manager begins to explain that it wouldn't be fair and there are those who can not afford to buy new christmas decorations and he'd like to provide these itiems for them also...What does these bitches say (pardon the language but you will understand my anger in just one sec....Well if they can not afford christmas decorations new then they don't need them anyway.....Yep she said that with her friend agreeing! I was extemely unnerved and had to walk away.....They try to justify what they said by saying that basically they could afford it so they should have it....Oh really yah tried to get him to give you the stuff for .10 cents......Some people are just so ignorant
    Last edited by georgiab; 10-14-2006, 11:06 PM.

Wasn't it Recovering Kinkoid who said the people who have lots of money and can afford expensive things always seem to be the ones dickering over pennies?

Those ladies were extremely rude. I'd sentence them to a trip through the , but the lesson would sink in more if they were somehow to lose everything and not be able to buy those Christmas decorations. They wouldn't need Christmas.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I think I would have kindly told them to get the eff out and to make sure the door didn't hit their asses on the way out. Heck, I think I would have banned them for that statement.

The overwhelming majority of thrift stores are charity missions of some sort. Saying that kind of stuff is just stupid.

Mean old bitches!

Comment

Quoth georgiab View Post
        What does these bitches say (pardon the language but you will understand my anger in just one sec....Well if they can not afford christmas decorations new then they don't need them anyway.....Yep she said that with her friend agreeing!

Refering to them as bitches is nicer than what I'D call them...

But anyhoo, growing up, we didn't always have money for Christmas, etc. It sucked, especially considering the kids whose families were on welfare and every charity/toy list in the world got LOTS of stuff.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm not a devout christian, but I think christmas is an important holiday for everyone, ESPECIALLY the ones that can't afford new christmas decorations, and the ones that think they shouldn't have a christmas should be dealt with in the harshest way by karma

I just hope when these two die and they get up to the pearly gates that this and other comments I'm sure they've made get thrown in their face
          "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

We also didn't have much money when I was growing up, but we always had a good Christmas. Maybe that's why I spoil my husband and daughter now, though

A couple years ago, at a yard sale we held, I was selling a pair of rollerblades that had been outgrown. I think I had $4 on them. Keep in mind, this was in the summer...

the little boy who got them was just in seventh heaven. As he and his mom were walking away (they paid full price, didn't even ask to come down), I heard her say quietly, "Now, remember - that's half your Christmas gift, okay?"
            0 Coffee! Thou dost dispel all care, thou are the object of desire to the scholar. This is the beverage of the friends of God. -In Praise of Coffee, 1511

Daranacon - because we're not crazy enough

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              growing up, we didn't always have money for Christmas, etc. It sucked, especially considering the kids whose families were on welfare and every charity/toy list in the world got LOTS of stuff.
              It may have seemed that way to you, but that is a pretty general statement to make.

I'm sure there are many children in that situation who don't get "LOTS of stuff".
              Yes, as a rule their names are given out to charitable organizations, and people tend to be overly generous at that time of year, so the people on assistance don't fall through the cracks, and their children do get to experience a pretty good Christmas.
              Yes, people who opt not to apply for assistance, (or who don't qualify for some reason), don't get put on these lists, and have to make do the best they can, so often end up with a pretty skimpy Christmas.

It's not always fair.

However, we certainly have enough welfare bashing/ranting threads on CS that we really don't need anymore of them perpetuating the stereotype of people on welfare abusing the system and being better off than the working stiff.
              Lets' stick to the topic - Greedy people expecting to get something for nothing and coming off with judgmental attitudes in order to accomplish that.
              Last edited by Ree; 10-15-2006, 06:33 AM.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I was selling a pair of rollerblades that had been outgrown. I think I had $4 on them. Keep in mind, this was in the summer...

the little boy who got them was just in seventh heaven. As he and his mom were walking away (they paid full price, didn't even ask to come down), I heard her say quietly, "Now, remember - that's half your Christmas gift, okay?"
                There's something rather touching about that. The poor mother's obviously struggling to make ends meet, but yet she makes sure her son HAS a Christmas gift. (Or two, in this case.) And the fact that the kid was ecstatic to have a used $4 pair of rollerblades instead of whining and crying for some expensive ones, or an expensive video game system, or a new bike says something about the values he was taught.

Or am I reading that wrong?
                Last edited by Ree; 10-15-2006, 06:34 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

Quoth BrightEyedKitty View Post
                  the fact that the kid was ecstatic to have a used $4 pair of rollerblades instead of whining and crying for some expensive ones, or an expensive video game system, or a new bike says something about the values he was taught.

Or am I reading that wrong?
                  No, I think you're reading it right.

That story touched my heart, and brought tears to my eyes. (I'm just a big softie sometimes. )

It's so refreshing to see kids who aren't spoiled, and parents who are setting a good example.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                    I'm just a big softie sometimes.
                    I can understand that. I'm the same way.
                    My Fanfic Page
                    My Fiction Page
                    My Social Group
                    My Pet Social Group
                    My You Tube Channel

Comment

The other cool part of the roller blade story is that the mother realized she was getting a good deal and really seemed to appreciate it.

Just a side-note tying together the thrift store and garage sale thing together..

My grandmother acquired (ie bought) tons of x-mas stuff in her waning years. She had closets full of stuff. She loved x-mas and just couldn't help herself (and she had the money to not feel guilty about it). The closets in her house were full of it. When she passed, we kept the stuff that was sentimental to us and decided to garage sale the rest.

Some of the stuff she had wasn't cheap. We sold stuff that she probably paid $25-30 for like $5 a pop. I'm exaggerating a bit, but the hagglers would try to get that stuff for like .50. My sis and I decided to hold firm on the stuff we knew was actually worth a spit. I figured if I was going to give it away, I may as well donate it to a thrift store and let the proceeds help people rather than practically giving it away to some cheap ass.

Comment

Christmas is a sore time of the year for me and this post has made me sad! I am trying to convince myself that I don't need to celebrate it and then I hear stories like the mom and the little boy with the in-line skates and it just makes my heart warm when you see the little things that happen on this holiday.

As far as those women in the thrift shop that wanted cheap stuff to turn around and make money off it AND then say if people are poor they shouldn't celebrate Christmas!
                        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                          Christmas is a sore time of the year for me and this post has made me sad! I am trying to convince myself that I don't need to celebrate it
                          Not to be nosey, but why would you have to convince yourself not to celebrate something?

I realize this time of year brings out a lot of bad feelings amid all the pleasantness, but I just find it odd that someone would deliberately seek out the negativity.

Like I said, though, none of my business.
                          Last edited by Ree; 10-15-2006, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I worded that wrong...

I am trying not to celebrate it anymore. Why? Mostly because I am not Christian...but when I try to tell myself that over and over, I begin to recognize it as an excuse, not a reason.

I live 700 miles away from any family. I live on small means. I am single, I have no children (when I see a child's face regarding xmas, it warms my heart, but I have none of my own and probably never will) I will be working on xmas (and new years), I have no decorations (but I have never thought of getting some at a thrift store which I'd be able to afford - I'm not sure why - I love shopping at thrift stores) It is a sad time of the year for me. I try not to focus on the negative side of everything but when Christmas hits you in the face from after Halloween until after the New Year - it's kind of hard.

Eh, I'll get over it.
                            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                              Refering to them as bitches is nicer than what I'D call them...
                              I don't even think the words exist for what I'd call them.

I know there are people who resell on ebay and the like, but to be that bold about it at a thrift store and try to haggle prices even further?!

I think the "ladies" were just furious at the prospect that someone other than them might have those decorations.

My mom doesn't really celebrate Christmas (during the season of goodwill was when my grandmother would get especially self-centered and nasty...kind of like the SCs, actually).

Everyone has a right to celebrate the holiday or not, in their own way, regardless of means.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X