This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bags need to be clean for a reason

OK, for the non-Aussies, my state has recently started phasing out bags. And this is now across the state, not just my store We can still offer the standard bags, but we also need to provide an alternative. What I have noticed though is that we have gotten a LOT of customers giving us green bags and it's occurring more often than usual. Retailers have until May to phase out bags.

boutique bags, produce bags (i.e. the really thin and stupid bags used to bag various produce), paper bags and certain compostable bags are exempt from the ban.

Annnyway....

Yesterday a customer hands my coworker a bunch of green bags. They weren't awfully dirty, but when my coworker opens the bag, he gets a little surprise....in the form of a COCKROACH! Yeah, a live cockroach crawling around the bag.

So what does my coworker say?

"Anybody hungry?"

Thanks mate, I wasn't THAT desperate

Anyway, he gave them a warning just to ensure that the bags were clean, but THAT is why we insist on having clean green bags.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Over here (UK) we either reuse our old plastic/hessian bags (and get loyalty points from our main supermarket) or we stick them in recycle bins.

Comment

The green bags are meant to be reusable. People forget to bring them relentlessly or they leave them in the car.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
        So what does my coworker say?

"Anybody hungry?"
        Quick on the draw! Nice work to your co-worker!

Anyway ... I am surprised that some people don't even care about their groceries in the first place, I've seen folks toss their groceries around (into the cart/vehicle) and pack their bread with canned goods ...

We have two green bags and although we haven't had them long enough to get them dirty ... I don't think I'd like the idea of a cockroach crawling around with my veggies/fruits in the first place ...
        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I hadn't thought about bugs liking the reusabe bags. I live in the middle of Florida where it is pretty tropical. Seems no matter what you do those damn things still find a way in to your stuff and these big hairy spiders get in the house and hide in things. I can't stand either one so, unlike your co-worker, someone would have had to pull me off the ceiling if I found one in there....

Comment

With the living roach (or any big nasty bug, for that matter), I think I would've asked the customer to bag things themselves. That is quite disgusting. As a cashier I've had bags that were dirty with dirt, dustbunnies and leaves, but no bugs thank gord. The worst was the guy who smelled like cat. Don't get me wrong, I love cats and have a furry buddy myself. But those bags smelled absolutely foul and I was literally itching to wash afterwards.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

i would think the customer would have been embarassed to be cauht using that bag.

at the moment i am not using my reusable bags however. i am being cheap ... and am using the plastic grocery bags on purpose to avoid having to buy regular trash bags.

Comment

It's amazing, really considering that the reusable bags are made of cloth, which should be able to be washed.

I've got exactly one, which I use to carry my lunch and other sundry items to and from work... I really should get a couple more and keep them in my truck for trips to the store.

Eric the Grey
                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  i am being cheap ... and am using the plastic grocery bags on purpose to avoid having to buy regular trash bags.
                  You too, huh?
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                    It's amazing, really considering that the reusable bags are made of cloth, which should be able to be washed.

Eric the Grey
                    I don't know about yours, but the tag in mine says,

"100% Non woven polypropylene

Hand wash in cold water

Do not bleach

Hang dry, Do not tumble dry"

And since it's made in China, I imagine it's got melamine in it, also.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                      I don't know about yours, but the tag in mine says,

"100% Non woven polypropylene

Hand wash in cold water

Do not bleach

Hang dry, Do not tumble dry"

And since it's made in China, I imagine it's got melamine in it, also.
                      In reality most atre plastic just designed to be used more than once.

I have had some nasty ones. One smelled like rotting meat. In cases like that our CDH will let us bag in paper since most people have decided those are better for the environment.

Comment

Working...
                      X