X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth roadgypsy View Post
    61.21 jigabytes!!??!!! GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!1elventy
    Bah, darn you! That was the last of my sweet tea!

Though I was thinking that as well.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
      *Throws a can of soda at him*
      Mmm, sugary goodness.
      If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Weird; everyone I know always says that short men are well hung. Anyone want to comment? XD

Also, a lot of drummers seem to be short. A mate of mine drums, and is shorter than me. XD
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

At least being short, you won't automatically be taken for someone dangerous. I'm 6' 4-5" and built for manual labour. People are afaid of me sometimes on general principles. It doesn't help that without my glasses, I resemble Generic Thug #4.

Of course, then there are the people that look at me an think "Ooh, a walking stepladder!" It is nice for finding those deals that some stores hide on the top shelf, though.

On shoe size: I wear a size 16 (US Men's. While there are more larger sizes available now, I've never had to much worry about buying shoes, as I can usually walk in and say, "What do you have in a 16?" They bring out the 3-4 pair they have, and I pick the one I like. No selection means no indecision.

On a funny note, the last time I bowled, the one pair of size 16 rental shoes thay had were still tied the way I had left them the last time I was at that alley--over a year before!
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Cats View Post
            I've had more customers NOT notice my height. "oh hi, can you get this thing down off the top shelf for me while you're here?"...when they're 5 inches taller than I am.
            I've had that happen a lot.

I laugh.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglĂłid

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
              Also, a lot of drummers seem to be short. A mate of mine drums, and is shorter than me. XD
              My father and one of my brothers are both shorter than me, and they both play/played the drums. I think you might be onto something! Something so very roar about drummers.

I'm also considered the 'tall one' in the family, so I get all of the top shelf requests... even when I can't reach them!
              "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

From much earlier in the thread:

I believe "datta" is the plural, while "dayta" is the singular or collective. If that makes any sense.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                  From much earlier in the thread:

I believe "datta" is the plural, while "dayta" is the singular or collective. If that makes any sense.
                  "Data" is plural, "datum" is singular. I got a lecture from my advisor when I misused the word in an abstract.

Comment

At least being short, you won't automatically be taken for someone dangerous.
                    short doesn't equal weak. I could still shoot a gun even if I am short.

Comment

Quoth Cats View Post
                      I've had more customers NOT notice my height. "oh hi, can you get this thing down off the top shelf for me while you're here?"...when they're 5 inches taller than I am.
                      Would you believe I've had that happen to me as well?

Those are the occasions where it helps to have a tall guy working in the store at that time.

Which I'll have one next time one of our baggers is scheduled. He's an older fellow and around 6'5 - 6'6. He has no trouble reaching tall shelves for me.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        Weird; everyone I know always says that short men are well hung. Anyone want to comment? XD
                        Well sure, I'm not sure what you'd like to hear, as I've never been short...

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        At least being short, you won't automatically be taken for someone dangerous.
                        I hate that! You ever have small children run from you and cry in terror?

My nephew was scared to death of me as a mini person. None of his parents, grand parents, other aunts & uncles are over 5'-8", and here I come walking up at 6'-3".

Though I have to say I love being tall, it's great being able to reach things without a step stool. But of course I get the "hey can you get this for me" from random strangers who want something from a high shelf. I always help out, no skin off my nose.

Can't say I've ever made a comment about someone's height though. Doesn't matter to me how tall/short you are. Though I do call a guy who works with us "Shorty Matt" to distinguish him from me.

I think the most comments I ever got was when I was dating my last girlfriend (before my wife). She was 4'-11", and even though I was 14, I was 6'-3" (I quit growing at 13)

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                          short doesn't equal weak. I could still shoot a gun even if I am short.
                          Yes, but you don't look dangerous. Large people who are not obese have a reputation for violence*, right or wrong. I seriously have a neighbor downstairs that will go back into her apartment if I happen to be at the building mailboxes that sit outside her door. I have been nothing but polite to this woman, but she is terrified of me. It makes me a sad panda.

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                          I hate that! You ever have small children run from you and cry in terror?
                          Oddly, no. Kids seem to love me. At least, they sometimes follow me around and stare, then hide shyly when I look at them. Or I get random hugs while I wait in line. A friend of mine joshes me that they want to ask if I'm Hagrid's brother.

*don't believe me? Goliath, The Cyclopse, Attila the Hun, The Norse Frost Giants, the Jack & the Beanstalk Giant -- years of anti-tall propaganda I tell you!
                          Last edited by Geek King; 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Ok.. I registered JUST because of this thread.

I'm 6'6", and yes, I do get a lot of comments about my height. When I hear 'Wow! You're tall!', I reply with, 'No, I'm not. I live in a world of short people.' (No offence to those who are short!)

I would prefer I were a few inches shorter. I could drive any car I pleased, I wouildn't have to shop in the tall mens stores, and I wouldn't have to beg and plead for exit rows on aircraft.

There are some benefits, but they generally lead to being able to reach things on tall shelves.

Best Advantage? Well, the actor who played Darth Vader was 6'6". So I get to be Darth vader.

For the record; my wife is 5'2". Her friend, who is 5'11" was bitterly complaining that it was the short girls who got all the tall guys..

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              *don't believe me? Goliath, The Cyclopse, Attila the Hun, The Norse Frost Giants, the Jack & the Beanstalk Giant -- years of anti-tall propaganda I tell you!
                              Well, look at it this way, William Wallace was big and prone to violence when needed, but he was a hero!
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth persephone View Post
                                Two local, independent stores (a record store and a game store) actually are letting you use certain other stores gift cards direct exchange in their stores. Like if you have a $50 gift card to Target, WalMart, KMart, Krogers, Lowes, Home Depot or a few other select stores (they have a list by the register), that they can verify the valid amount on (like by calling), they will allow you to use them as cash in their store. They are owned by the same guy and, as he says, he uses the gift cards during the year to buy supplies or treats or gifts for his employees.
                                That's so dangerous. WHat if someone writes down the card number and secret code (if there is one), and then goes and spends it online right after giving the physical one to this store? very dangerous.
                                Before you ask, think about it. Think really hard. I have back, but I don't have any more in the back.

Comment

Working...
                                X