This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC at Paint Department -Long as usual

This happened a week ago, and wouldn't you know it, right before closing on a Friday night (we stay open until 10:00 pm).

This SC lady came in earlier in the day, trying to match an interior paint color to some curtains or pillows or something. I don't know, don't care. She spent a good 30 minutes looking at the color samples; she finally found a few she liked and took them home, promising she'd be back later. Joy.

Now, at Lowe's, we carry two manufacturers for paint: Valspar (American Tradition) and Olympic. AT is good stuff, Olympic (IMHO) blows. AT is the more expensive of the two, because it's a better paint. This is a bit important later.

She waltzes back in at 9:45 pm, and since I am the only person in paint department, I get the joy of dealing with her. She told me what she was painting, why she was painting, how she was painting... I honestly didn't want to hear it, I just wanted to get out of there. But she did say that she has repainted her whole house in Olympic paint, because she "buys the best." Ok, so color me impressed. Not.

She hands me the card for the paint she wants made up. She needs 10 gallons worth (2 five gallon buckets) of exterior paint and one gallon for the inside. I write down everything she told me and read it back to her to verify:
    ME: "You want 10 gallons of American Tradition exterior in satin and one gallon in Olympic semi-gloss, in these colors"
    SC: "Yes, that is correct."
    She says she'll be back, and I get the stupid heavy buckets and make them up.

10 min later she is back, and the paint she wants is finished. I thank her and say goodnight. She looks at me, looks at the two five-gallon buckets, then back to me.
    SC: "Umm.. excuse me. These are wrong."
    Me: "Really? How so?"
    SC: "I wanted Olympic paint. I told you when I was in here earlier, I only use Olympic, I only buy the best."
    Me: "Yes, I remember, but you handed me a color card for American Tradition."
    SC: "So?"
    Me: "So AT colors can only be made up for AT, Olympic colors for Olympic"
    SC" "So?"
    ME: "So this color you handed me, which is an exclusive AT color, can only be mixed into an AT paint product." (I didn't yell, I stressed)
    SC: "So mix it into Olympic"
    Me: "I'm sorry, but I can't do that. AT owns these colors. They are trademarked. I can't mix them into a competitor's paint."
    SC: "Yes you can. I always get my paint made into Olympic, no matter who makes it."

Meanwhile, the clock is ticking, it's 5 minutes after 10, and I'm still telling her why I can't put a trademarked color into a competitor's paint. I have barely started to clean up my department, I'll catch hell for it in the morning, and I am tired. Now, at Lowe's, we are empowered to do what it takes to make the customer happy, and if she wasn't such a self-important beyotch, I would have cheated and turned it into a "custom" color. But there was no way I was going to bow down to her highness.

Finally she asks for a manager, and I more than happy to get her one. I call the MOD and explain what's going on, but no so much cuz she is standing right next to me. I ask MOD Jon (name changed) to come over, and he says he'll be right there. I hang up and tell the SC he will be over soon. She goes to look at paint brushes, and I see Jon stepping out of the office. I walk over and go into greater detail about the situation. He agrees that I am right, and walks over to the customer with me.

MOD: "Hi, I'm Jon. How can I help you?"
    SC: "Finally! Look, I have spent over $5000 in paint at this store in the past month and..." Complete BS!!!
    After hearing that, I walked away, disgusted. I knew what was going to happen. So while they were talking, I went over to the Olympic paint, grabbed two 5-gallon buckets and waited for the green light to go ahead. Jon came to me, told me to go ahead and drop the colors into Olympic. I did, not caring that the color she chose is formulated to AT, not Olympic, and not caring how the color might turn out in a different paint (Which, BTW, did call for a different base!). I finish, put them in her cart, and wish her a good night. She leaves, heading for the checkout. I look at the clock, and have about 5 minutes until we leave. Ah well. I clean up the paint desk, look up, and there she is at customer service, getting a gift card for her inconvenience!!! WTF!

Jon normally doesn't cave to customers. He's one of the coolest managers we have. But I think he just wanted to get rid of her as much as I did.

Do you realize how much paint you have to buy to get up to $5000? Roughly 239 gallons at $21/gallon. Don't you think I would notice all the empty shelves where the paint you bought would be? And who, besides Bill Gates, has a house that big? That's a 96,000 sq. ft. house. I hope her paint looks puke green on her walls.

I just work here. Not for me to be concerned.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

"Trademarked Colors"??

I'm in trouble now, if you don't hear from me again, the color police may have got me.

I have heard that some companies are trying to create color cards that cannot be scaned and color matched, but I had never heard of "trademarked colors" before.

Maybe now I can refuse those people who go buy their paint elsewhere but come to my store when they need just one more gallon and don't want to drive all the way to Oklahoma City again.
    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Trademarked colors? We've been using most of these dyes since the Victorian era. And who cares anyway? It's just paint. It'll all fade and you'll have to do it again next year.
      You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

I had a similar thing happen at the Lowe's I was at. Though, the best was the guy who swore up and down he had bought Behr at us before and only wanted that. I mean, how do you tell someone that the paint they want, comes from the competitor?
        Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

many colours are trademarked

cadburys purple is trademarked
          cocacolas red is trademarked
          barbie's pink is trademarked

just to name a few off the top of my head.....
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Yes, trademarked. Those companies created the colors and the names for the colors, so they own them. It would be like me going to a Coca-Cola plant with a Pepsi and DEMANDING they formulate that Pepsi for me.

But I agree. It's paint. It fades. It peels. It chips. It cracks. It's not worth getting upset over. But I'm at my job, following the rules. So I'm not going to break those rules for you because you're a bitch.
            Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
              So I'm not going to break those rules for you because you're a bitch.
              We need a sign that says that on it.
              free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
                We need a sign that says that on it.
                Then they sue for hurt feelings.

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                  Then they sue for hurt feelings.
                  SC's have feelings?
                  Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Sure - they can turn them on and off at will!

Rapscallion

Comment

I think Knightmare's MOD needs a trip to the . I don't care how cool he's been in the past.

I would think if Valspar ever found out that one of their colors was mixed for a competitor's paint, there would be hell to pay. I'm thinking of this as being similar to the agreements we have with our movie suppliers, who stipulate that the new releases absolutely, positively, CANNOT be put on the floor before the release date.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
                        SC's have feelings?
                        Sure they do. Hurt, disappointment, aggravation, embarrassment, humiliation, distress, anger, annoyance, superiority, arrogance.....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

I get that crap all the time. I get so many customers bringing in paint samples from Home Depot and Lowe's, and then they get mad because we use a different system for mixing paint. Sure we have a scanner to create samples, but since those other stores use a different base, the colors don't match. But whatever, I'm just the guy who works here, my opinion doesn't matter.

Comment

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
                            SC's have feelings?
                            Quoth Jester View Post
                            Sure they do. Hurt, disappointment, aggravation, embarrassment, humiliation, distress, anger, annoyance, superiority, arrogance.....
                            You forgot special, unique, entitled...
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Rocko View Post
                              I get that crap all the time. I get so many customers bringing in paint samples from Home Depot and Lowe's, and then they get mad because we use a different system for mixing paint. Sure we have a scanner to create samples, but since those other stores use a different base, the colors don't match. But whatever, I'm just the guy who works here, my opinion doesn't matter.
                              But what about the customers who just ask for "Antique White" or "Hunter Green" and then throw a fit because it does not match the color card they got from Wally World?

I had both of these happen in the last month, luckily the 15 gallons of Antique White was a pre-mixed color. Personally I would have said too bad, but they guy who bought it was a Judge painting his office and with a judge, I think I will err on the side of "Good Karma".
                              "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Working...
                              X