This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step AWAY from my computer...

Saturday at work...wooo...go all us minimum wage retail slaves and our total lack of weekends.

Anyway, lady comes in, asks me if we have a certain book, I look it up for her, tell her we certainly have had it, but since the computer reads that we only have one left, I'd have to go and check the shelves for her because sometimes when the quantities get low, the system is a little off. She says that's fine, she'll wait.

Off I trot to the relevant section. Turns out we don't have the remaining copy, and I head back to find the customer...only to see her STANDING BEHIND MY DESK MERRILY SCROLLING AWAY ON MY SEARCH ENGINE!

As politely as I can manage, I deliberately step between her and the desk and force her to take a step back, she looks at me like I'm crazy,

Me :"I'm sorry ma'am, the computer system is for staff use ONLY."
    Her :"Well then you shouldn't have left your desk should you!"
    Me, frantically trying to prevent my lemming like brain cells from leaping into the yawning chasm like abyss of stupidity that statement just demonstrated :
    "Um...I left the desk to see to see if we had a book...for YOU...that does not allow you to use my computer system."
    Her :"Well...have you GOT the book?"
    Me, temper lost by the point :"No, sorry, looks like we're sold out."
    Her, huffily :"WELL then, what was the point in getting all huffy about me touching the computer!"
    *storms out*

um....wtf?!

What was the point? The point was YOU WERE BEHIND MY AREA!!!! Computer or no computer...OUT!
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Too bad that they isn't a feasible way to boobytrap an employee only area, for when SCs try to go in there.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Lulu View Post
        Her, huffily :"WELL then, what was the point in getting all huffy about me touching the computer!"
        *storms out*

um....wtf?!

Not to get huffy, what if your manager saw that, you would or could be fired. Or she might be from another bookstore spying on your guyes operations. And if a manager did see that, he would only listen to the customer, unless you had a cool manager. Hopefully that was caught on tape, so if it happenes next time, something can be done.
        Last edited by Barefootgirl; 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM. Reason: no need to quote entire post in replies
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

It's so annoying when they "pretend" like what they did was acceptable b/c of something you did or didn't do. RIGHT...like you're responsible for their stupidity.
          The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth Lulu View Post
            "Would you like me to come to your workplace and start messing around with YOUR computer? I bet you'd 'get all huffy' about that!"

They expect us to sympathize with them, but they will never, ever consider anyone else's POV.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
              Not to get huffy, what if your manager saw that, you would or could be fired.
              She'd have slapped the woman's hands and told her to get the hell away from my pc Thankfully, I have a great manager! I should also add that to GET to my computer, she had to physically lift the gate labled "staff only" and walk ALL the way around the desk...the weirdness was strong in that one

Comment

Wow, that was a pretty bold move for her to do. I take it this is the first time this situation has ever happened? (you know, 'cause only the real winners take it upon themselves to do your job).

You know what gets me as well is when people have to lean over the counter to look at the screen.
                This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I've got the opposite issue!

4 computers in my store are for both employees AND customers to use. But they don't realize this. The customer screen has several links like signing up for our club card, or finding the price of something, and a link to the company website. I think about every 1 in 100 customers figures this out. The small "Associate" link at the bottom is for employees only and that gets you to the good stuff like the corporate/internal website and inventory stuff.

Why have self service when the grunts will find (or not find) your item anyway
                  Last edited by Cyanocobalamin; 10-22-2006, 12:02 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Quoth Cyanocobalamin View Post
                    Why have self service when the grunts will find (or not find) your item anyway
                    on the off chance that humanity in general might get smart enough to actually do things for themselves.

I know. possibly the biggest long shot I've ever seen as well.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'd lay into someone who did that. You never ever touch someones computer at work. There could be important information on there. You would have had the right to prosecute for trespassing.

Comment

Oh man. Sometimes I'll be staring intently at the tech desk because I'm trying to screw a laptop hard disk drive bracket back on after doing a Data Migration procedure and all the sudden I'll feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up -- from stare and breath. I'll turn around and nearly drop the hard drive becuase there's a customer there (who never ever speaks english fluently) that wants me to help them pick out just the right mouse or printer ink or something. They'll actually come around the counter to the tech desk (there's usually a black rope up) and tap me on the shoulder.

Wtf.

CAN'T THEY WAIT THEIR TURN!? I'M A TECH NOT A MAGICIAN

Comment

"you have had access to company trade secrets, my orders are to now kill you"
                          DILLIGAF

Comment

Had something like this today. I was over in books (why, oh why, do we never have anyone scheduled on Saturday's of all days?) looking up something for a customer. Not only was he trying to read the computer screen, he was totally invading my personal space, he was standing thisclose to me. Here's the conversation:

SC: Well, the SC
                            Me: Yours truly

Me: We don't have that book in stock. We....(SC cuts me off here)
                            SC: Well, that's the book right there.
                            Me: Yes, but we don't have any
                            SC: But that's the title and author.
                            Me: (About to grind my teeth into nothingness) Yes, but we don't have it in stock. Oh, and it looks like we've discontinued it. (How I loved getting to say that!)
                            SC: I want to order it, then.
                            Me: Sorry, sir. It's been discontinued which means we no longer carry it and we can't order it.
                            SC: Well, I hate to say this, but I have to go to Border's now!
                            Me: (Thinking to myself) Why are you sorry? I'm sure not. Now you can go be their problem! Dork.

Usually, when I catch someone dicking around with one of our computers, I can usually fix it after shooing them away. One day, though, this asshat had so-o-o-o screwed up the computer in video, I had to call POS to get it reset. This was not fun as you usually wind up on terminal hold with them to get something done that takes two seconds. At least now the Guest Services terminal can kill (I love that term!) other terminals in the store.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

The computers where I work require an associate number and password to function so an SC wouldn't be able to do much with them, though I have had people leering over the counter trying to glance at my screen, I wish I had a yard stick I could smack their hands with. "Bad SC! stay back!"

Comment

Working...
                              X