This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's not fair

Guest: Yea Dave, I am coming in on March 20 and I notice that is when the spring rates go into effect. Since it's just one day, can I have the rental at the winter rate?

Me: no ma'am, the system wont let me do that

Guest: but I mean I cant afford the spring rate, can I have some leeway here?

Me: well I am offering a 25% discount at this time

Guest: can that be taken off the winter rate?

Me: no ma'am it is taken from the spring rate

Guest: even though it's only a day off, I mean thats not fair...we want the best rate possible. We have been coming down there for 11 years, I just dont think we are being treated fairly. I really dont. We never get a deal when we go there, you advertise all these huge discounts that we never get to take advantage of. I dont know how you sleep at night. Just scratch my name off your list, I am not coming there ever again

Me: well I am sorry to hear that

Guest: yea sure you are, you couldnt care less

Quoth vacation_rentals_suck View Post
    Guest: ...I dont know how you sleep at night. Just scratch my name off your list, I am not coming there ever again
    Any chance of getting that in writing?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

DING DING DING! Whaddo we have for her Johnny?

I class 25% off as a big discount. She could easily have taken advantage of that one.
      "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

I certainly can't afford a vacation rental house, but I don't call the company and bitch about it either. I just stay home.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Me: well I am sorry to hear that

Quoth MannersMakethMan View Post
          DING DING DING! Whaddo we have for her Johnny?
          Exactly what I was thinking.

If I were in VRC's place, the urge to give the customer a big old shit-eating grin and a "You're absolutely right - I couldn't care less!" would be hard to resist.
          Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Okay, the OP didn't mention how the discounted Spring rate compares to the Winter rate, but many places twist around the wording and discounting to make you think you're getting a better rate, when you're really not. Gotta wonder if it's something similar. And I agree, 25% is alreadr pretty darn generous.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

25% is a lot -- even if the spring rate is 3-4x the price of the winter one (higher demand and all that).

Comment

I can almost see the customers point. Its just one day off of the winter rates, which can be significant. That said, I had a simular conversation with a customer today.

I had to tell the poor lady that i could not accept a return becasue in effect, our computer sayed that we could not. Also as the steps do what she wanted me to do requierd contacting an unknown person of an unknown rank, and who has no listed contact information ( internal or otherwise ) and works in a warehouse 3 time zones over. Well its not happening. I hate to say it, but there are times when we just have to do what our computers tell us to. Ahh the joys of Modernization and decentralization.

Comment

Quoth alacazar View Post
                  I can almost see the customers point. Its just one day off of the winter rates, which can be significant.
                  However, the customer should have been aware of the rate structure and timing when they booked. When my family got a rental house last summer, it was clearly noted what weeks were which price levels. We were there during prime or just off of prime season but that was what worked for our schedules and what we wanted. So we willingly paid the price.

That customer picked when they wanted to go - if the didn't want to pay for it, they should have booked a different time.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                    That customer picked when they wanted to go - if the didn't want to pay for it, they should have booked a different time.
                    LOL very very true and I fully agree

Comment

I have a much much younger half-sister, and I have noticed in dealing with her that "not fair" almost certainly is fair.

I'm sympathetic to her (I'm a sister not a parent ) - "I loved this toy, I broke it, now I don't have it" is a great tragedy. But very sadly it is fair.

I think almost every time she uses the phrase it is where things are sadly very fair and she has to bear the consequences of her actions. Some thing's aren't unfair, but she doesn't say it then (because it isn't as upsetting as the consequences thing I think).

As with the OP. It is fair. Law of supply and demand allows you to charge more at certain times of year, prices will be worked out to allow for a reasonable profit and reasonable occupancy all year round. SC wants to go when there is greater demand and you can charge a higher price. Perfectly fair.

I think I've mentioned before that I believe there are some phrases that are only used when they aren't true. In my line of work it's "I know my rights", they never do. "False advertising" seems to only be bandied about when it isn't - in real cases they either don't complain or quietly report it to the right people. "I'm a good customer" - if you're going on about yourself, you're not...

Possibly "It's not fair" is another.

On the other hand I agree with my baby sister that "fair" is pretty depressing, and I don't want to always have to face fair consequences for my actions

Victoria J

Comment

How do I sleep at night? On a big pile of money, with many beautiful women.

(2 cookies for the reference...)
                        Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
                          How do I sleep at night? On a big pile of money, with many beautiful women.

(2 cookies for the reference...)
                          2 cookies is fairly generous for a Simpsons quote.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Ok, I'll just eat one of them myself.
                            Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

But that's not fair!
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X